Please help: Am I Shedding/Is This working?

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
I could really use your feedback. I started .5mg daily of Proscar in early February of '06. The first two weeks I noticed my hair thickened up a little. I did have a lot of side effects however I felt like "hey if my hair is thickening up a little (no regrowth) in the first 2 weeks than the side effects should be worth it when the regrowth kicks in! I was very optimistic. Then after 2 weeks my hair slowly went back to its old ways. Thinning but remained optimistic because I know it takes time. I went away on vacation in July for 1 week and decided to go with out Finasteride for a little break and a clearer head. Man, by the end of the vacation I was shedding bad. As soon as I got home I went on 1mg of Finasteride daily. The shedding slowed down a little but again the side effects were a bit much so after 3 weeks I went to approximately .7mg Finasteride daily. My hair continues to thin especially in the frontal section. It is thinning in that area much quicker than it was with out the Finasteride. So it is now August 15 and still no regrowth, and hair continues to thin, especially in the front. Can any one give me serious advice? I also use Nizoral 1-2x''s per week. About 2 years ago I tried Minoxidel although that fried my scalp. My hair turned significantly lighter, was extremely uncomfortable, and was generally a lot less healthy looking. So basically 1-Started .5 mg Finasteride in Februarry 06'
2-Missed a week in July and shed (still no regrowth at all).
3-Immediately went to 1mg Finasteride daily for app 3 weeks but dropped to .7 mg daily due to side effects (and still get them).
4-Hair continues to thin, especially in frontal section.
5-Advice? Thanks

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
You know it can take a year to notice any effects right? I would recommend getting on the normal 1mg dosage and sticking to it for a year. If you can't handle the sides then you might try dutasteride.