Poly vs Lace - Reviews from people who have switched from LACE to Poly

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, With the ongoing nightmare of shortage of lace systems, have any of you switched over to poly systems and if so what has been your experience. I have always worn full swiss lace, but now that i am finding it harder to find, i am thinking maybe i should give a poly system a go as they seem to be widely available. My concerns around poly is mainly the breathability and sweating issue as i work out daily and also the longevity of the system . At $200+ a system , do they only really last 1 month ?

Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate full poly systems...have worn them in the past. I can't go past 4 days or I get incredible itching.
Also I got dandruff and dry skin. So I need to use anti dandruff shampoo every other day at least, which can't be done through a poly hair system.
And my scalp and hair system was wet with sweat ewww after I removed it only after 4 days.

Theres not a shortage of lace through MG Ford if you want to look him up?
Think he ships worldwide and does remote cut-ins too.

I currently wear a french lace top and front with poly edge, custom hair system.
I want to try full french lace base eventually. Swiss lace is way too delicate.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always worn a French lace base with taped perimeter. It breathes well and is very comfortable. I tried a poly one time and never again. When I was hot or sweating or in the gym it drove me crazy. Way too hot and uncomfortable for me. Lace is my base of choice

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Let
I've always worn a French lace base with taped perimeter. It breathes well and is very comfortable. I tried a poly one time and never again. When I was hot or sweating or in the gym it drove me crazy. Way too hot and uncomfortable for me. Lace is my base of choice
I 100% prefer lace , but with the shortages at the minute, who knows what will happen.. i am praying lace systems become easier to get in the coming months! the thought of using a poly gives me major anxiety as i know i will hate the lack of breathability .... :(

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let

I 100% prefer lace , but with the shortages at the minute, who knows what will happen.. i am praying lace systems become easier to get in the coming months! the thought of using a poly gives me major anxiety as i know i will hate the lack of breathability .... :(

Some poly thin skin at 0.3mm has somewhat breathability through micro holes sometimes.
Such as hairexperience (Curtis) claims to suggest.
But 0.3mm thin skin are more fragile than swiss lace and is best for gluing.
It can be taped with a base liner tape underneath and removed if your very careful.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some poly thin skin at 0.3mm has somewhat breathability through micro holes sometimes.
Such as hairexperience (Curtis) claims to suggest.
But 0.3mm thin skin are more fragile than swiss lace and is best for gluing.
It can be taped with a base liner tape underneath and removed if your very careful.

I wear 0.03mm UTS with the 'somewhat breathable' feature. I wouldn't believe it though, i.e. I doubt it's breathable. In my view, how can it be breathable if you're doing a full bond - the glue itself will stop the scalp 'breathing'.

I don't find UTS that fragile. I haven't worn swiss lace but people always say how fragile it is. I have never found that to be the case with my UTS, though I'm not saying I would put it through a war but I don't have to wear cotton mittens to handle it either.

I've just got my latest piece on. I'll put up some pics later.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I wear 0.03mm UTS with the 'somewhat breathable' feature. I wouldn't believe it though, i.e. I doubt it's breathable. In my view, how can it be breathable if you're doing a full bond - the glue itself will stop the scalp 'breathing'.

I don't find UTS that fragile. I haven't worn swiss lace but people always say how fragile it is. I have never found that to be the case with my UTS, though I'm not saying I would put it through a war but I don't have to wear cotton mittens to handle it either.

I've just got my latest piece on. I'll put up some pics later.
I have always worn swiss lace ( 7yrs + now ) and always went to a guy who would do all the cut in , maintenance and i never had to worry about it.. When the pandemic hit and things where closed for months on end, i took it upon myself to learn, and i am now since april 2020 fully self sufficient. It was SO scary the first time i cut the swiss lace to the right size, it literally took me an hr just to do that.. i did it so carefully and slow! cutting the hair was another scary moment but now i am totally on top of it all , so i don't have to pay anyone else to do anything for me. I dont mind the swiss lace fragile at all .. i have never torn it or stretched it out of shape, so i think its alot tougher then people believe, but the ventilation for me is massive factor, together with not having any knowledge of poly or thin skin and how to cut them , tape them etc.. i just pray the lace industry picks up and full lace systems become more and more available again! I am seeing alot of lace on Lordhair and Lavivid but sadly my colour of 22R is harder to find these days! i could get a light brown and bleach it and then tone it i guess, but one mistake and that could ruin the system .. so i am wary about doing that!

