Possible Finasteride Hair Loss This Soon?

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I started finasteride 16 days ago, since then the first week I noticed everytime I run my fingers through my hair i lose 1-3 thick or very thick hairs. I lose them from sides and back too. Anyhow it started 1 week after I started finasteride (1mg/day).

Since then I got pretty much hypochondriac and read a lot about telogen effluvium and hyperandrogenicity. Is it possible to get those that soon (1 week)? I'll go to check it with my derma but I'll have to wait 1 month and 12 days till my apointment.

I saw some members had similar experience, is this normal? Should I stop earlier than later?

Thanks.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1-3 hairs is an irrelevant amount to make a judgement on but if you have significantly increased shedding from finasteride a few weeks after starting and it doesn't disperse after another couple of weeks you might be allergic or something.

"Should I stop earlier than later?"

If you have significantly increased shedding on finasteride that doesn't stop then you should probably stop but "stopping later" doesn't exist. If you want to keep your hair for as long as possible, you need to keep using finasteride. If you stop using finasteride after 5 years then you will go bald just like you would 5 years earlier if you didn't use finasteride. That all assumes that you get decreased hair loss from using it (like most do).

Last edited:

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
1-3 hairs is an irrelevant amount to make a judgement on but if you have significantly increased shedding from finasteride a few weeks after starting and it doesn't disperse after another couple of weeks you might be allergic or something.

"Should I stop earlier than later?"

If you have significantly increased shedding on finasteride that doesn't stop then you should probably stop but "stopping later" doesn't exist. If you want to keep your hair for as long as possible, you need to keep using finasteride. If you stop using finasteride after 5 years then you will go bald just like you would 5 years earlier if you didn't use finasteride. That all assumes that you get decreased hair loss from using it (like most do).

3 hairs is pretty much irrelevant, but if I repeat the action lets say 10 times they may become 30. I got scared because I lose from the back and sides. I have very thick hair in these areas so it's very noticeable when I shed 40-50. Also when this all started I lost a little bit of hair from my forearms, the worst day I noticed like 30 of them from each at my office white table. But it decreased in the timespam of a week to just a few. How much should I try before giving up?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride for a little under a month and I have the same issue. Every time I shower I lose A LOT of hairs. Yesterday I rubbed my head aggressively for about half a minute over the sink and lost 15-20. It sucks because my hair is now noticeably thin and any gust of wind will show a lot of scalp. I’m only 22 and this is ruining my life. If you’re as thin as me, toppik works very well. I’m going to stick with finasteride until toppik can’t cover it up anymore and then see what I’m going to do.

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride for a little under a month and I have the same issue. Every time I shower I lose A LOT of hairs. Yesterday I rubbed my head aggressively for about half a minute over the sink and lost 15-20. It sucks because my hair is now noticeably thin and any gust of wind will show a lot of scalp. I’m only 22 and this is ruining my life. If you’re as thin as me, toppik works very well. I’m going to stick with finasteride until toppik can’t cover it up anymore and then see what I’m going to do.

You noticed the loss when you started?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
You noticed the loss when you started?
Well I wasn’t paying attention to it before I started. I thought all he hairs that were in the bathroom were my moms. Little did I know

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I wasn’t paying attention to it before I started. I thought all he hairs that were in the bathroom were my moms. Little did I know

Mine's for sure after I started finas since I was paying attention before. How many do you lose?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine's for sure after I started finas since I was paying attention before. How many do you lose?
Dude, I lose a lot and I’m freaking out haha. I’ll lost like 50 in the shower (I have longer hair so sometimes it clogs the drain, I have a hair catcher in it). Then I’ll lose maybe 5-10 in the sink. If I pull my hair back I have noticeable diffuse thinning throughout my whole scalp. My crown is taking the biggest hit. I’ve been reading about hyperandrogenism and I’m starting to get really anxious.

How much do you lose in the shower?

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, I lose a lot and I’m freaking out haha. I’ll lost like 50 in the shower (I have longer hair so sometimes it clogs the drain, I have a hair catcher in it). Then I’ll lose maybe 5-10 in the sink. If I pull my hair back I have noticeable diffuse thinning throughout my whole scalp. My crown is taking the biggest hit. I’ve been reading about hyperandrogenism and I’m starting to get really anxious.

How much do you lose in the shower?

I counted from 50 to 100 from shower, I have long hair too. Then I lose 15-30 from styling. I find some in mi pillows and at work I shed at least 10+. So lots of hairs also my crown took the biggest hit. The hairs I lost all of them had the white bulb I took a look at Telogen Effluvium and hyperandrogenism but I don't know what to do. Wait or stop finas...

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I counted from 50 to 100 from shower, I have long hair too. Then I lose 15-30 from styling. I find some in mi pillows and at work I shed at least 10+. So lots of hairs also my crown took the biggest hit. The hairs I lost all of them had the white bulb I took a look at Telogen Effluvium and hyperandrogenism but I don't know what to do. Wait or stop finas...
I’d say wait man. I think my diffuse thinning could be Telogen Effluvium because I have been stuck in a rough depression for the past 4 months but now it’s even worse because the hair loss is obviously making my depression deeper. I don’t think the white bulb means much. Look man I’m in the same boat as you, I’m 22 years old next month and I can’t even go out comfortably without putting toppik in my hair.

thickloss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d say wait man. I think my diffuse thinning could be Telogen Effluvium because I have been stuck in a rough depression for the past 4 months but now it’s even worse because the hair loss is obviously making my depression deeper. I don’t think the white bulb means much. Look man I’m in the same boat as you, I’m 22 years old next month and I can’t even go out comfortably without putting toppik in my hair.

I will try the ones I got (3 months of them) and I if still loste hair from everywhere at 3mo mark probably I'll quit. Anyhow I get some good results from mino in my temples but I feel like I lose it because of sheding. Do you lose hair from back and sides too? Also from your body? I was/am depressed for some time too 1-2y, also I'm a little bit streesed because I want to move to another country (I am fine where I live with good job) and it streeses me a lot... Anyhow this started 1week later after taking the 1st pill of finasteride. Before it I didn't sheded so many thick and dark hairs just thin ones and most of them from top.