Polygonum Multiflorum Extract Support Hair Growth By Elongating Anagen Phase And Abrogating The Effe

inmyhead

Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7218528/

In this study, we investigated the hair growth promoting effects of PM extract in cultured human DPCs and the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms. It was found that treatment of PM extract stimulated proliferation and mitochondrial activity in cultured human DPCs. PM extract increased the expression of BCl2, an anti-apoptotic protein and decreased the expression of BAD, a pro-apoptotic protein in cultured DPCs and/or 3D DPC spheroid culture. Also, PM extract decreased the expression of catagen inducing protein, Dkk-1. In addition, the expression of growth factors like PDGF-aa and VEGF, known to be crucial for hair growth, was increased by PM extract treatment. These results clearly demonstrate the potential role of PM extract in promoting hair growth by elongating anagen and/or delaying catagen entry. PM extract was found to prolong the anagen of human hair follicles by inhibiting catagen entry in human hair follicle organ culture model. We observed anti- androgenic effects of PM extract, different from previously reported mechanism related to inhibition of 5α-reductase. It was revealed that PM extract significantly reduced the expression of androgen receptor (AR) induced by DHT and recovered the reduced size of DPC spheroid by DHT treatment which mimicked the hair follicle miniaturization observed in Androgenetic Alopecia.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874111001644 It all sounds good, but I see so many studies out of Asia about herbs that have amazing effects that it makes me skeptical.

With very little to offer in terms of real world results.

And even if it did, if it's via the AR/5-AR angle, it's just more of the same old sh*t. I'll pass.

I'd like to see a herb that can suppress inflammatory cytokines and increase growth factors without touching DHT or the androgen receptor, then I'll be impressed.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
The other issue we are facing is the low quality assurance to get the real deal in the bottles sold on eBay and Amazon. Most of that Asian supplements sold there are totally bogus with fake raving reviews a politician wouldn't even dare claiming.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
With very little to offer in terms of real world results.

And even if it did, if it's via the AR/5-AR angle, it's just more of the same old sh*t. I'll pass.

I'd like to see a herb that can suppress inflammatory cytokines and increase growth factors without touching DHT or the androgen receptor, then I'll be impressed.

It's not, it upregulates shh and Wnts.

inmyhead

Reaction score
I see that there is a lot of products with this.. Perhaps if it was effective, we would have known already?
Might be that it doesn't work when applied on scalp or that the effect is very minimal, or most of sold stuff contains fake ingredients.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks interesting. They reference this

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26294926/

which says

"Polygonum multiflorum Radix (PMR) has long history in hair growth promotion and hair coloring in clinical applications. However, several crucial problems in its clinic usage and mechanisms are still unsolved or lack scientific evidences."

If it has a long history in growth promotion then it must have been studied in vivo, no?

What crucial problems, I wonder. Anyone know anything about this?

UPDATE:

I'm reading the study that quote came from and it says

"However, several crucial problems in
the clinic usage and mechanisms of P. multiflorum are still
unsolved or lacked of scientific evidence. Whether PMR or
PMRP had better curative effect for baldness and canities was
lacking research data. Moreover, the hair growth and hair
dying mechanisms of P. multiflorum lacked relevant research."

So apparently it just means they haven't been well studied yet.

I see that there is a lot of products with this.. Perhaps if it was effective, we would have known already?
Might be that it doesn't work when applied on scalp or that the effect is very minimal, or most of sold stuff contains fake ingredients.

Can you list some?

The other issue we are facing is the low quality assurance to get the real deal in the bottles sold on eBay and Amazon. Most of that Asian supplements sold there are totally bogus with fake raving reviews a politician wouldn't even dare claiming.

They say they did this:

"The dried roots of PM (40 g) were extracted with 50% aqueous ethanol for 2 days at room temperature, and then filtered through Whatman No. 4 filter paper. The filtrate was concentrated by rotary evaporator under reduced pressure to give 50% aqueous ethanol extract (11.69 g, 29% yields)."

The first part you could do at home, assuming you can get PM roots, the second part, maybe it isn't necessary or maybe a pharmacy could do it for you.

Furthermore, in the study I link to above, they gave it to mice orally and topically and found not much difference between the two, so if there's some form this thing is available in for taking orally, that might work, too, hell, maybe making tea of it would be good enough.

