Post finasteride study (2013)

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Neuroactive Steroid Levels are Modified in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Plasma of Post-Finasteride Patients Showing Persistent Sexual Side Effects and Anxious/Depressive Symptomatology

Introduction. Observations performed in a subset of subjects treated with finasteride (an inhibitor of the enzyme 5a-reductase) for male pattern hair loss seem to indicate that sexual dysfunction as well as anxious/depressive symptomatology may occur at the end of the treatment and continue after discontinuation.

Aim. A possible hypothesis to explain depression symptoms after finasteride treatment might be impairment in the levels of neuroactive steroids. Therefore, neuroactive steroid levels were evaluated in paired plasma and cerebrospinal fluid samples obtained from male patients who received finasteride for the treatment of androgenic alopecia and who, after drug discontinuation, still show long-term sexual side effects as well as anxious/depressive symptomatology.

Methods. The levels of neuroactive steroids were evaluated by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry in three postfinasteride patients and compared to those of five healthy controls. Main Outcome Measures. Neuroactive steroid levels in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of postfinasteride patients and healthy controls.

Results. At the examination, the three postfinasteride patients reported muscular stiffness, cramps, tremors, and chronic fatigue in the absence of clinical evidence of any muscular disorder or strength reduction. Severity and frequency of the anxious/depressive symptoms were quite variable; overall, all the subjects had a fairly complex and constant neuropsychiatric pattern. Assessment of neuroactive steroid levels in patients showed some interindi- vidual differences. However, the most important finding was the comparison of their neuroactive steroid levels with those of healthy controls. Indeed, decreased levels of tetrahydroprogesterone, isopregnanolone and dihydrotest- osterone and increased levels of testosterone and 17b-estradiol were reported in cerebrospinal fluid of postfinasteride patients. Moreover, decreased levels of dihydroprogesterone and increased levels of 5a-androstane-3a,17b-diol and 17b-estradiol were observed in plasma.

Conclusion. The present observations confirm that an impairment of neuroactive steroid levels, associated with depression symptoms, is still present in androgenic alopecia patients treated with finasteride despite the discontinu- ation of the treatment.

Link to study from my dropbox (hopefully you can download it)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdhrgu5gm1vutd3/PostFin.pdf

DuSZG0w.png

krdCCzs.png

l1LCw0H.png

bibz

Established Member
Reaction score
Bla Bla Bla... we already know all of this ****s, what you want???
Talking again again and agaiiiiin about finasteride sides? We know that this **** is no sides free drug but also the most efficient, we can't do anything about that, just wait for CB (Efficiency x10, Sides /10)

- - - Updated - - -

There is only a small % of people who got sides on finasteride(and the 1/3 is all about the placebo effect), so stop affraid young guyz with your ****ty papers only cuz you failed with your traitment

- - - Updated - - -

The only real sides of finasteride is fatigue, muscle tension etc.. if you think about getting Sexual sides (here is a big placebo effect, already aware about these sides and that before starting finasteride...) just go to the gym, fit, get 6 pack abs, be confident and that's all, sexual sides for a BIG MAJORITY are only in their head.. be a MAN not a PUSSY!

- - - Updated - - -

And Im telling that because few years ago, I took finasteride for several months even if I was terrified by horror stories about sexual sides, and HAVING ALREADY THESE STORIES IN MY HEAD just ****ed up my mind.. Every time just before having sex with my GF I was like "Omg I hope that Im gonna keep a good erection etc..." and 2 min later..no more erection.. So I stop finasteride for a year then I decided to go back with it because fighting male pattern baldness without Anti Androgen it's like having a gun but no munition..useless. So I went back on finasteride, and since 1year and few days Im on finasteride and Im practising hard fit and sport, AND NO MORE SIDES!
I'm convinced that its all about confindence, If you know that you ROCK, so YOU ROCK lol

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
it's just a study meant to help inform people who believe they have post finasteride syndrome.

I always recommend finasteride to anyone who is distressed by hair loss, both on the forums and in real life.
and I also agree with the advise in studies that side effects should NOT be a deciding factor in the decision to take finasteride.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
it's just a study meant to help inform people who believe they have post finasteride syndrome.

I always recommend finasteride to anyone who is distressed by hair loss, both on the forums and in real life.
and I also agree with the advise in studies that side effects should NOT be a deciding factor in the decision to take finasteride.

But it should be a deciding factor in whether or not you should stop....finasteride can be a dangerous drug -- more so than minoxidil...and more men have sides beyond the numbers the drug company say's ....no two ways about that

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
Bla Bla Bla... we already know all of this ****s, what you want???
Talking again again and agaiiiiin about finasteride sides? We know that this **** is no sides free drug but also the most efficient, we can't do anything about that, just wait for CB (Efficiency x10, Sides /10)

- - - Updated - - -

There is only a small % of people who got sides on finasteride(and the 1/3 is all about the placebo effect), so stop affraid young guyz with your ****ty papers only cuz you failed with your traitment

- - - Updated - - -

The only real sides of finasteride is fatigue, muscle tension etc.. if you think about getting Sexual sides (here is a big placebo effect, already aware about these sides and that before starting finasteride...) just go to the gym, fit, get 6 pack abs, be confident and that's all, sexual sides for a BIG MAJORITY are only in their head.. be a MAN not a PUSSY!

