Planning for children

rom3

Reaction score
Hello All-

I've been on finasteride for the past 10 years now. I'm married now and am not sure if i should continue. Wondering if anyone has any info on how it can impact sperm/sperm count and any issues with babies. Please share you information. Would it make sense for me to test my sperm count?

rtc84

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, but I have asked doctors this question since I'll be in your position one day. The doctors said finasteride has does not pose any harm in having children. The drug does not transmit through sperm. I can't remember if I asked about sperm count, but I don't think you should worry. Many people have been having kids while on finasteride. If that was an issue, I'm sure the doctors would've said something.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Yes, test sperm count. If nothing else, you can get either piece of mind...or find out that something is wrong.

Also, remember...if you don't have any baseline values, then it's hard to compare it to anything. You can't say "IT WAS ALL finasteride'S FAULT!" if you don't have a starting value. For all we know...you might have had sperm problems all your life (although I hope that's not the case :) )

Let us know how it goes.

TEDDYRUKSPIN

Reaction score
This will always worry every person in the book.

I got a sperm count from my local hospital and my sperm count & mobility was above normal.

Just to say, I would definitely get this checked out as each individual does behave differently. After reading up all the publications on pubmed, people who suffer from infertility problems are not always links to finasteride. Sometimes, their own health, diets etc are a major factor.

One person on another forum blamed her partner that it was propecia that caused the sudden sperm count. No one told her that drinking excessively daily does damage also.