Pooling Our Resources: WHAT CAN WE DO?

ManeMan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying I am sick and ****ing tired of hair loss. It is hell on earth. literally one of the worst non-life threatening things that can happen to a human being, man or woman. In some ways it is almost worse than a life threatening condition simply because it isn't actually life threatening, so instead of reveling in the Joys of life knowing that our time is short and we have to LIVE WHILE WE CAN instead we are forced to simply deal with this condition which people say "IS no big deal". No sympathy, No cures, only desperation and anxiety.

Well, it is a big deal and it is terrifying knowing that we are living on borrowed time.

I AM DONE waiting for solutions from hair loss researchers with little or no sense of urgency. I am sick of snake oil peddlers out to make a profit on our pain. But perhaps more importantly, I am sick of the lazie-fair attitudes of our own community.

We sit around waiting for a cure to magically appear while our lives are passing us by second by second. Well I my friends am a problem solver, and this is now my mission. I want this problem dealt with.

Little background on me: I am a 23 student currently living in Medellin, Colombia. I started losing it last year after a massive bout of telogen effluvium following severe weight loss. Even though my hair has thickened up pretty dramatically since my weight stabilized, my temples have receded (probably a norwood 1.5). I know, I know. Not too bad, but i can see the writing on the wall.

I want this thread to serve as a way for us to brainstorm how we can put an end to hair loss once and for all. Whether that be advocacy, raising awareness/sponsoring research, or even bankrolling our own cure. As individuals there is little we can do but just wait around for something to happen, but together we have the power to do something. We all share the same goal. THIS IS THE GREAT POWER OF THE INTERNET!!!

I had a thought recently: if somebody out there with more scientific/medical knowledge than I could reverse engineer replicel or bootleg Histogen we could easily do it in Colombia.there is practically ZERO regulation here in south america and I'm sure we could procure the equipment necessary to make a lab on the cheap. I dont know if any of this is actually possible, or just the dreams of a young hair loss sufferer, but somehow there is hope.

So first questions I have is: According to the current literature, how close are we to a potential cure?

Second Question: WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

From what I've gathered it seems like Replicel with their Shiseido partnership is the closest to a marketable product? What do we know about it? They seem to be pretty tight lipped which is either a good sign, or a bad one depending upon how you view it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD SOLUTION ORIENTED. It is easy to get discouraged when it seems there is so little on the horizon, that is why I want to keep this thread positive and focused on outcomes, not venting our anger.

I would really like to hear from some of the veterans on here about their experiences with "Potential cures coming in 5 years" as well. How does the landscape now compare to before?

Lets end this ****.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
So first questions I have is: According to the current literature, how close are we to a potential cure?

Second Question: WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

5 years away.

Nothing.

ManeMan

Reaction score
Pablo Escobar

Lol, yes this is where Pablo Escobar was from. But trust me Colombia has change immensely since the old Cartel days. I am from the US BTW, but my family is Colombian.

surely you should take this to new technology subform

I thought we could keep the thread here because I want us to discuss the general ways in which we can leverage our resources as a community for the furtherment of a cure. This includes new tech, yes. But also advocacy and awareness. This is the most popular sub on the site so I thought I could reach the most people here.

- - - Updated - - -

5 years away.

Nothing.

Hey man, I know it is very easy to get discouraged with the "5 years away" mantra. But look at it this way, nobody is as committed to solving our problem as we are. It is obvious that some promising technologies are on the horizon in the way of replicel/histogen right? Whats stopping someone from recreating their work on a small scale NOW?

marco75

Established Member
Reaction score
The first pharam company that cures male pattern baldness will become a trillion dollar company overnight, it will be cured within the next 20 years. In the meantime you can use the current meds, get a hair transplant or buzz it and look after your appearance.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
The only person that could drive this is hellouser and he got banned, so basically we are ****ed.