pleasehelpme's story

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I haven't been here for a while, how is everyone doing?
Here's a little background information about my hairloss:
It started ever since I had my hair pulled unintentionally by someone else. The pull was very harsh and ever since then, I started to worry (excessively) about my hair. This happened when i was 13 years old.

I am now 19. My life's been devastated by my hair concerns, but I could never really open up to anyone else because 1. they think I'm crazy that I think I'm losing my hair at such a young age, 2. they never experienced hairloss, 3. none of my friends even worry about their hair, so I don't want to be embarassed.

I am not quite sure what to label my type of hairloss as. I definitely have diffuse thinning, as my hair is nowhere near as thick/voluminous as it was in the past. Nobody in my family for the past 2 generations has male pattern baldness. My father has diffuse thinning, but every other male in my family has a thick, full head of hair.

Prior to my mishap at age 13, I don't think I ever noticed a hair fall out... ever. However, ever since then, I don't know if it's because I'm paranoid or not, I've been noticing hairs falling out all over the place. I see hairs fall out when I look at my pillow after I wake up, when I shower, when I style or brush my hair, and when I just put my hands through my hair.

I've also noticed that my hair grows MUCH slower than it used to. I used to need a haircut at least every month, but nowadays I get one like every 3+ months. The hairs that I lose vary in thickness. Some are of normal thickness, while others are so thin they're almost invisible. All of them have thick white bulbs at the end and sometimes there's like a waxy substance tied to the hair. Does this mean anything?

My hairline has suffered a great deal, however it still retains the shape of a normal hairline.

It sucks looking back at it, why the hell did that have to happen to me? What did I do to deserve that? It's a pain in the *** how worrying about my hair has basically dominated my life. I now look back each year to the previous year and realize how much more (thick) hair I had. It truly saddens me.

I've been to a few dermatologists and physicians, and all of them told me that nothing was wrong. The blood tests I took said nothing was wrong...

I thought at first it could be Telogen Effluvium, but Telogen Effluvium hairs are supposed to grow back after a few months... my hair just kept getting worse + it thinned.

Well things have been progressively getting worse for the past 6 years, and I don't want it to keep on getting worse.

I've tried liquid minoxidil but got off it after around 2 months - it didn't do anything. I was always afraid to try propecia/finasteride because I like to lift weights, and was afraid that lowering my testosterone levels would be detrimental towards building muscle + strength. Is this a false belief?

I'd say almost everyone other than others experiencing hairloss can notice my hair problems because I am quite good + spend a ****load of time styling my hair. It sucks how I have to spend this much time to make my hair seem somewhat close to normal.

I'm young and I care a great deal about how I look. After sitting around hoping that things would get better for 6 years, I've decided that it's probably best to actually DO something about my hair. I need advice from people like you who have experience with hairloss. What type of hairloss would this be classified as? Could you guys perhaps suggest treatments that would benefit me. Even better, has anyone experienced a similar type of hairloss and found a cure?

Thanks!