Please give feedback on the products I have purchased to maintain the hair system

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have my first ever installation in a few days. It will be a Lavivid Ares -- poly sides and back and lace top and front/hairline with bleached knots. I did a lot of research and am considering these products and would love any input on if this is a good way to go about it.
  1. A three-way mirror - to see back of head for installation etc
  2. A1 Pacific Female Styrofoam Mannequin Head, 11" L - for maintenance and drying
  3. A silk pillow case - for good hair maintenance during sleep
  4. Walker Max Hold Sport - for a scalp protector for longer holds
  5. Walker Ultra Hold Mini Tabs tape - to tape the majority of the base (both lace and poly parts) except hairline
  6. Walker tape co New Ultra Hold Acrylic Adhesive - A glue to use for the front hairline only. Choosing this over ghost bond cause its clear and I hear it lasts longer / is stronger.
  7. Walker Tape Lace Front Mini's Double Sided Tape - to experiment with taping the front hairline, maybe I'd prefer it over glue.
  8. C-22 adhesive solvent - for removal
  9. L'Oreal Paris EverPure Moisture Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner - seems to be a decent choice for washing once or twice a week
  10. Pureology Color Fanatic Leave-in Conditioner - seems to be a popular leave-in conditioner I would use daily
  11. AquaBliss High Output Revitalizing Shower Filter - Apparently people recommend this to keep hair system's quality from dropping from showering. Not sure how worth it this one is but people do seem to say it's worth it.
  12. Argan Oil - to use once or twice a week.
  13. Misc items for maintenance:
    A) Silicone Face Mask Brushes for glue application
    B) Spray Bottle (2X)
    C) Tangle Teezer comb
    D) Rat Tail Comb
    E) Mini Squeeze Bottles, 2-Piece
Products I will buy in store would be dawn dish soap, cotton balls, toothpicks, hair clips, 99% isopropyl alcohol and q tips.

Products I am debating getting but am holding off of for now:

1) Ghost Bond Platinum - I don't see the reason to get this at the moment because I hear Ultra Hold by Walker is superior for most people. If that one turns out bad I will try this.
2) Walker's Top-Loc Knot Sealer - This seems kind of controversial, some people like it and say it extends life of a lace system and some say it's useless. Still debating on this.
3) Walker Tape JUST RITE Positioning Spray - I came across this randomly and it seems really helpful, but I don't see anyone ever recommend it which makes me wonder if it's not as useful as it seems.
4) Walker No Shine Tape - I have seen some use this for their hairline and say it looks good enough, its intriguing enough to possibly try in the future.
5) Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Set - People seem to love this but I don't know if it really justifies the price tag over the Loreal set.
6) Revlon Professional Equave Hydro Nutritive Detangling Conditioner - Seems to also be a popular leave-in conditioner.

So this is the extent and culmination of where all my hours of reaearch took me. I would appreciate any feedack and what you guys think I should change or add. Thanks.

Last edited:

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Walker Contour Super tape
Walker Super Tape on roll
C-22
A silk pillow case
Ghost bond liquid for touch ups
Paraben / Sulphate free shampoo
Argan Oil - to use once or twice a week.
Wide wood wooden comb
Styrofoam Head
Pomade

My policy, is use what I have. Initially, I had 5 things If I need something add it. If its unused drop it.

Over the years I have added and dropped things.

Mirrors, shavers, razors etc I already had

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Walker Contour Super tape
Walker Super Tape on roll

I am assuming I am covered with numers #5 and #7 on my list

Ghost bond liquid for touch ups

I am assuming I can use my Walker Ultra Hold acrylic adhesive for that?

Wide wood wooden comb

I would also assume this does the same thing as the tangle teezer comb? (13C)

Interesting that you don't really use conditioner or a leave-in conditioner.

Interesting regarding the Pomade. I was thinking style products can kill the system faster but it seems like you do not feel that way.

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, you've done your research! Good on ya!

Walker tape co New Ultra Hold Acrylic Adhesive - A glue to use for the front hairline only. Choosing this over ghost bond cause its clear and I hear it lasts longer / is stronger.
A trick I leant from @TooBad with this is dilute with alcohol to make it easier to apply. The thing I've found is the strongest isn't always the best as the clean-up is a BIT**. I lost hair and had to soak in all kinds of solvents to get this stuff out. If you can get your hands on a few small bottles of other glues then you can experiment a bit. I would recommend GB Platinum & Walkers Mity Tite. Mity Tite is a weaker version of Ultra Hold but works well (for me) and is A LOT easier to clean-up. Just need to layer it a bit more.

