Please someone help me regarding use of minoxidil

vjmurthy

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am new to this forum and hope people here are helpful to share information. Friends. I am 31 now and recently had a hair thinning and consulted a dermatologist a month ago. He first prescribed me anemia tablets and calcium with vitamin D3 tabs. After one month he has now prescribed me minoxidil 10% and calcium tabs 500 MG before lunch. The problem now is, I see in internet many people claiming that if we start using minoxidil we have to use it for rest of our life. People complaint that once they stopped using minoxidil they lost all hair that was gained also normal hair. Friends I am using MX 10% from last two days and after seeing those comments I am afraid to use MX. Please tell me is it true, if I start using it I need to use rest of my life? also if I stop now do I loose hair everywhere on my head? please give me suggestions. I am planning to stop using it. I feel my thinning increased after I lose my weight fast.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Your fears are true. Minoxidil is pretty effective but once your hair becomes dependant on it then you must use it permanently to maintain the results. This takes some time, more than 2 days so don't worry if you don't think it's right for you. I have friends who have used it for only few months at a time each year and it always works but then they lose all the benefit when they stop. There is sometimes a shedding period when you first start to use it - this is a sign that it is working.

I'm not sure why you have been given such a strong strength of minoxidil!?!?

If you are reasonably happy with the way your hair is now then finasteride and using a good shampoo may be enough IMO.

vjmurthy

Reaction score
Thank you Bowser for your reply. Even I was confused why doctor prescribed MX 10% though I don't have bald just thinning. Everyone say MX 5% itself is very strong one. After seeing your reply, I am thinking of stopping it as it is difficult to apply for the rest of the life. What I do is, I try some organic way which might work. In the same time if you know any alternative ways, please let me know.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bowser for your reply. Even I was confused why doctor prescribed MX 10% though I don't have bald just thinning. Everyone say MX 5% itself is very strong one. After seeing your reply, I am thinking of stopping it as it is difficult to apply for the rest of the life. What I do is, I try some organic way which might work. In the same time if you know any alternative ways, please let me know.

If you don't want to apply it every day, then you can use finasteride, of course. But minoxidil can significantly increase the effect of finasteride. Furthermore, using it twice daily is crazy. This is an old recommendation based on the short half-life of minoxidil in the blood. In the skin, the half-life is 22 hours.

By the way, I have been using minoxidil once daily for 16+ years and I don't mind it. It is as incomfortable as cleaning teeth.