plucking hairs to increase speed of enlargement

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I posted this question a long time ago but no one had any real solid reason for not speeding up diameter growth by inducing resting phase by plucking out the hairs. Of course the age old inflammation word pops up but whats not being said is the fact that the inflammation can be well tolerated if strong anti-inflammation product was applied before and after plucking. Also note that plucking isn't in anyway the death of your follicle like most posters believe. It cause inflammation so wippy doo. I'm applying flutamide as well as my standard solution during plucking would result in a larger hair when regrown. A scientific explanation would be most appraciated.
Also vellus hair being very fine would not hurt in the least to pluck and because of thier size they would induce very little inflammation.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent question. Somebody do it justice, please.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blahman8000 said:
I wouldn't recommend it, honestly, man. Have patience instead, if you're expecting any regrowth. I think it is healthier this way. Pulling can aggrivate the hair follicle and actually speed up hairloss, couldn't it?

By the way, this is off-topic, but I noticed in your signature you mention that you take melatonin. Does this affect hairloss? I started taking melatonin yesterday because my psychiatrist said it would help regulate my sleeping pattern.
Go to research forum and look at the melatonin post which says it all. I use it topically with minoxidil. It encourages anagen (growth) phase to start.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blahman8000 said:
I wouldn't recommend it, honestly, man. Have patience instead, if you're expecting any regrowth. I think it is healthier this way. Pulling can aggrivate the hair follicle and actually speed up hairloss, couldn't it?

By the way, this is off-topic, but I noticed in your signature you mention that you take melatonin. Does this affect hairloss? I started taking melatonin yesterday because my psychiatrist said it would help regulate my sleeping pattern.
Plucking occurs all the time naturally when you brush and run fingers over head so you can't say that pulling causes speed of hairloss, especially the vellus because at any given time a vellus hair ior basicly a fine hair is easy to accindently pull out because the root system is so shallow.

G

I have been soooooooooo sick of seeing my hair at the bottom of my shower, and for the last 8 months or so I've tended to comb my hair obsesivly like 10 times a day for a minute each time. Also after my hair drys I rub my head viciously to get all those loose hairs to fall out now instead of later. I know this is an endlees battle now and won't stop my hairloss.

I noticed though that my hair is "thicker looking" but at the same time it hasn't actually thickened though. This thick hair must be an optical illusion or maybe this whole plucking hair thing holds some wieght (buying a little time).

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Paradise Lost said:
I have been soooooooooo sick of seeing my hair at the bottom of my shower, and for the last 8 months or so I've tended to comb my hair obsesivly like 10 times a day for a minute each time. Also after my hair drys I rub my head viciously to get all those loose hairs to fall out now instead of later. I know this is an endlees battle now and won't stop my hairloss.

I noticed though that my hair is "thicker looking" but at the same time it hasn't actually thickened though. This thick hair must be an optical illusion or maybe this whole plucking hair thing holds some wieght (buying a little time).
with a regimen like mine I would say plucking or waxing the vellus hair would not be of any concern cosmeticly because the small bastards can't be seen hardly anyway.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to deal with reality guys. Its going to take five years for my hair line of fuzz to become cosmetic if I don't do something like speed up the process by inducing resting phase via waxing so I'm going for it. I have nothing to loose and I have a huge forum full of guys that could benefit by this experiment. I would not try this if I didn't have flutamide in my regimen.

The Gardener

Reaction score
It is my understanding that plucking hairs does nothing to increase hair diameter.

Consider the hair growth phase. Hair goes telogen and sheds. Then, rests, and then regrows. Hair remains in growth phase for years, it starts very thin, and as the growth phase continues it very subtlely gets thicker. Hair is thickest at the moment it is ready to be shed again, at which point it might taper off a bit near the bulb, and then pop, the bulb is ejected, shed, and the cycle starts again.