Silicone Face Mask Brushes for glue application
I tried to apply Ultra Hold with this and believe me it was tough. I never managed to get the alcohol trick to work but these brushes work infinitely better: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X2JXJBT/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1

You may want to add an exfoliating glove to clean the glue off your skin. Otherwise looks like you set! Best of luck mate!

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve got everything covered!
Be sure to show a picture of the hair after the install, I saw your other post in regards to thin sides and back so wanted to see how well it blends

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pomade doesnt kill a system in my experience. I find if you apply it after the wash on damp hair its good for many days. It feels amazing to style your hair again.

With or without conditioner or a leave-in conditioner - Ive done both. I personally didn't find a major difference esp as I use oils and even that sparingly to warrant it being a regular part of my routine.

The method to bond, clean up and shampoo is the key minimalist approach which works for me. The rest is nice but not essential unless you find it so as you move along in your journey.

Too many products are not required at the start. Its just a hair system, not an attempt to climb mount everest ;-)

Fanjeera

Reaction score
What's the best water based adhesive for touch-ups that doesn't require 4 layers and 5 mins of waiting to dry?

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@mambovipi Thanks man! You convinced me to drop Ultra Hold adhesive for now and to try the two you just mentioned! I will get the other products you mentioned too.

@Hair system talk will do! My hair actually thankfully filled in significantly in the two months I grew it out. It still has DUPA but I think it is enough to blend in with the hair system.

@grincher understood!

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@mambovipi Thanks man! You convinced me to drop Ultra Hold adhesive for now and to try the two you just mentioned! I will get the other products you mentioned too.

@Hair system talk will do! My hair actually thankfully filled in significantly in the two months I grew it out. It still has DUPA but I think it is enough to blend in with the hair system.

@grincher understood!
cool, glad I could help. Lastly you mention using tape on the hairline and no shine is thin but if you have an exposed hairline then it might look okay but not completely invisible. There is a 3mm tape you can use for the front that I've read works well (https://www.holistique.co.uk/hair-s...ape-lace-front-thin-support-tapes-c-contours/). Otherwise glue is the best. I use tape for sides and back and glue at the front which works really well for me. I use the strongest possible tape (Ultra Hold) as try and keep it on for as long as possible and manage 3 weeks. Although my next tape to try will be the signature one.

best of luck and let us know how it all goes!

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cool, glad I could help. Lastly you mention using tape on the hairline and no shine is thin but if you have an exposed hairline then it might look okay but not completely invisible. There is a 3mm tape you can use for the front that I've read works well (https://www.holistique.co.uk/hair-s...ape-lace-front-thin-support-tapes-c-contours/). Otherwise glue is the best. I use tape for sides and back and glue at the front which works really well for me. I use the strongest possible tape (Ultra Hold) as try and keep it on for as long as possible and manage 3 weeks. Although my next tape to try will be the signature one.

best of luck and let us know how it all goes!

Hey man! Just curious, do you know if mity-tite can be applied to lace directly? Ghost bond platinum doesn't stick to my scalp at all, it just doesn't work. It seems like I just don't bond well with water based adhesives and am ready to try acrylic. I have both mity tite and ultrahold, but due to your comments I am not gonna pull out the big guns with ulta hold just yet.

My barber told me not to put acrylic with lace though, but I don't know if he's right on that. Can you give your opinion?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man! Just curious, do you know if mity-tite can be applied to lace directly? Ghost bond platinum doesn't stick to my scalp at all, it just doesn't work. It seems like I just don't bond well with water based adhesives and am ready to try acrylic. I have both mity tite and ultrahold, but due to your comments I am not gonna pull out the big guns with ulta hold just yet.

My barber told me not to put acrylic with lace though, but I don't know if he's right on that. Can you give your opinion?
hey man,

Def DO NOT put it on the lace. The clean-up will be a b**ch and it won't look good. I've done it accidentally before.
GB didn't work too well for me either. I had some odd skin issues with it too but that seems just me. Same as you the water based adhesives didn't work too well for me. I have oily skin.
Mity Tite has honestly been a god send. sh*t just works. I don't use the walkers sport scalp protector on the front as just complicates matters with touch-ups. I just use the normal one on the front and use the sport scalp protector anywhere where there is tape.
So for Mity Tite, here it is:
1) Apply one thin layer of the normal scalp protector (if you have it otherwise clean with alcohol).
2) Mark out the area with a comb.
3) Clip the hair back well so your hands are free.
4) I only apply around 1-2cm of glue personally to hold the very front and it works well but you can go deeper if you want.
4) Then the secret with the glue is apply VERY VERY thin layers. I apply around 3-4 but try 3 to start with. Must be very little on the brush when you apply it so you have to keep dipping it to get more. Be a little careful as it gets a little stringy so be carful not to get in your eyes.
5) I let it dry around 8-10 mins. I don't have a hair dryer but less time if you do I guess.
6) Then the details of how I put it down are here and putting it down in a way where there are no creases is KEY IMO: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/lessons-learnt-from-2-months-of-wearing.135709/
7) Lastly take the back end of a comb and spray a bit of IPA to avoid it sticking and use that to press each part down for 10 secs then let it cure fully.

