Possible Mild Allergy Toward Finasteride. What Is The Next Step Now?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, as title says, I am suspecting to have a possible allergy to finasteride. To keep it short, I developed a stuffy nose a few weeks after using finasteride. It has lasted now for atleast a month or two. It is barely noticeable at sometimes and the opposite at other times.

Baically what I'm wondering is: Do you guys happen to know any substitute that can work as good as oral finasteride? My main idea was topical finasteride, but I have no experience about it. Perhaps someone could tell me more about it...

Things I'm not considering: RU or Dutasteride.

Thanks guys.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it goes away after a break. If not, there's this Italian online pharmacy that sells topical finasteride. You need to send them a picture of your prescription for oral finasteride to be able to buy it though. GL man!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully it goes away after a break. If not, there's this Italian online pharmacy that sells topical finasteride. You need to send them a picture of your prescription for oral finasteride to be able to buy it though. GL man!

Link? Thanks for answering. Is topical finasteride as powerful as oral? When do I apply it, and for how long? Appreicate all the answers man

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Look at some of the topical finasteride threads, there should be a link there. I can't remember the name.

I think you apply it once a day. However, I'm not convinced that topical finasteride works yet, I mean either it works and goes systemic or it doesn't work IMO. Or maybe less of it goes systemic either way, which might result in fewer sides. I might be wrong though.

After your break you could also try a lower dose of finasteride, like 0.25. There's not a lot of difference in terms of DHT being inhibited and a lower dose maybe won't give you a stuffed nose. I personally believe that if 1mg works to stop/slow down hair loss for you, 0.25mg will too. Maybe not as well, but I don't believe in night and day results when it comes to finasteride doses.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baically what I'm wondering is: Do you guys happen to know any substitute that can work as good as oral finasteride? My main idea was topical finasteride, but I have no experience about it. Perhaps someone could tell me more about it...

Things I'm not considering: RU or Dutasteride.

Thanks guys.

from what I’ve heard topical finasteride is extremely inferior compared to oral. You’ll need an anti androgen if you want a alternative. However, since you ruled out RU I’m guessing you’re not interested in CB (breezula) or anything similar?
From my understanding only an anti androgen or dht blocker can halt the balding process.
You can give natural options like saw palmetto or pumpkin seed oil a try as they are less potent, but they won’t likely work.

I don’t see many other options to potentially halt balding besides maybe LLLT. Although It doesn’t work for everyone based on my understanding.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
from what I’ve heard topical finasteride is extremely inferior compared to oral. You’ll need an anti androgen if you want a alternative. However, since you ruled out RU I’m guessing you’re not interested in CB (breezula) or anything similar?
From my understanding only an anti androgen or dht blocker can halt the balding process.
You can give natural options like saw palmetto or pumpkin seed oil a try as they are less potent, but they won’t likely work.

I don’t see many other options to potentially halt balding besides maybe LLLT. Although It doesn’t work for everyone based on my understanding.

Amazing. I'm literally fucked at this point.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at some of the topical finasteride threads, there should be a link there. I can't remember the name.

I think you apply it once a day. However, I'm not convinced that topical finasteride works yet, I mean either it works and goes systemic or it doesn't work IMO. Or maybe less of it goes systemic either way, which might result in fewer sides. I might be wrong though.

After your break you could also try a lower dose of finasteride, like 0.25. There's not a lot of difference in terms of DHT being inhibited and a lower dose maybe won't give you a stuffed nose. I personally believe that if 1mg works to stop/slow down hair loss for you, 0.25mg will too. Maybe not as well, but I don't believe in night and day results when it comes to finasteride doses.

I initially began with 1 mg, dropped to 0.5 and now I've been taking either 0.33/0.25 and the issue still remains. I don't ducking get it. I've seen literally NO POST complaining about a stuffy nose because of finasteride. I'm dropping it for a week and I'm just hoping the nose is because of another reason

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
My symptoms lately:

stuffy nose for about 2 months
Dry/irritated throat every now and then for a couple of weeks
Constipation began yesterday lol
Also have mouth herpes now
I'm extremely thirsty literally all the time as well ?

