Possibly Relevant: News On The 21st Century Cures Act

Jeca Tatu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey people, for those who were curious of any development on this, here it is:

https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/30...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

After three years of debate, countless hearings, and pleas from patient advocates, lawmakers on Tuesday approved legislation to speed new medicines to market and to authorize an additional $4.8 billion in spending for medical research. (...) The Cures Act includes numerous provisions that set the stage for the faster approval of prescription drugs and medical devices. (...) Critics had a host of concerns. Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) said the bill would weaken regulations on medical devices, allow drugs to be approved with only limited evidence of the drug’s safety and efficacy, and rush the use of new and unproven antibiotics.(...) Cures Act provisions [that] will allow the FDA to consider “real world evidence” when approving drugs and allow companies to submit summaries of study data, rather than full clinical trial records.(...)

Last edited:

Gone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do want this passed. It's true that it could make it harder to find out what "really works" since clinical studies won't be as regulated as they are now, but I think it is a worthy tradeoff. We'll have to look harder through the muck for things that work, and companies will take advantage of misinformation, but there will be more treatments on the market, and sooner. If someone has a good idea, an idea for what will eventually become the cure, then they may be able to actualize it within a few years. That's the best part. f*** off with the 12 year bullshit.

Morning Norwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, I can only see how this would be bad for the uninformed. And those people are getting scammed anyway with snake oils that don't even purport to have fda backing.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Although proponents claim these new measures will not lower safety standards, numerous critics, including some former Food and Drug Administration officials and national consumer groups, disagree. They have argued that FDA already moves faster than similar agencies in other countries.

large.jpg

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Americaaaaaaaa Fark Yeah!

I agree with Hell. USA is old and tardy. Held back by issues from an old world paradigm that doesn't exist anywhere other than paper based legislation.

Go Japan!!!
Go Japan!!!
Go Japan!!!