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wearing a hybrid lace with poly sides and back for the past year. Recently switched to a full poly about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting to be much worse than it is. I haven’t felt a huge difference compared to my hybrid lace with the ventilation. I thought there would be a much starker difference than there actually is. I’m not really a fan of the hairline on poly compared to lace. Feel that it’s much more detectable compared to lace but then again I’m wearing 0.06mm poly and not an ultra thin skin. Durability and clean up seems to be similar. I do appreciate that the tape/glue doesn’t seep through the system into the hair as that used to be an issue with the lace especially with working out.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always worn Swiss lace and haven't ever found it 'too fragile'. I'd say it's very durable as well as very lightweight so you can't really feel it or see it while wearing. I love Swiss lace. My current Swiss lace system is nearly 10 months in and the lace is still fine.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always worn Swiss lace and haven't ever found it 'too fragile'. I'd say it's very durable as well as very lightweight so you can't really feel it or see it while wearing. I love Swiss lace. My current Swiss lace system is nearly 10 months in and the lace is still fine.
10months old !!!! HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT!!! my swiss lace systems last MAX 3mths.. i do wear my hair faded on the sides and have it very long on the top in a quiff , maybe that is the issue? i also wear a blond system which i guess the hair being bleached thins outs alot quicker!

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I've worn Poly for over 10 years and prefer it to lace. I found the durability better and don't really suffer with the lack of ventilation. I find the clean up much easier as well.
how long do the poly systems last ? everywhere i speak to say its last 1 to 2 mths max , is that true! i currently get 3 mths with my lace system , but i can not afford to be buying a new poly every month, that would be insane.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10months old !!!! HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT!!! my swiss lace systems last MAX 3mths.. i do wear my hair faded on the sides and have it very long on the top in a quiff , maybe that is the issue? i also wear a blond system which i guess the hair being bleached thins outs alot quicker!

By looking after it.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
By looking after it.
Well obviously .. i have been wearing for 7yrs and i am very careful and gentle and use only great products on mine, but i still can only manage 3mths! ... i have never had a system last more then 4-5 months MAX ... and that was when i was doing poly perimeter and french lace

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've worn Poly for over 10 years and prefer it to lace. I found the durability better and don't really suffer with the lack of ventilation. I find the clean up much easier as well.

Cleanup is harder with poly actually.
And full poly causes extreme itching after 4 days with me as it doesn't breathe. My skin is both oily and dry(not usually at the same time) and I got dandruff too.
With lace it breathes and I can use my anti dandruff shampoo with my hair system still on my head in the shower...

Lace you just spray Lace Release through the hair, wait a few mins till all the tape stays on your scalp instead of the hair system.
Clean your scalp with C22 Solvent.
And clean the residue of the lace by putting cotton wool on the residue and carefully picking it off...
C22 Solvent on the cotton wool if needed after.

Poly you have to be careful not to tear the base and rub a cotton wool ball with C22 Solvent whilst peeling the tape, stopping every second if there is any resistance to rub more C22 Solvent on the tape coming up if it doesn't peel off.
I have torn poly thin skin like that, if I wasn't super careful to use C22 Solvent if the tape didn't come easily off and I pulled it.

Tape residue shouldn't penetrate the lace if you clean up weekly or 2 weeks max.

Last edited:

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Cleanup is harder with poly actually.
And full poly causes extreme itching after 4 days with me as it doesn't breathe. My skin is both oily and dry(not usually at the same time) and I got dandruff too.
With lace it breathes and I can use my anti dandruff shampoo with my hair system still on my head in the shower...

Lace you just spray Lace Release through the hair, wait a few mins till all the tape stays on your scalp instead of the hair system.
Clean your scalp with C22 Solvent.
And clean the residue of the lace by putting cotton wool on the residue and carefully picking it off...
C22 Solvent on the cotton wool if needed after.

Poly you have to be careful not to tear the base and rub a cotton wool ball with C22 Solvent whilst peeling the tape, stopping every second if there is any resistance to rub more C22 Solvent on the tape coming up if it doesn't peel off.
I have torn poly thin skin like that, if I wasn't super careful to use C22 Solvent if the tape didn't come easily off and I pulled it.

Tape residue shouldn't penetrate the lace if you clean up weekly or 2 weeks max.
i agree, i find removing the lace system and clean up SOOOOOOOO easy!!!!!! ... and i have never torn a lace system or even come close too it. i just wish i would find a lace system that lasted more then 3 mths.. i have NO idea how people get them to last longer then 3-4mths tbh.. when the hair starts shedding it REALLY pisses me off , and i hate when the system does not look full and glossy.. i guess it does not help that the style i have needs it to be on point and not shedding constantly .

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree, i find removing the lace system and clean up SOOOOOOOO easy!!!!!! ... and i have never torn a lace system or even come close too it. i just wish i would find a lace system that lasted more then 3 mths.. i have NO idea how people get them to last longer then 3-4mths tbh.. when the hair starts shedding it REALLY pisses me off , and i hate when the system does not look full and glossy.. i guess it does not help that the style i have needs it to be on point and not shedding constantly .

You could use some Walker Top Lock knot sealer maybe if it helps reduce the shedding issue.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
You could use some Walker Top Lock knot sealer maybe if it helps reduce the shedding issue.
yep always do.. i think its coz i use a very blond colour 22R so the hair is very processed maybe so tends to shed more too .. i dont know, i am very gentle with my systems , but i just cant get them to last more then 3 mths.