possible cures on the horizon

Cal Que Later

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll bank on the top 2. :agree:

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
So it seems by 2010, hair loss will be completely treatable, either through cloning or topicals. Ironic that in any sci-fi movie or show you see on TV they break the light barrier, have artificial gravity, time travel etc. but it seems they still haven't figured out baldness. :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on it, 20something. I foresee in our lifetimes only better and more effective ways of applying minoxidil-type solutions onto our collective heads. They will never cure male pattern baldness, just as they will never cure wrinkles for women. Genetics is genetics, and trying to mess with it will only cause further problems.

I still believe that the ultimate solution will be a substance that, when taken in pill form, will displace DHT in the receptor sites on the follicles (similarly to how immunosuppresants protect transplanted tissues) and allow follicles to grow to their full glory without interference from DHT.

Mark my words, right here... THAT will be the answer.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the next generation of medical breakthroughs (not only for male pattern baldness) will come with gene therapy. I'm not betting that any 'cure' will come out in my lifetime, but I sleep a little easier knowing that in a few years topicals will do a better job of maintaining our hair and if we're not lucky enough cloning (or some derivative there of) will be an option to restore a full head of hair.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Hey 20something.. just noticed you are Canadian. Judging from the time, you must be in BC, or you are having a very late night.

Mark my words... immunosuppresant therapy targeted at hair follicles that resists DHT. Some day you will be taking sh*t and saying to yourself 'hey, thegardener said this would happen' as you run your fingers through a f*****g thick mane...

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could get a clone of myself in 2010 and take all of his donar hair and use it cover my entire head?

Rubber Baby Buggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I would love for one of those news tv shows like Dateline, 60 Minutes, or 20/20 to do a report on hair cloning, then we could really find out where we stand.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Hey 20something.. just noticed you are Canadian. Judging from the time, you must be in BC, or you are having a very late night.

Toronto actually. I grew up in BC though. I need to get my sleeping schedule back on track here...

The Gardener said:
Some day you will be taking sh*t and saying to yourself 'hey, thegardener said this would happen' as you run your fingers through a f*****g thick mane...

Send me a PM when that happens, and I will gladly buy you a drink. :beer:

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
Rubber Baby Buggy said:
I would love for one of those news tv shows like Dateline, 60 Minutes, or 20/20 to do a report on hair cloning, then we could really find out where we stand.

There's decent info. out there on the web, only problem is separating what's actually real from what may never see the light of day. Here's an interview with Dr Ken Washenik (Aderans Research) that's pretty detailed on what they're doing:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_cloning/cloning_interview_washenik.cfm

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
Odelay said:
I wonder if I could get a clone of myself in 2010 and take all of his donar hair and use it cover my entire head?

I think that twins who are balding should flip a coin. The one who loses the toss has to give up his donor hair to his brother (I believe you can transplant donor hair from one identical twin to another). No point in both of them being bald.

Rubber Baby Buggy

Established Member
Reaction score
That's why one of those news shows should do it as a topic, they could get interviews with the real people researching cloning and dig up any dirt they might be trying to hide. The press aways seem to dig up any dirt someone is trying to hide so it would really give us a good idea what is coming from a reliable source.

If I had a twin I would be to tempted to kill him and take all his donar hair for myself.

G

Frankly im more interested in the future of topicals like PS1 as a cure than something like H.M, etc.

TB4 is another `potentiallly` very good topical treatment. Do a search on HLH or Hairsite for more info. Some guys have just started using it in the last couple of weeks, though its not going to be released in a commerical form for a couple of years.

Redbone

Reaction score
When they eventually do come out with something I'm afraid we will all have lost it by then. And the ones that will benefit will be in the stages we are at now. Sorry for the sarcasm but that is how it generally works out.

Think of the guys 15 years ago at our stages hoping for something to be developed and they waited and waited until all there hair was gone and it was to late for them to use rogaine or Propecia. You cant regrow a bald head, unfortunately.

Hope is a cold hearted b**ch that always lets us down.

Rubber Baby Buggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want any more of those lame topicals or pills I want cloning. By the time a really good topical or pill comes out I will have lost too much and it will be too late. Cloning is the only thing I am looking forward to.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish balding was a lot quicker, like something that happened overnight. So one day you wake up your hairs gone and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I wouldn't count on it, 20something. I foresee in our lifetimes only better and more effective ways of applying minoxidil-type solutions onto our collective heads. They will never cure male pattern baldness, just as they will never cure wrinkles for women. Genetics is genetics, and trying to mess with it will only cause further problems.

I still believe that the ultimate solution will be a substance that, when taken in pill form, will displace DHT in the receptor sites on the follicles (similarly to how immunosuppresants protect transplanted tissues) and allow follicles to grow to their full glory without interference from DHT.

Mark my words, right here... THAT will be the answer.

Okay two things:

1). I think comparing hair loss to wrinkles is definitely faulty. Wrinkles are a product of skin aging. Everyone get them (and they have a lot more to do with nurture than nature). Obviously not everyone loses their hair.

2). "cure" is a very hairy, SUBJECTIVE word. Sort of like shedding. I pointed this out on this forum many time now so i won't repeat myself. Let just say what I consider to be a "CURE" will with 99% certainty be available in the next 10 years.