- - - Updated - - -

And Im telling that because few years ago, I took finasteride for several months even if I was terrified by horror stories about sexual sides, and HAVING ALREADY THESE STORIES IN MY HEAD just ****ed up my mind.. Every time just before having sex with my GF I was like "Omg I hope that Im gonna keep a good erection etc..." and 2 min later..no more erection.. So I stop finasteride for a year then I decided to go back with it because fighting male pattern baldness without Anti Androgen it's like having a gun but no munition..useless. So I went back on finasteride, and since 1year and few days Im on finasteride and Im practising hard fit and sport, AND NO MORE SIDES!
I'm convinced that its all about confindence, If you know that you ROCK, so YOU ROCK lol

I'm not entirely sure what your argument is? Are you trying to say that the side effects don't matter, even though they may be permanent and destructive to one's life? I personally find this study very informative and one of the few that looks solely at the negatives of finasteride.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
But it should be a deciding factor in whether or not you should stop....finasteride can be a dangerous drug -- more so than minoxidil...and more men have sides beyond the numbers the drug company say's ....no two ways about that

sorry, i only meant in commencing the drug.

if you are already on the drug or have used it before; then side effects are a deciding factor.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow, so after countless debates in my head and deciding to start finasteride, this scared the **** out of me. . .FML!!

Sparky4444

Reaction score
wow, so after countless debates in my head and deciding to start finasteride, this scared the **** out of me. . .FML!!

I think you're ok to try it...it's not going to harm you after a few months, or even a year or so....But you just have to be honest with the sides...you might not get one side-effect....It's once your on it for years that you might have to be concerned...

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmmm. . . thank you sparxx. . . .but i would have to stay on it for years if i start it, so what do i do?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
hmmm. . . thank you sparxx. . . .but i would have to stay on it for years if i start it, so what do i do?

I say start taking it and give it 6 months....even if you experience some sides off the start, let me them work itself out as most times your body equalizes it out....After 6 months you'll know if your hairloss has stabilized, at least...

..remember, minimal expectations here is to stall the hairloss the best you can...don't expect regrowth....the strategy is to hold on to what you have as best as you can and wait for another treatment to come along...

...I think if you respond well to taking the drug, a couple of years on it won't hurt....The ONLY reason I am suggesting this is because in the next couple of years there will be a new treatment out that will blow away finasteride and minoxidil...All signs are pointing to that ....So hold on to what you have now, the best you can, and take it one year at a time....

that's my advice...I took finasteride for over 6 years and it was only until the last couple years of that did I notice significant sides....Now, after being off of it for over 4 years, I do not believe I am any worse for having taken the drug -- but that may still play out for the years to come, we don't know...

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

You are wrong.
The sexual sides are VERY real.
I did not psyc myself out after a FINE 8 months and previous experiences with finasteride.
When you have ZERO sex drive, cant get it up even trying with a gorgeous girl in front of you, your balls suck painfully into your body, your penis burns, and eventually it just decides to atrophy to a hard purple mushroom shaped painful miniture version of itself (like a finger with string tied around it) then you realize there are some very dangerous possible sides.
Now stop and start taking the drug THREE times with the same situation happening and you will see some of the "horror stories" can be very real.

Yes it maybe happens in 2% of guys but when you are in that 2% its a very scary thing.
Higher doses of finasteride are used in gender hormone therapy so its a very strange drug.

darwin101

Reaction score
Yeah, the sexual side effects of finasteride are extremely real.

After a few months on finasteride I simply could not get a hard erection. It was almost impossible. This situation lasted for months.

I finally stopped using it because my girlfriend wasn't very pleased. After a week off of it I was okay again.

That was a couple of years ago and I'll never try it again.

I'm not saying the side effects will happen to you, but don't ignore the anecdotal evidence as if it isn't true. It most definitely is.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Yes it maybe happens in 2% of guys but when you are in that 2% its a very scary thing.
Higher doses of finasteride are used in gender hormone therapy so its a very strange drug.

For me, that 2% figure is complete BS -- It is higher than that, but the numbers are fudged by the corporate drug company juggernaut machine ....

EmteC

Reaction score
...I think if you respond well to taking the drug, a couple of years on it won't hurt....The ONLY reason I am suggesting this is because in the next couple of years there will be a new treatment out that will blow away finasteride and minoxidil...All signs are pointing to that ....

And what new treatment would that be? Moreover, what are the "signs" pointing to the inevitable arrival of that treatment?

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Pointless study. They spent money on something that a bunch of average people figured on a forum. The study is also pretty flawed on the basis it was done on only three patients. Instead of teaching us something that is already known maybe they should spend money on finding the connect between people that get side effects and the ones don't. This is far more useful.