Let us know how you get on and hope that helps!

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey man,

Def DO NOT put it on the lace. The clean-up will be a b**ch and it won't look good. I've done it accidentally before.
GB didn't work too well for me either. I had some odd skin issues with it too but that seems just me. Same as you the water based adhesives didn't work too well for me. I have oily skin.
Mity Tite has honestly been a god send. sh*t just works. I don't use the walkers sport scalp protector on the front as just complicates matters with touch-ups. I just use the normal one on the front and use the sport scalp protector anywhere where there is tape.
So for Mity Tite, here it is:
1) Apply one thin layer of the normal scalp protector (if you have it otherwise clean with alcohol).
2) Mark out the area with a comb.
3) Clip the hair back well so your hands are free.
4) I only apply around 1-2cm of glue personally to hold the very front and it works well but you can go deeper if you want.
4) Then the secret with the glue is apply VERY VERY thin layers. I apply around 3-4 but try 3 to start with. Must be very little on the brush when you apply it so you have to keep dipping it to get more. Be a little careful as it gets a little stringy so be carful not to get in your eyes.
5) I let it dry around 8-10 mins. I don't have a hair dryer but less time if you do I guess.
6) Then the details of how I put it down are here and putting it down in a way where there are no creases is KEY IMO: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/lessons-learnt-from-2-months-of-wearing.135709/
7) Lastly take the back end of a comb and spray a bit of IPA to avoid it sticking and use that to press each part down for 10 secs then let it cure fully.

Let us know how you get on and hope that helps!
Awesome dude, thanks so much. I assume that applying mity tite directly to the scalp and having it dry then applying the lace unit over it that makes it more bearable for cleanup etc. Good to know! Will try this out and get back to you. Invaluable advice, thanks!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
What's the best water based adhesive for touch-ups that doesn't require 4 layers and 5 mins of waiting to dry?
Or maybe not water based adhesives then. What acrylic adhesives require only 1 layer, not too much curing time and give the longest hold?

Last edited:

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or maybe not water based adhesives then. What acrylic adhesives require only 1 layer, not too much curing time and give the longest hold?
mity tite requires more than one layer but you just do it one after another. You don't have to wait between layers (I don't anyway). Time needed to let it become tacky is around 8-10 mins (then you can put the lace down) but can be quicker if you use a hair dryer. And for it to fully cure 24 hours. For me, it holds a good week when I use sufficient layers. I'm sure I could get away with two weeks with touch-ups but it would make the eventual clean-up much more complicated. Once a week is good enough for me.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
mity tite requires more than one layer but you just do it one after another. You don't have to wait between layers (I don't anyway). Time needed to let it become tacky is around 8-10 mins (then you can put the lace down) but can be quicker if you use a hair dryer. And for it to fully cure 24 hours. For me, it holds a good week when I use sufficient layers. I'm sure I could get away with two weeks with touch-ups but it would make the eventual clean-up much more complicated. Once a week is good enough for me.
Damn. So acrylic glues take even longer to dry than white glues?

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn. So acrylic glues take even longer to dry than white glues?
yeah but you just leave it, do the hairline in the morning and the next morning it's fully cured. With white glues you have to wait for ages between layers making the process longer. Although am not sure how long they take to fully cure (how long till you can get them wet).

mambovipi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome dude, thanks so much. I assume that applying mity tite directly to the scalp and having it dry then applying the lace unit over it that makes it more bearable for cleanup etc. Good to know! Will try this out and get back to you. Invaluable advice, thanks!
I missed this reply but yes directly to scalp just make sure the scalp is clean then let it dry (8-10mins) then put the lace down exactly as I described above. Remember the priority is to do it properly so that there are no creases. If you get it wrong initially (with my method in the other thread), you can try again and only once you have it right do you press the lace down fully.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I missed this reply but yes directly to scalp just make sure the scalp is clean then let it dry (8-10mins) then put the lace down exactly as I described above. Remember the priority is to do it properly so that there are no creases. If you get it wrong initially (with my method in the other thread), you can try again and only once you have it right do you press the lace down fully.

Sounds great bro. Have you ever tried just rite positioning spray or regular 99% alc to give yourself time to position it right?