Post 18 Month hair transplant Help / Nightmare. Please Advise

johnjoe123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, Gentleman

I would like to post my story and ask other members of their experiences and opinions. I am post 18 months strip hair transplant patient. I've reached post 18 months this month. And am experiencing some trouble. And I would like to know what everyone thinks.

To begin to tell my story I'll start from the beginning. 18 months ago I received a 3000 graft strip hair transplant surgey from a reputable office within the United States. (Office I will not name. Not important at this time)

The surgery and recovery period went along as normal. From the day after the surgery to 3-6 months after the surgery my transplant was healing normal and beginning to grow normally with no issues. It seemed to be going along just like any other hair transplant surgery.

At the 6-12 month mark I was very pleased with the results. My hairline grew and thickened. I was a changed man. The large amount of money I paid for the surgery seemed to do what I was looking for. At the 12 month mark I had a rejuvenated hairline and thickened hairline. I was very pleased at the results. I was getting noticed by women and receiving compliments from friends "oh you look great" from those who didn't know I got a hair transplant. At the 12 month mark I thought my life has changed for better.

Now here's where my nightmare begins.

Around the 14 month post surgery mark. I begin to notice in the recipient area strands of hair falling out. As the days went on I've noticed more and more strands of hair fall out in the recipient area. When I combed my hair or ran my fingers thru my head or put a hat on I would notice mutlple strands of hair falling out.

I tried to remain calm and not get excited. As weeks went on entering into the 15-16 month post op. Critical mass had starting to set in. My recipient area, my newly transplanted hairline began to thin out substantially completely changing the way I looked 6 months earlier at the 12 month mark.

Today at the 18 month mark, my recipient area is thinning and falling out quite substantially. It has totally changed from the 12 month mark to absolutely WORST. I was thrilled and pleased at 12 months I had a new thick hairline that I paid a lot of money for. Now at the 18 month mark I have a thinning out hairline in the recipient area that's getting worst by the day. It's starting to give a "plugs" look to area. It's thinning out so bad that it's making it noticble of the evenly spaced deliberate locations of the strands of hair(grafts) placed in the hairline. Now it's getting worst each day. Now the complements from friends turned into ball breaking to " dude what you get plugs"

I have no idea what made the turn to worst between the 12-18 month mark. I am speechless. I was under the impression that the 18 month mark was the golden month of transplant surgeries where it is at its best. Well I'm at my worst. And now I can't even just give up and shave my head because I have an enormous scar on the back of my head that I need to hide. I'm royally screwed and at a bad place.

I thought I went to a reputable transplant office. I researched hair transplant surgeries couple years before doing it. Now I feel like I should have just threw in the towel and shaved my head instead of paying a large among of money to put a scar on the back of my head to where I'm gonna just have to shave my head anyway due to the recipient area thinning out so horribly.

I know there's nothing anyone on here can do to help. I'm just wondering if any has any knowledge of this or heard of something like this? Did I just get a bad transplant? Bad Doctor? Or is it some,thing I did? I already know it's only going to get worst its not gonna grow back. I'm just astonished the dramatic difference at the 12 month and 18 month mark had shown. I really screwed myself.

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated. Also I won't post pictures of my head or post the doctors information. I would prefer to leave that stuff offline. But any thoughts or experience anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thank you, gentlemen. Hope you have better luck than me. God truly doesn't want me to have hair on my head this life. Haha.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, Gentleman

I would like to post my story and ask other members of their experiences and opinions. I am post 18 months strip hair transplant patient. I've reached post 18 months this month. And am experiencing some trouble. And I would like to know what everyone thinks.

To begin to tell my story I'll start from the beginning. 18 months ago I received a 3000 graft strip hair transplant surgey from a reputable office within the United States. (Office I will not name. Not important at this time)

The surgery and recovery period went along as normal. From the day after the surgery to 3-6 months after the surgery my transplant was healing normal and beginning to grow normally with no issues. It seemed to be going along just like any other hair transplant surgery.

At the 6-12 month mark I was very pleased with the results. My hairline grew and thickened. I was a changed man. The large amount of money I paid for the surgery seemed to do what I was looking for. At the 12 month mark I had a rejuvenated hairline and thickened hairline. I was very pleased at the results. I was getting noticed by women and receiving compliments from friends "oh you look great" from those who didn't know I got a hair transplant. At the 12 month mark I thought my life has changed for better.

