Pre Workout

Jayik1

Reaction score
Obviously there's much controversy over the use of Creatine and how it affects DHT. What I wanted to know is if anyone has experienced shedding from the use of pre workout supplements since almost all of them contain 1g of Creatine Nitrate.
Is That low of a dose or the fact that it's Nitrate and not Monohydrate going to cause any negative effect on hair?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a bit of a grey area. Here's what we know about creatine so far (studies posted in the other creatine thread):

-The type of salt creatine comes in (or any pharmaceutical for that matter) has little bearing on its pharmacological effect, it may affect the pharmacokinetics of creatine but not so much the pharmacodynamics. The whole idea of using creatine nitrate in pre-workouts is because nitrates induce vasodilation, which supposedly gives you better 'pumps'.

-That one study with South African rugby players did show an increase in serum DHT when using a 25g/day loading dose for a certain amount of time

-Serum DHT and hair loss aren't correlated, it's more to do with the individual's 5AR activity in the scalp alone. This is why Saw Palmetto doesn't work for Androgenetic Alopecia despite the fact that it lowers DHT.

-Creatine is found in raw food, 500g of blue rare steak would contain about 2.25g of creatine, 500g of salmon or tuna sashimi would provide about 2g as well. Many would reason that no one eats this much at a time but honestly I find myself eating half a kilogram of steak or sushi at least a couple times per month, sometimes even as often as three or four times per week!

-People on bodybuilding forum who use finasteride or dutasteride concomitantly with creatine doses of 5g/day notice no shedding.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about 1g creatine at all as some people are consuming that much in food alone. I use AllMax Nutrition Quickmass which has 3.86g of creatine per 4 scoop serving and BSN N.O. Xplode which has 2.5g creatine per serving. I'll take both of these on the same day 3 times a week when I'm at home in HK (which I currently am now) which means I'm using it for around 6 months out of the year. That's 6.36g creatine in addition to any food I'm eating that contains creatine on those 3 days. I notice no increase in shedding at all.