planning on getting a hair transplant with Umar or Feller.

plgrowhair

Reaction score
So here is my story guys. I will try to make it short as possible. I have been losing my hair since I was 20 years old(1997). I started on propecia and used it up till 2005. Since 2005 I have been on Dudasteride and Rogaine combined for the last 5 years.
I will post pictures that I took in 2005 and pictures that I just took today for comparisons. I know that Propecia, Dudasteride, and Rogaine have really helped me contain my hair loss but now I want back my temples. I will be getting a consultation with Dr. Umar and Dr. Feller sometime soon and would like your input on about how many grafts it will take to fill in my temples to satisfactory condition.
I have two major fears...first one is since hair loss is progressive should I have to wait any longer or just go for the hair transplant. Since Dudasteride and Rogaine is working(just not as effective as before) and I am 34 years old now and a Norwood 3. How much worse can my hairloss be in the future. Is there a test for future hairloss available?
2nd fear is since I am asian and dont heal from surgery well...I sometimes develop bad scars from skin trauma. I have two keloids on my chest from pimples when I was young. Should I be concerned about scarring after FUE. Has anyone you know not healed well from the FUE procedures? I have been reading this board for the past 5 years and it has really educated on the hairloss. Thanks again.

Attachments

• temp2005.jpg
    temp2005.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 317
  • temp20052.jpg
    temp20052.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 238
  • tem2.jpg
    tem2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 208
  • tem3.jpg
    tem3.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 201
  • tem4.jpg
    tem4.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 210

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Based on those pics you'd b crazy to get a hair transplant with that hair... :dunno: It just look too greate to risk a bad transplant.

plgrowhair

Reaction score
Yah that is why I plan on going with Umar or Feller. From reading these boards they seem to be very good doctors. My temples are worse in real life. It was hard for me to capture the extent of the hairloss taking pictures of myself.
MrBastard said:
Based on those pics you'd b crazy to get a hair transplant with that hair... :dunno: It just look too greate to risk a bad transplant.

s.a.f

Reaction score
WTF !!!! You're 34 yr old NW2 at most!!!!!
There is nothing wrong with your hair for a man in his 30's, You have no reason at all to even be thinking about a hair transplant!!! FFS You have more hair than I had at 17.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
crazy man here! maybe you don't have any male pattern baldness and you took those pills for nothing!

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything the others said previously. And I would add you should avoid hair transplant at every cost at this point since if you do it, it will be on the rather low and foremost part of your head. What if later for some reason (for example need to stop the medications) hair loss takes off leaving your scalp empty but your temples filled up? (hair transplant results are permanent as you know) You will be royally screwed up.

plgrowhair

Reaction score
I am not crazy Andrei. I went to a dermatalogist back then to get a prescription for Propecia. He defintiely said I was going bald because my hair was thinning already. All my friends said I had see through scalp back then too, thus the reason I went to see the dermatologist. I am defintely one person that propecia and avodart helped keep my hair all these years. My friends in high school who never went on those drugs are in alot worse shape then me these days. Back then I was the one to show the first signs of balding too.

I guess it is really a bad idea to get a hair transplant for my temples now according to the board. I will defintely think it through now since the respected board members have said no. Thanks again guys.
andrei_eremenko said:
crazy man here! maybe you don't have any male pattern baldness and you took those pills for nothing!

boss510

Reaction score
plgrowhair said:
I am not crazy Andrei. I went to a dermatalogist back then to get a prescription for Propecia. He defintiely said I was going bald because my hair was thinning already. All my friends said I had see through scalp back then too, thus the reason I went to see the dermatologist. I am defintely one person that propecia and avodart helped keep my hair all these years. My friends in high school who never went on those drugs are in alot worse shape then me these days. Back then I was the one to show the first signs of balding too.

I guess it is really a bad idea to get a hair transplant for my temples now according to the board. I will defintely think it through now since the respected board members have said no. Thanks again guys.
andrei_eremenko said:

You dont need a hair transplant bro, you would be crazy to get one,,,,,,,,,,, I wish that my tranplant results look as good you hair now, unlikely but I have hope.

robert west

Reaction score
You probably just had a maturing hairline. Some mens hairlines mature into a U shape. Your hair looks outstanding!

Wylie

Reaction score
This thread is proof why there is mucho money to be made in this industry. Factor in all the guys who actually did get butchered (there are too many to count) and the gravy train is pulling away, everyone with a scalpel, get onboard!

s.a.f

Reaction score
This is just proof that BDD is on the rise, I know guys who are almost NW3 and dont consider themselves to be balding, then you have guys like this who think they have a serious problem just because they dont have the same hairline they had at 13. I would have said that not top Dr would even operate on him, but sadly I know that many would gladly just take the money, but then again we live in a world where surgeons perform Lipo on anorexics.

cuebald

Reaction score
Umar may, and I mean may, do a small FUE session to fill in those temples.
I've seen it done before, a NW2.5 wants a NW1 and has had a hundred or two grafts FUE'd in.

hair transplant's to reshape minor temple loss usually come out pretty good - there's only a small area to fill, and only a small amount of donor taken.

However, you might not be a candidate based on your scarring - another Asian fellow went in for FUE with a poor doctor (I won't mention his name, but it begins with an A and ends in rmani) - and the patient scarred badly, not only did none of his grafts grow in he also lost adjacent hairs to shockloss!

If you're dead set on getting a hair transplant then you might as well go see one of the top FUE docs - if these docs don't think it is right, they won't operate. Personally, with that hairline, I wouldn't bother, but still.

DON'T go see any old hack that will perform the procedure for you. You will likely come out with less hair than you went in.

plgrowhair

Reaction score
Cuebald may I ask what kind of scarring did your friend get from the FUE procedure? Was the scarring in the area of his new hair or from the donor area and was the scarring really noticeable. Thanks again.

cuebald said:
Umar may, and I mean may, do a small FUE session to fill in those temples.
I've seen it done before, a NW2.5 wants a NW1 and has had a hundred or two grafts FUE'd in.

hair transplant's to reshape minor temple loss usually come out pretty good - there's only a small area to fill, and only a small amount of donor taken.

However, you might not be a candidate based on your scarring - another Asian fellow went in for FUE with a poor doctor (I won't mention his name, but it begins with an A and ends in rmani) - and the patient scarred badly, not only did none of his grafts grow in he also lost adjacent hairs to shockloss!

If you're dead set on getting a hair transplant then you might as well go see one of the top FUE docs - if these docs don't think it is right, they won't operate. Personally, with that hairline, I wouldn't bother, but still.

DON'T go see any old hack that will perform the procedure for you. You will likely come out with less hair than you went in.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Look, the real issue is you have very minimal loss, it is not even obvious male pattern baldness pattern loss but could pass for a mature hairline.

You have a history of keloid scarring, and you are proposing to have a procedure which could cover your scalp with keloid scars and make you look MUCH worse to rectify very minimal loss. That is just not intelligent.

You should not have a procedure at the current time & in fact I doubt if Feller or Umar would agree to operate on you.

Wait & see if your loss progresses further, then you should consider a small test session to if keloid scarring occurs on your scalp, if not then you can consider more work.

As you know keloid scarring is very disfiguring & you really don't want to risk it unnecessarily.