There's this, though:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4471648/

"The clinical efficacy, as well as the safety of PMT and its bioactive products, has attracted much attention in the recent years; due to the increasing reports of various cases on hepatotoxicity,[38,39,40,41,42] published worldwide."

And apparently we ain't pioneers in this area

"Several cases of hepatotoxicity due to PMT have been reported in patients from Australia, China, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands and Slovakia taking the product for hair loss, chronic prostatitis and to boost the immune system.[38,39,40,58,60,129]"

Maybe if we can find the case report we can see if he got any decent regrowth along with killing his liver. Anyway, they conclude that processing should reduce toxicity, so...

UPDATE: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912012/

"In general, the extracts of PMP are considered to be relatively safe, while hepatotoxicity is found in the PM extracts."

Last edited:

inmyhead

Reaction score
Looks interesting. They reference this

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26294926/

which says

"Polygonum multiflorum Radix (PMR) has long history in hair growth promotion and hair coloring in clinical applications. However, several crucial problems in its clinic usage and mechanisms are still unsolved or lack scientific evidences."

If it has a long history in growth promotion then it must have been studied in vivo, no?

What crucial problems, I wonder. Anyone know anything about this?

UPDATE:

I'm reading the study that quote came from and it says

"However, several crucial problems in
the clinic usage and mechanisms of P. multiflorum are still
unsolved or lacked of scientific evidence. Whether PMR or
PMRP had better curative effect for baldness and canities was
lacking research data. Moreover, the hair growth and hair
dying mechanisms of P. multiflorum lacked relevant research."

So apparently it just means they haven't been well studied yet.

Can you list some?

They say they did this:

"The dried roots of PM (40 g) were extracted with 50% aqueous ethanol for 2 days at room temperature, and then filtered through Whatman No. 4 filter paper. The filtrate was concentrated by rotary evaporator under reduced pressure to give 50% aqueous ethanol extract (11.69 g, 29% yields)."

The first part you could do at home, assuming you can get PM roots, the second part, maybe it isn't necessary or maybe a pharmacy could do it for you.

Furthermore, in the study I link to above, they gave it to mice orally and topically and found not much difference between the two, so if there's some form this thing is available in for taking orally, that might work, too, hell, maybe making tea of it would be good enough.

There's this, though:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4471648/

"The clinical efficacy, as well as the safety of PMT and its bioactive products, has attracted much attention in the recent years; due to the increasing reports of various cases on hepatotoxicity,[38,39,40,41,42] published worldwide."

And apparently we ain't pioneers in this area

"Several cases of hepatotoxicity due to PMT have been reported in patients from Australia, China, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands and Slovakia taking the product for hair loss, chronic prostatitis and to boost the immune system.[38,39,40,58,60,129]"

Maybe if we can find the case report we can see if he got any decent regrowth along with killing his liver. Anyway, they conclude that processing should reduce toxicity, so...

UPDATE: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5912012/

"In general, the extracts of PMP are considered to be relatively safe, while hepatotoxicity is found in the PM extracts."
I missed your post...

Here you go

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7218528/

In this study, we investigated the hair growth promoting effects of PM extract in cultured human DPCs and the underlying molecular and cellular mechanisms. It was found that treatment of PM extract stimulated proliferation and mitochondrial activity in cultured human DPCs. PM extract increased the expression of BCl2, an anti-apoptotic protein and decreased the expression of BAD, a pro-apoptotic protein in cultured DPCs and/or 3D DPC spheroid culture. Also, PM extract decreased the expression of catagen inducing protein, Dkk-1. In addition, the expression of growth factors like PDGF-aa and VEGF, known to be crucial for hair growth, was increased by PM extract treatment. These results clearly demonstrate the potential role of PM extract in promoting hair growth by elongating anagen and/or delaying catagen entry. PM extract was found to prolong the anagen of human hair follicles by inhibiting catagen entry in human hair follicle organ culture model. We observed anti- androgenic effects of PM extract, different from previously reported mechanism related to inhibition of 5α-reductase. It was revealed that PM extract significantly reduced the expression of androgen receptor (AR) induced by DHT and recovered the reduced size of DPC spheroid by DHT treatment which mimicked the hair follicle miniaturization observed in Androgenetic Alopecia.

I have been using Fo-ti, which contains the compound for a little while now, the only issue I would take with it is that it -may- actually increase testosterone production.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, however I don't take it every day, like every other day to three days.