Plucking creates the appearance of thicker regrowth because the hair re-starts growth with mid-growth phase thickness. Unplucked hair that regrows start at the very thin, small diameter size. Because these hairs were prematurely and forcefully removed, as the follicle continues to churn out hair growth of increasing diameter, these new 'plucked' shoots look thicker than the normal unplucked shoots which are starting out at their smallest diameter. The problem is that these hairs are not any more thick than they would be if not plucked and allowed to grow. But, because they were plucked, they appear to be thicker than normal shoots when they re-appear.

Hard to explain, but I hope you understand the premise.

G

I am unsure whether it is the same for head hair but body hair gradually gets thinner if it repeatedly plucked or waxed.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
neiltom88 said:
I am unsure whether it is the same for head hair but body hair gradually gets thinner if it repeatedly plucked or waxed.
Good point although the idea here is to pluck WHILE applying growth agents in an attempt to not shrink but enlarge follicle next time it appears.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
I would not try this if I didn't have flutamide in my regimen.

By all means, pluck all that hair and maybe increase your systemic absorption of the flutamide even MORE than you were getting beforehand!

Sheesh.

Bryan

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
thin=depressed said:
I would not try this if I didn't have flutamide in my regimen.

By all means, pluck all that hair and maybe increase your systemic absorption of the flutamide even MORE than you were getting beforehand!

Sheesh.

Bryan
A little less testosterone is not a bad thing which results in less body hair and your attitude is awefull. B

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Note: Bryan dished out plenty of attitude but didn't offer ANY scientific reasoning for not doing it. Thats makes him a ...............

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
A little less testosterone is not a bad thing which results in less body hair...

"Less testosterone"? Please explain what you mean. For your information, flutamide causes a reflexive INCREASE in testosterone production, not a decrease.

thin=depressed said:
...and your attitude is awefull.

I try to warn you about the dangers of using flutamide, and that's the thanks I get?? I think YOUR attitude is "awefull"! :wink:

Bryan

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thin: I thought you said you weren't going to use flutamide!? :shock:

Don't pluck your hair out. The medication will still get to where it was going either way.

There's a guy named Ernie on altbaldspot that believes in plucking hair, in some way. Go read some of his posts and I'll bet you end up not wanting to try anything he recommends!! :lol: :lol: :shock:

Did you find out if the 2 percent flutamide solution sold by one of the companies (I can't remember the name) is safe?

Oh Thin, I forgot to ask, wouldn't plucking your hair cause some sort of inflammation?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
O.K already, I was just putting an idea out there for thought. Anyway, I had already ordered the crap before getting into posts with you guys about so when I got it in the mail I thought what the hell. I had crushed it up in minoxidil and put two pinches of it in minoxidil. I really don't think any harm will come of applying it topically in small doses. Some docs have been doing it. I want to find out through this experiment if testosterone plays a role in inhibiting regrowth. I'm under the opinion that dht is the culprit BUT dht AND testosterone as well inhibit regrowth due to ultra sensitivity of frail roots. This would explain the better performance of flutamide. Just my opinion

Old Baldy

Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
O.K already, I was just putting an idea out there for thought. Anyway, I had already ordered the crap before getting into posts with you guys about so when I got it in the mail I thought what the hell. I had crushed it up in minoxidil and put two pinches of it in minoxidil. I really don't think any harm will come of applying it topically in small doses. Some docs have been doing it. I want to find out through this experiment if testosterone plays a role in inhibiting regrowth. I'm under the opinion that dht is the culprit BUT dht AND testosterone as well inhibit regrowth due to ultra sensitivity of frail roots. This would explain the better performance of flutamide. Just my opinion

:) :) :) No problem Thin. Take it easy!

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thin=D...you are quite the scientist...why haven't u tried using RU 58841 yet?????? should be the best thing for you (IMO)

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Plucking hair = f*****g bad idea. End of.
I remember seeing a programme on tv about female pattern baldness, and they discussed this very question; specifically the myth that if you pluck one hair out, two will grow. The experts on the show said that it damaged the follicle, and that it was an extremely bad idea.