Possible to quit minoxidil slowly?

JonA

Reaction score
Hi guys,, im new on here. I have been on minoxidil 5% for about 6 months now. Personally, i hate the stuff. I havent grown anything except maybe 2-3 hairs on the temples.I really hoped for regrowth on top as i am diffuse thinning, but it hasnt grown anything.Perhaps thickening slightly.

My hair just feels like straw since ive been on minoxidil, and the more im on it, i think the worse it gets.

My question is... Would it be possible to slowly come off minoxidil and not get the dreaded shed. Perhaps only applying it once a day for 2-3 months then once every 1.5 days..... and so on until you stop??

And has anybody quit minoxidil, without having a huge shed.??

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you been using the foam. It's kinda fun in a way. I haven't noticed great results either, but I think it makes my hair last longer. I wouldn't stop using it unless you're ok with losing your hair again. Besides, six months may not be enough time to see how well of a responder you are. Give it more time if you can. That's just my opinion. To answer your question, I would think coming off minoxidil slowly would probably just cause you to bald slower than if you gave it up cold turkey. The only way you wouldn't lose hair, I would think, would be if it really isn't doing anything at all, but there's the possibility it's maintaining.

I wanted to ask you about your finasteride sides. What were they? Did they go away after quitting? If so, how long did they take? I'm curious because I gave up finasteride because of sides as well, although I don't feel like my libido has fully returned.

JonA

Reaction score
Well I think minoxidil may be helping in keeping my hair, but im going to cut down to 1x a day. Because i think my face and head(on top of ears) have gone bigger,, and i dont like it.

On the finasteride effects.. i was on it for 4months.. Ive read alot and experieced a lot. I feel finasteride is the worste drug in the world because it has put me in serious depression plus low libido,weaker n maybe smaller erections. I dont really want to talk bout it too much,, cos ive notice no matter how real the side effects are,, people on this forum just gun u down n call u a liar bla bla.. Im trying to sort them,, but my sexual problems still havent returned to normal.. and i dont feel the same either (physcologically). Ive had a blood test but will go and see an andrologist or urologist or someone who can look at me in detail.

Anyway has anyone cut down their minoxidil to just 1x a day? I just want to mantain now.. not regrow??

JonA

Reaction score
About the scalp exercise,,, im not sure if this has made my head (just on top of ears) bigger or is it the minoxidil.?? hmm

Wat i ment to ask is,, has anyone cut down to using minoxidil liquid,, to just once a day and still maintaind??