Please I need advice and help!

msgluv

Reaction score
Hi!
I am writing a post for the very first time. As I do so I am crying. I am 28 years old and my hair is thinning. I've always had thin hair, but now myy scalp is showing through on top. Also, it is thinning in the back/top. NO ONE in my life understands what this is doing to me. My mother gets upset because her hair is thin and she is balding (so she feels badly- because it appears to be hereditary) My fiance is great. He keeps telling me that I am beautiful and he'll love me even if I become bald. But none of this helps. It doesn't matter to me. I feel horribly depressed and alone. It is taking over my life. I've read some of the posts and I am glad that I am not alone, well not glad for all of you, just relieved that perhaps I can chat with some of you about this. I am constantly staring at other people's hair. I don't see anyone who has my problem. The thing is that it is not so bad right now- so people brush my concerns off as an insecurity. But I SEE how my hair has become thinner on top in the past few years and I am afraid of what is to come. Hair loss is progressive and I am devestated. I cannot belive that this is happening to me. I feel so unattractive. I cry all the time. I'm getting married next year and I am afraid that this depression over my hair loss will plague this wonderful time. I went to the derm. She was horrible. I waited an hour and half to see her. She looked at me for 3 minutes. Said Yep it's thinning and ordered me to take rogaine. I have problems with this because it is such a committment. Plus I am afraid what will happen if I go off it, as I will want to have kids some day. I don't think you can use rogaine while pregnant. She also told me to take biotin, a vitamin. Has anyone heard of it? Does anyone know about hair transplantation for women? I just feel so uneducated and hopeless about this whole situation. Also, alone. I am planning on calling a bunch of dermatoligists soon, to see if anyone specializes in hair loss. Then maybe I can get some help. But before I do this, can anyone give me any advice on my situation. I am sure someone out there is more educated than me in this area. Or JUST SOME WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT would be helpful. As I have said before I feel so alone in this whole ordeal. Thank you for your time!

Reaction score
msgluv: I hear you and I feel for you! I understand your thoughts and feelings completely. I am 26 and thinning drammatically - my hair was very full before - and now things have changed. I am also struggling with accepting this and the derm I went to see today for the first time was an idiot as well. She looked at my head for less than 10 seconds and said - yes that I was thinning......Rogaine was her advice as well - I think she just wanted to get my money and get me out of there.

Hang in there - try the Rogaine - I am going to start it too probably this week. With Rogaine all you have to do is stop when your pregnant - your natural elevated estrogen levels grow your hair during pregnancy and you don't shed as much so don't worry about it - just start again after pregnancy.

This site is a treasure of information.....go through the womans section of hair loss, read everything and watch the videos. Womans hair loss is treatable....go to your doctor check your hormone levels and don't give up - we are all here for you!!! Educate yourself on hair loss and I have faith you can control it.

Be happy that you have a loving fiance honey - thats beautiful.

Make sure you eat healthy and get your proteins....I don't know about the supplement biotin - but I'm sure the net will have tons of info on it. Keep me posted...I log in almost everyday so if you need to chat, cry, complain, b**ch or discuss any success etc write!

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
My Story to you....

