please advise re: hairline pic

widows peak

Reaction score
so my question is....what's next?

i enjoy getting people's opinions re: success they've had w/ treatments.

my regimen:

• proscar 1.25 daily
    saw palmetto - i know i know, i'm done when i finish this bottle
    nizoral
    american crew revitalize (tricomin mimick)
    nioxin - occassionally

23 y/o i am wary to start minoxidil due to a couple of the "if you start, you will lose more hair if you stop" and "that it only works up to 4 years".

essentially i'm of the opinion that less is normally better to start.
please advise re: next phase of treatment.

a.) topical dht inhibitor - spironolactone?
b.) folligen
c.) nano shampoo
d.) minoxidil
e.) other

any advice is appreciated.

thanks so much.

-wp

i leave you w/ the pic - it is about a 1 year old.
i have experienced some improvement in the hair quality, but no so much hairline since then.

Temple_Front_03.jpg

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
your hairline is very similar to mine, only mine is recceded farther back.

your regime looks good

funkster

Reaction score
Any hair you gain as a direct result of minoxidil use will eventually be lost when you quit it, but you won't permanently lose *more* hair than was gained by minoxidil use, although you may experience temporary shedding of non minoxidil-induced hairs in the months after stopping treatment. These hairs do grow back, however.

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on your pics I don't know if I'd add anything else....maybe MSM or Biotin or Folligen if you really need something.

You look to be ok and unless you have some thin spots, I don't think minoxidil would help much...plus the quit/shed thing which I experienced first hand...not fun.

widows peak

Reaction score
so i've eliminated d and e.

the choice is now:

• topical
    nano
    folligen

what's the call vets?

bruce, stingray, etc?

thanks for the replies

-wp

Axon

Reaction score
Folligen is a stimulant, spironolactone will inhibit DHT. You need stimulation IMHO.

Cassin

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would drop E. To me that is exactly what you need.

B I would wait on. I love Folligen, it has done wonders for my irritation but it is a hassle, and I must admit I would prefer not to use it if I could. Considering I have tried every other thing possible to rid myself of irritation and NOTHING else has worked, Folligen is a must for me if I want to fight male pattern baldness.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Axon, stop flirting.

Widows - another rule of hair loss is to not change your regimen if at all possible. Doing so can introduce new sheds, etc.

The most important question that needs to be answered, in order to give you advice, is ..... How long have you been on your current regimen?

If the answer is 1 year or more, then the idea to add something is justified.

If the answer is 1 year or less, then you should not add anything yet.

Propecia will keep things from getting any worse, so waiting should not be a problem. Waiting allows optimal results before any changes are introduced.

If the answer is 1 year or more, there is absolutely positively no doubt in my mind that you should add minoxidil. There is no question. In conjunction with Propecia, the whole 4-5 year rule can dramatically change, extend, etc. Never avoid using Rogaine or Propecia because of some subjective opinions you've heard online about side effects or effectiveness. Opinions are like a-holes.... (including mine!)

HairLossTalk.com

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah minoxidil rules yo. It's done more for me than anything else. You should try to use it at least once a day for 6-8 months (4-6 months if used twice per day). I'd take minoxidil alone over all other topicals combined. It's reallly improved my frontal coverage and thickness. You should really at least see if it'll work for you. A 6 month supply of generic should only cost around $50 or so.

Fight On, Hair Warrior!