Around the 14 month post surgery mark. I begin to notice in the recipient area strands of hair falling out. As the days went on I've noticed more and more strands of hair fall out in the recipient area. When I combed my hair or ran my fingers thru my head or put a hat on I would notice mutlple strands of hair falling out.

I tried to remain calm and not get excited. As weeks went on entering into the 15-16 month post op. Critical mass had starting to set in. My recipient area, my newly transplanted hairline began to thin out substantially completely changing the way I looked 6 months earlier at the 12 month mark.

Today at the 18 month mark, my recipient area is thinning and falling out quite substantially. It has totally changed from the 12 month mark to absolutely WORST. I was thrilled and pleased at 12 months I had a new thick hairline that I paid a lot of money for. Now at the 18 month mark I have a thinning out hairline in the recipient area that's getting worst by the day. It's starting to give a "plugs" look to area. It's thinning out so bad that it's making it noticble of the evenly spaced deliberate locations of the strands of hair(grafts) placed in the hairline. Now it's getting worst each day. Now the complements from friends turned into ball breaking to " dude what you get plugs"

I have no idea what made the turn to worst between the 12-18 month mark. I am speechless. I was under the impression that the 18 month mark was the golden month of transplant surgeries where it is at its best. Well I'm at my worst. And now I can't even just give up and shave my head because I have an enormous scar on the back of my head that I need to hide. I'm royally screwed and at a bad place.

I thought I went to a reputable transplant office. I researched hair transplant surgeries couple years before doing it. Now I feel like I should have just threw in the towel and shaved my head instead of paying a large among of money to put a scar on the back of my head to where I'm gonna just have to shave my head anyway due to the recipient area thinning out so horribly.

I know there's nothing anyone on here can do to help. I'm just wondering if any has any knowledge of this or heard of something like this? Did I just get a bad transplant? Bad Doctor? Or is it some,thing I did? I already know it's only going to get worst its not gonna grow back. I'm just astonished the dramatic difference at the 12 month and 18 month mark had shown. I really screwed myself.

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated. Also I won't post pictures of my head or post the doctors information. I would prefer to leave that stuff offline. But any thoughts or experience anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thank you, gentlemen. Hope you have better luck than me. God truly doesn't want me to have hair on my head this life. Haha.

Why post this kind of thing without photos? I don't understand.

Put some before and after photos up, there is also the question of finasteride, shock loss, and where the hair was extracted from exactly.

You can't know anything without photos and this information.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you taking finasteride to lower your DHT level? If the grafts grew out properly and you are not on finasteride then I imagine they are shedding due to DHT. Technically they should be less susceptible to it but yours may not be.

There are other possibilities, some prescribed medications can cause hair loss, also an improper diet/vitamins or scalp issues.

I would guess it's DHT though.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you taking finasteride to lower your DHT level? If the grafts grew out properly and you are not on finasteride then I imagine they are shedding due to DHT. Technically they should be less susceptible to it but yours may not be.

There are other possibilities, some prescribed medications can cause hair loss, also an improper diet/vitamins or scalp issues.

I would guess it's DHT though.

Without pics for all we know the transplant was over the top of old hairs and they have just fallen out. It is unlikely that with a strip they would have extracted too high.

Amis Sima

My Regimen
Reaction score
How old are you ? And yes , pics are nice idea. You can censor your eyes if you are too private etc.

shookwun

Reaction score
All that effort, and no pictures .

Have you ever considered that you are loosing additional non-transplanted hair between your transplant?

First, and fore most are you on finasteride?

ztoz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, Gentleman

The only way to get a diagnosis of the problem is to have a diagnosis with a hair transplant surgeon ,
If you are losing hair from the top of your head , you should also be looking at the donor area, are you losing hair from there also ?
Was the donor site too high at the back of your neck ? so you are now experiencing baldness due to a wrong donor site .being selected by your surgeon or do you have a medical condition that is causing your problem ?
If hair is selected from a correct donor site it usually keeps growing and it just doesn't stop after 18 months

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen this several times. I've read somewhere that if the extraction of the graft is not completely but mildly f*cked up, then the graft will cycle once then die. Can anyone confirm that this is actually a real thing? might be happening to this poor fella.