Positive Effects In Hair Growth Of Prednisone ?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We all know the frontal thinning horror stories surrounding dutas. At 2 months you're in the window I used dutas for 4 months and after ~6 weeks things took a turn for the worse.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We all know the frontal thinning horror stories surrounding dutas. At 2 months you're in the window I used dutas for 4 months and after ~6 weeks things took a turn for the worse.

yes bro i know. Seems a bit strange but the mid and crown are more thicker. I will stick with the treatment.
Your shedding is regrowing or still looks bad ?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes bro i know. Seems a bit strange but the mid and crown are more thicker. I will stick with the treatment.
Your shedding is regrowing or still looks bad ?

Well my frontal loss is too heavy, i was hoping it was a shedding from dutas but at this point looks like the prednisone speed up my baldness..i made some research and it decreases testosterone but maybe the spike in insulin makes the things worse.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my shedding ended at exactly the 6 week mark. It was brutal. i was only on one pill a week (+6 finasteride). I stuck with that program for 4 months. No gnarly shedding but def no regrowth. I upped to 2 dutasteride a week + 5 finasteride for last 4 months. Still no regrowth. No major shed when i upped to 2. will give this 4 more months so I have a full year. i wont up dosage to more days a week.

finasteride alone started to lose effectiveness. Thats why I added dutasteride at the recommendation of dermatologist. I hear a full year is needed. we shall see. If this doesnt work i wont use anything else.

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would bet everything I own that dutasteride caused the shed
No question about it. I always heard a shed was a good thing because its kicking out bad to start new. Or something like that. Basically i read a shed means its working.

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No question about it. I always heard a shed was a good thing because its kicking out bad to start new. Or something like that. Basically i read a shed means its working.
It’s anecdotal as hell but I think dutasteride can wreck people’s hairline while improving mid and vertex regardless of if you are past the shed. At least it did for me.

Last edited:

stejames

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s anecdotal as hell but I think dutasteride can wreck people’s hairline while improving mid and vertex regardless of it be post-shed. At least it did for me.
so weird because arent they one and the same? what happens if you stop? i havent heard any stories .

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finally i understand how prednisone or glucocorticoids in general speed up hair loss.
They increase Insulin and igf-1 which contribute to increase 5alpha-reductase activity so more conversion from T to dht. So from an indirect mechanism they rise dht.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this the only mechanism you found? To be fair, a slight alteration in one's food intake will produce a more prominent effect with respect to this mechanism; glucocorticosteriods are very powerful, their anti-inflammatory effect first of all that is well sufficient to counteract this marginal mechanism and produce an impressive hair growth .... I tried to warn you about a different kind of danger - a temptation to use these highly effective drugs to grow hair (which they actually do)

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is this the only mechanism you found? To be fair, a slight alteration in one's food intake will produce a more prominent effect with respect to this mechanism; glucocorticosteriods are very powerful, their anti-inflammatory effect first of all that is well sufficient to counteract this marginal mechanism and produce an impressive hair growth .... I tried to warn you about a different kind of danger - a temptation to use these highly effective drugs to grow hair (which they actually do)

man glucocorticoids side effects are acne and hirsutism, probably by the mechanism i wrote before.
My hairline is almost gone..could be a shedding because i saw its pretty aggresive in the beginning but also a damage from corticosteroids..time will say.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline is almost gone..could be a shedding because i saw its pretty aggresive in the beginning but also a damage from corticosteroids..time will say.[/QUOTE]

Given that it happened not so long ago, your chances of recovery are very high. You said prednisone had been prescribed for an allergy. Did your doctor assess your allergic condition life-threatening (anaphylaxis etc) ?
It's a shame some doctors so easily prescribe these very serious drugs as a first-line treatment for conditions that can be addressed with a range of safer alternatives. Corticosteroids have dozens of indications - very common conditions in everyday life. Very rapid and effective, but have their costs. It's very likely you'll have some other condition that involves corticosteroids as a possible treatment - e.g. joint pain, eczema... Your hair is already challenged by pattern hair loss. You cannot afford an unjustified corticosteroid intervention once again.
I strongly suggest that next time your doctor mentions corticosteriods you ask for alternatives.

Zacruz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I started to take finasteride (1mg a day) since 2 months. Im also taking a corticosteroid for my allergy, prednisone since 1 month, now im slowly tappering it.
Im f*****g impressive how my hairs are recovering, they are growing a lot more stronger with much more density. I can even style my hairs now, tomorrow i will go to buy a gel ( a f*****g dream lol).
I know with finasteride the existing hairs get better but this usually start to happen after 3 months.
Im curious if i am only a good finasteride responder or if the prednisone has something to do with this early and impressive results. Not sure but maybe it helps by lowering inflammation and with the supression of adrenal adrogens.

Just wondering - how much prednisone were you taking per day?