Poll...Short hair or Long hair?

Reaction score
who keeps it short and who keeps it long?

I keep mine short on on the sides (blend up from a 1 guard) to some length on top (not spiky)...

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have thinning hair, short is definently the way to go.
Desar

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Right now its really short (maybe 1/8th inch on top, 1/16th on the sides). I grow it out to 1-2 inches when I can, but when the sheds hit, I cut it down. I had a big shed last month, so in two more months when that hair starts growing back, hopefully thicker then before <crosses fingers>, I'll have enough to grow it out again with confidence.

Although, I must admit, I'm starting to like having it this short. minoxidil apps are easy and theres no hairstyle to mess up, AND I've actually been seeing more women checking me out, to my suprise. (then again, I have been hitting the gym too).

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep mine short ONLY because I'm losing my hair (I'm only 21). Before I used to have it shortish but long enough that I could stick gunk in it and mess it up and it was still thick on the top, man those were the days when I had all the girls after me! :(

These days my temples are seriously receded and hair thinned out all over the top which makes me misewrable :( You can see the pics of my hair in my story section. I will be posting new pics in a few days to show results (even negative) after a month on my regimen. I will be putting up pics every single month to show progress.

But I agree, if it starts to look stupid with long hair, just buzz it short - you still look just as bald, but just not as stupid :)

Damn my mohican strip...

Theguy

Reaction score
My hair is pretty long. My hair is really thin, but not so thin that its too noticable. When it gets really long though you can see the difference in my hair, the back and sides are really thick while the top is thin. I'll post pictures of my hair as soon as I can find my digital camera. I need some opinions on my vertex anyway.

fuzbucket

Established Member
Reaction score
had it short for like 5 years... really short.... but sincec i have such nice hair (nice color) and all i'm growing it long now... gonna try some cool styles..... plus my hair seems to be falling out less so that helps. but i always say keep it shorter at the sides and longer at the top which helps hide the hairloss....

unknown

Reaction score
i keep mine somewhat short, but only because of my hairloss. before i started losing hair i had it down to my chest.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
very very short (but not shaved that looks terrible). I keep a length of 0,5 cm. That makes the application of minoxidil much easier and you just don't notice your hair when it falls out on your pillow. Also it suits me apparently.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
All you guys seem to prefer short hair, but i seem to think that if i cut my hair short enough it'd very noticeable that i'm balding. By keeping my hair longer it allows me to style it so that it's not visible at all.

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm the same as you Kramer. It's easier to hide my thinning when I keep my hair longer. I spike my hair up all over except on the corners of the hairline where i kinda put my hair across to hide the recession.

Mikey

Established Member
Reaction score
I grow it a medium length and every time I go to the hairdresser I tell them that I want to have the back longer cause I wanna use it to cover my thin front.

Slap on the couvre, bit of hair gel and comb forward in a scruffy edward furlong kinda style (just a bit shorter than his). Noone need know a thing

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
SHORT Vs LONG HAIR

In my honest opinion it is negative to wear the hair excessively short, especially at the top areas of head and even more if the hair density is scarce and the hair is thin.
The reasoning is simple, sebum is essential for hair, but since it easily degrades it must be eliminated at the same pace than it is created at the sebaceous gland. The elimination is a physical process and it mainly happens through the contact of the head with the pillow while we are sleeping (this may be the reason why alopecia does not happen at these areas), and in case the hair density is not high enough, then it is necessary that sebum slides down the hair shaft of the hair that grows at the top in order to reach the pillow, and therefore it is better if they are long enough.
Anyway I admit that keeping long hair is just a preventive method to avoid baldness (notice the difference in the length of hair between men and women and the difference incidence of common baldness) and it cannot be considered a solution to regrow the already lost hair.
You will find information on this matter at this page: http://www.againstalopeciaandbaldness.com

Armando

Hess

Established Member
Reaction score
I buzz my hair down to a number #1 for a couple of reasons.

1. I dont have to style my hair.
2. It doesn't take long to dry.
3. I think it helps with topical absorbtion because minoxidil etc goes to work where it's needed on the scalp, rather than being soaked up by the hair, if that makes any sense.

This is only my opinion.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Buzzing your hair down definetly makes it easier for the reasons you just mentioned, but the way i think about it is i might not have my remaining hair for very long, so i might as well take advantage of it. I still have good enough coverage where no REAL bald spots emerge. To me having your hair .5 cm is so short that your almost bald already. How much different do guys really look that have nearly shaved heads, then completey shaved heads?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kramer3 said:
How much different do guys really look that have nearly shaved heads, then completey shaved heads?

Oh theres a big difference between having 1/8th inch or 1/16th inch of hair, and having no hair at all. Trust me. Sure, you can see my scalp in its entierty, but it gives form and outline to my face. And just the fact that I have a relativly full hairline and consistant coverage makes it look like I have my hair like this because I like it, not because I'm losing it.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Flux, i'm sure there's a difference but that difference isn't nearly as pronounced as it is between someone with a shaved head and someone with 4-5 inch hair. Would someone that is less concerned with hair then us, know the difference between 1/8 inch --> 1/16 inch though?

crayola

Reaction score
Long. Though I've had both short and long through the years, I've always liked long better. Mine's at at about 8 inches right now.

Hess

Established Member
Reaction score
Another reason why I have short hair is because im resigned to the fact that eventually i'll be completely bald. If you like im just getting use to not having hair. I use to have a spikey hairdo then I went from that to a #4, which at the time was scary I continued to lose my hair so I went down to #1 at first I sh*t myself but now im getting use to the idea. If I should ever regrow my hair I will go back to some sort of style. I do let it grow quite long sometimes so I can gauge if there has been any regrowth although currently that has been very negative!

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i keep my hair pretty long i dont have long hair but is about 2 to 3 inches in length so in this forum it would be considered long.i keep my hair in a hair style called a "faux hawk"its like a mini mohawk but you keep it messed up on the sides and the hair thats sticking up on top is like i said just around 2 to 3.by makin the top of your hair come together like like you cant see through it so it seems like you have alot more hair there then you really do.