I don't think anything is correlated to finasteride except the stuffy nose

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there generic versions of Finasteride (with other manufacturers etc) that could offer other sides/no sides at all? What I'm trying to say is I might be allergic to one of the binding agents rather than for finasteride itself

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Are there generic versions of Finasteride (with other manufacturers etc) that could offer other sides/no sides at all? What I'm trying to say is I might be allergic to one of the binding agents rather than for finasteride itself

That was why I asked about lactose, because propecia contains that and so might the generic alternatives too.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
That was why I asked about lactose, because propecia contains that and so might the generic alternatives too.

Have you ever came across anyone with similar side/reaction as mine? If so, how'd they continue from there on?

stupidkoko

Reaction score
Have you ever came across anyone with similar side/reaction as mine? If so, how'd they continue from there on?

I have seen posts before about swelling, breathing problems and such but don't really have an answer for any solution other than that finasteride tablets have lactose. Not alot of people know about it, which is something you can always test yourself for so that you at least get closer to the cause.

beaner

Reaction score
I can see that this site is just as ridiculous as it was 10 years ago but at least it's good for a laugh. I'm not sure if you're a troll or serious. None of those are side effects of finasteride including your stuffy nose and especially your mouth herpes, whatever the hell that is. If you have mouth sores, I suggest you see a doctor and keep your mouth away from unknown holes. You should probably just stay away from the drug or you're just going to keep blaming everything on it.You seem too paranoid.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can see that this site is just as ridiculous as it was 10 years ago but at least it's good for a laugh. I'm not sure if you're a troll or serious. None of those are side effects of finasteride including your stuffy nose and especially your mouth herpes, whatever the hell that is. If you have mouth sores, I suggest you see a doctor and keep your mouth away from unknown holes. You should probably just stay away from the drug or you're just going to keep blaming everything on it.You seem too paranoid.
Damn @Alphalete look at this dudes join date. Total OG. He was posting about his hair loss when you were still wetting the bed smh

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score

bruh why wouldnt it be an allergic reaction? even minor? drugs.com & mayoclinic claim that stuffy nose is uncommon side effect but it exists nonetheless

beaner

Reaction score
bruh why wouldnt it be an allergic reaction? even minor? drugs.com & mayoclinic claim that stuffy nose is uncommon side effect but it exists nonetheless

Think about it. There are more obvious reasons why you'd have a stuffy nose. Regular allergies to dust, pollen, etc. would be more likely than a pilll that lowers your DHT and it's very unlikely to be caused by the binders/fillers used in the pills. I used to browse this forum regularly and people blamed all sorts of common ailments on finasteride when in reality it probably caused almost none of them and many of them were imagined. One guy said he felt like he took acid after his first Propecia pill. You're literally the first person I've seen complain of a stuffy nose---sit back and think about how ridiculous this all is. You're going to think finasteride is the cause of any medical problem that you have if you keep up this attitude. You need to take it and not think about it or just not take it at all. I'm signing out for another 5 years. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Think about it. There are more obvious reasons why you'd have a stuffy nose. Regular allergies to dust, pollen, etc. would be more likely than a pilll that lowers your DHT and it's very unlikely to be caused by the binders/fillers used in the pills. I used to browse this forum regularly and people blamed all sorts of common ailments on finasteride when in reality it probably caused almost none of them and many of them were imagined. One guy said he felt like he took acid after his first Propecia pill. You're literally the first person I've seen complain of a stuffy nose---sit back and think about how ridiculous this all is. You're going to think finasteride is the cause of any medical problem that you have if you keep up this attitude. You need to take it and not think about it or just not take it at all. I'm signing out for another 5 years. Good luck :)

alright, thanks for your input man