msgluv...hang in there. Believe me you are sooo not alone in this. I'm 27 and shed quite a bit the past year and a half as well. When I first realized I was losing my hair....I was getting ready for a wedding in October 2001. My friend was fixing my hair and commented on my brush and how it looked like an animal. When I looked at my brush, I realized that I had cleaned it out the month before and then started to look closer at my hair. I remember that moment clearly when I discovered that I was losing my hair. It was as though I had cracked in half and sat broken in a panic for a good month. I had just started the BCP for polycystic ovaries two months before, and I marched into my Dr.'s offic and demanded to increase my BCP strength in fear that my androgen activity was causing my hair loss. (that summer I had unbearable pain in my ovaries, started growing stray hairs under my chin and broke out in zits). So she upted my birth control and off to the endocrinologist I went. She told me that she would send me for blood work....but since I was on the pill it wouldn't reflect my true androgen level. From February 2002 to Feb 2003....I didn't lose more hair...but I certainly didn't grow back what I had lost. And then it started again......except worse. I went to see a Dermatologist in April who agreed that I had Telogen Effluvium....but with my family history...(my biological father is apparently balder than bald himself)...and my mother is losing her hair now in menopause)...the outlook might not be in my favor. But, he recommended that I start Rogaine 2% twice a day and take Palafor (iron supplementation). My iron levels were really low and that contributes to hair loss if you are suseptable. I'm getting married as well this October. If I hear one more person tell me that I'm losing my hair because of the stress of the wedding....I'll scream. I'm not stressed about the wedding...I'm stressed about having any hair for my wedding. I'm surrounded by people who don't understand the seriousness of my hairloss. I went to try on veils last month with my mother and the saleslady yanked on my hair too many times for my liking. I told her not to pull my hair too tight because it was falling out.....and her response was that a lot of brides lose some hair before their wedding. Then my mother responded....in a genuine tone that I might need some hair extensions for the wedding. I just laughed to myself at what she had said because even though she was trying to be sympathetic....it just burned my feelings even more.
Anyways, on a lighter note. Did you get bloodwork done yet???? You know....there are many Dermatologists out there.....you are taking a step in the right direction by shopping around for someone who specializes in hairloss. Make sure you get some bloodwork done. And as for the baby....make sure you ask about Rogaine to any Dr. that you might see. My dermatologist told me to keep using Rogaine even while trying to get pregnant. Don't worry about your hairloss when you are pregnant because you won't shed as much.
As for the Rogaine...I'm in week 10 of taking the stuff while taking iron supplements as well. So far....no results...it apparently takes 4-6 months before it starts to work. But beware...you will shed a lot at first when taking the Rogaine....I did...but it stopped. If you read some of my earlier posts....I was freaking out because I thought the Rogaine was worsening the situation. But, I was relieved when I read the Rogaine website...it did comment on increase in hairloss. Plus the support I received in this forum...... hang in there.....don't assume that because your mom is going bald , that you are doomed to be bald. You have done a big step by coming to this website because the people in here are very supportive. Plus you are shopping for Doctors....that is excellent.... Let us all know how you are doing....
take care...
Rozzy :)

msgluv

Reaction score
Oh my god- Thank you!

Hello!
Thank you for responding so quickly. It is unbelievable how helpful it is just to chat with people who are going through the same thing. I just bought the book "The Truth about Women's Hairloss", made an appointment with a derm who specializes in hair loss, and called the gyne. to discuss going off the pill (as that may be causing the loss). Thanks again... I will keep you posted. Also, I wish both of you all the best. Please keep me updated on your situations. I would love to be a leaning shoulder for you too! Now I am off for the summer, as I am a teacher. So, I will have time to research this more. If you know of anything important I should know about all of this, let me know. I will do the same for you. THANKS AGAIN for "listening" and responding. "Talk" to you soon!

msgluv

Reaction score
Rogaine question

Hi! It's me again. Just a quick question- how do you apply the rogaine? I need to use hair products before I blow dry (as I have not only thin balding hair, but a frizz problem as well! :freaked2: ) The lousy derm I went to said I could still use all of that, and then put on the rogaine. Just wait 15 minutes before using hairspray. However, rogaine said it needed to be on a dry, clean scalp. Who knows who is right????????????
Also, about the wedding hair and veil, I already KNOW I am getting a fake hair piece to put in. I will have tons of trials. I want to prevent any hair catostrophes on that day!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!

msgluv

Reaction score
Rogaine question

Hi! It's me again. Just a quick question- how do you apply the rogaine? I need to use hair products before I blow dry (as I have not only thin balding hair, but a frizz problem as well! :freaked2: ) The lousy derm I went to said I could still use all of that, and then put on the rogaine. Just wait 15 minutes before using hairspray. However, rogaine said it needed to be on a dry, clean scalp. Who knows who is right????????????
Also, about the wedding hair and veil, I already KNOW I am getting a fake hair piece to put in. I will have tons of trials. I want to prevent any hair catostrophes on that day!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!

Reaction score
I haven't started Rogaine yet - but I do know from my research that you should apply it to a dry scalp let it soak for awhile and then apply your other products as necessary. Check out the Rogaine site for woman all the information is there for you. Also - trust the Rogaine website for application directions - its hard to tell wether derms these days are in the loop when it comes to hair loss, especially in women. I beleive that once the Ropgaine has soaked in you may be able to wet the hair and apply your frizz lotions......

Definetly keep us posted....let me know how the Rogaine is working for you - I may make the purchse tonight......