Possible Bad Responder To Finasteride - What Do I Do?

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive now been on finasteride for over 5 months. I started it to address sudden receding at both temples which came out of nowhere earlier this year. I did not have any other thinning anywhere else. Unfortunately I’m now thinning everywhere with worse spots in the forelock, mid scalp and part line down both sides. I’ve only been applying minoxidil at the hairline and temples with not much success (if any at all). I’m wondering if I’ve been inadvertently spreading inadequate amounts of minoxidil to my scalp when a comb my hair after I’ve applied it. Everything in me says to stay the course with finasteride until at least the 12 month mark. I haven’t had any sexual side effects so I guess I’ve got that going for me. But i feel like I’ve just made the situation much much worse. Should I start applying minoxidil over the whole scalp? Is there any hope to recover from what appears to be thinning all at once? Should I start using a dermapen? I know I’m 46 and have had a fairly decent run. But its still pretty traumatic to lose hair this rapidly and suddenly and to go from a healthy head of hair to a dry thinning itchy mess in 5 months and to look 5 years older in that span. I still can’t believe the efficacy rate for this drug is so high with all of the stories on this forum from guys who’ve sounded like they had the exact same experience I’ve had. I can’t even grow a decent beard or goatee. Im praying that this is just a cycle and that everything will be ok but I’m losing hope big time.