Please Help me self diagnose

VValentine

Reaction score
I'm in a tough situation mentally. About 6 months ago, I did a stint with Accutane that lasted about 2-3 months. I did a lot of reading, and saw a ton of stuff about Accutane and hair loss. This got me really paranoid.

One day I woke up, touched the top of my hair, and thought, "oh my god my hair is so thin!" Then I started noticing all the hair I was shedding. Maybe it was because I was growing my hair long and so my shedding was more noticable, or maybe the Accutane did have something to do with it, but I got really frightened.

My hair is shorter now, and as I said I've been off the medication for about 6 months. I don't see as much shedding, but as I said this could be because of hair length. My hair texture, however, still seems thin and dry. Although the dryness did seem to come on suddenly and affected all the hair on my head, I feel like the hair on top is especially thin.

My family says they don't notice any difference, but that is hardly evidence either way. This fear of losing my hair has gotten to be a real burden mentally, and I've even begun using Rogain, "just in case".

Some days I think it's all in my head... paranoia begun by reading so many online posts about Accutane. Other times I think I really have been going through Telogen Effluvium and that I just need to wait longer. Still other times I feel I may be experiencing the beginning of male pattern baldness. I'm not sure what's going on because it seemed like I literally went to bed with normal hair and woke up with really dry, thin hair. I know Accutane stops sebum production, so maybe this could explain the sudden dryness...

Visually, it's hard to say what's going on. There does seem to be a lot of shorter hairs growing in which kinda suggests an initial recovery from Telogen Effluvium.

I'm 25 now, and there is some history of baldness in my family. My father, who is in his 60's now, isn't bald but has a really thin top and a high hair line. I used to take comfort in the fact my hair has never been like his (his is thin and straight, mine is thick and wavy). Now, I just don't know. Does this even make a difference? There are also members of my family who had hair into their 80's. I used to tell myself, 'There's no way I'm going bald because I have my great grandfather's hair.

I wish there was a way of putting my mind at ease. I don't see any real recession in my hairline.... maybe a bit on my temple, but then again I lost my little-boy hairline long ago and there is a good chance it has always been that way. I look at pictures all the time trying to figure it out... I'm going nuts.

Can anyone offer me any adivice to either figure out what the hell is going on with my hair or how to stop this obsession? Sorry about the long post, but I really need to get over this thing. Thanks all!

Zen2Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
"A doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient"

I would get some legit medical advice

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...Accutane, that must be the stuff that treats acne? If that's the case, I'd get your Doctor's opinion on it. Set your mind at ease though as worrying about it right now can compound the challenge.