Plucking Hair To Force New Growth Cycle?

mobiledean

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there, just wanted to share a speculation I have about the growth cycle, and shorting the wait time to see visible results after starting a regime of minoxidal or DHT blocker (or both), and get others thoughts on whether this would actually help, or whether it makes no difference.

So, the general idea is that if minoxidal or DHT blocker actually works for you, you won't notice visible results until around the 9 - 12 month mark, and this is due to the fact that for any given folicle, you won't notice an improvement to it until it sheds the minturised hair you had at the time you started the treatment, and a new, stronger and thicker terminal hair grows through. The average growth cycle for a hair means it takes time to shed, so if your growth cycle is say 2 years, on average you'll begin treatment when a hair is halfway through its cycle, meaning you'll need to wait on average 1 year for it to shed, and to notice the improvement in the replacement hair.

But, what if you started the treatment, waited say 1 month after the treated starts to give it time to take full effect (e.g. waiting for the drug to build up in your system or on your scalp), then after that month plucked some of your minturised hairs at the root, thereby forcing them to grow back another stronger thicker terminal hair, as opposed to waiting on average 1 year for your hair to naturally shed itself.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is, would plucking these weak terminal or vellus hairs (or waxing an area of the head containing them if you balding is advanced enough), fasttrack the shedding process, thereby fastracking the time it takes to see visible improvements?

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s not how it works. Hair growth cycles are fixed events, they do not operate on demand. Regrowth only occurs after a natural shed and vice versa. Pulling it out isn’t a natural shed and your body will not be compelled to fill it early. This is why it can take up to 12 months for hair lost to Telogen Effluvium to return. They fell out before they should have and won’t regrow until the time they would have otherwise regrown.

Pulling your hair out is a terrible idea regardless. Even doing so once can be enough to damage the follicle itself to the point where it won’t grow back. This doubly true for miniaturized follicles.

What you’re basically doing here is voluntary traction alopecia and it carries the same risks and consequences. Patience is an unavoidable requisite of the process.

Last edited:

mobiledean

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s not how it works. Hair growth cycles are fixed events, they do not operate on demand. Regrowth only occurs after a natural shed and vice versa. Pulling it out isn’t a natural shed and your body will not be compelled to fill it early. This is why it can take up to 12 months for hair lost to Telogen Effluvium to return. They fell out before they should have and won’t regrow until the time they would have otherwise regrown.

Pulling your hair out is a terrible idea regardless. Even doing so once can be enough to damage the follicle itself to the point where it won’t grow back. This doubly true for miniaturized follicles.

What you’re basically doing here is voluntary traction alopecia and it carries the same risks and consequences. Patience is an unavoidable requisite of the process.

Great answer, thanks!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Damn i used to pull hair out when i was really stressed, particularly around my crown that im hardly responding to treatments on, im thinking i may have damaged the follicle now.