Piroctone Olamine Vs Nizoral (or Other Keto Shampoo)

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any thoughts gents?

Compared to Ketoconazole, Piroctone Olamine ensures an increase in the number of hairs in the anagen (growth) phase by more than 10% in 33% of people. Piroctone Olamine gives 88% of the people thicker hair, despite hereditary hair loss, whereby this is 78% with Ketoconazole

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's was for Nizoral. In Europe PO is used in dundruff shampoos intended for a daily use.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the UK Head and Shoulders has it instead of Zinc P. So this. Most dundruff shampoos is the UK has it.

Durandal

My Regimen
Reaction score
What version or brand will you be using? Keep us posted on results or other please??

Planning to use shampoo from Head & Shoulders. Sure I will post results, I hope it will help my hair to be thick again.
Btw, fun fact: Few years ago before I can clearly see my hair loss, I had really thick hair and was using anti-dandruff shampoo pretty much everyday, perhaps it was one of the reasons behind it.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any idea if this compares in effectiveness to zinc pyrithione shampoo which I've just added

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really interesting stuff, im sure i have seen that in shampoos before but never thought of picking it up. Nizoral fries my hair even with a decent conditioner afterwards so i stopped using it. Might just give a shampoo with this in it a shot, can't hurt.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any idea if this compares in effectiveness to zinc pyrithione shampoo which I've just added
This is a study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517
It seams like it is better than ketoconazole but study with zinc pyrithione 1% vs minoxidil give me some distance since combination of zinc pyrithione with minoxidil dont give better result than minoxidil by it self while ketoconazole with minoxidil is better than minoxidil alone. Since most guys with hairloss are using minoxidil we dont know if piroctone olamine gives any benefits with minoxidil. Ketoconazole weakly antagonise androgen receptor plus decreases androgen production in the skin so it works through diffrent pathway.

CinnamonRoll

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been an advocate of Piroctone Olamine for years. It actually has a synergetic effect with Keto. Unlike Zinc P, they are more effective when stacked. And unlike Zinc P, it doesn't interfere with minoxidil.

The problem is most shampoos that feature it have trivial amounts of it. There's a german "shampoo" that's basically liquid alcohol and not what I think of when I think shampoo. It's STRONG. Like 3% PO and can dry your scalp out pretty bad if used daily. It penetrates really well though. I still have it, but rarely use it. It's name is "Seborin Haarwasser" and it's moderately priced around $15 for what would have lasted me for about 3-4 months of daily use.

I've been using ClubRoots shampoo for a while, and it does have useful levels of PO(1%), and adenosine. But it doesn't penetrate as well as that German shampoo. Depending on scalp type I'd suggest the German one. Club roots is also about 6x as expensive ounce for ounce. $30 for 8 oz is pushing it for me, but it does have a good mix of ingredients(if you do buy, avoid their stupid brush it's absolute trash and leaves your hair a sticky mess).

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both won't provide you any cosmetic improvement, so take anyone

LifeSucks5008

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seams like it is better than ketoconazole but study with zinc pyrithione 1% vs minoxidil give me some distance since combination of zinc pyrithione with minoxidil dont give better result than minoxidil by it self while ketoconazole with minoxidil is better than minoxidil alone. Since most guys with hairloss are using minoxidil we dont know if piroctone olamine gives any benefits with minoxidil. Ketoconazole weakly antagonise androgen receptor plus decreases androgen production in the skin so it works through diffrent pathway.
How can something weakly antogonise ?...if it does something...it should completely block receptor.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How can something weakly antogonise ?...if it does something...it should completely block receptor.
weak anatgonist means that you need higher concentration of antagonist to block receptor while strong anatagonist needs low concentration to block receptor(strong androgen receptor antagonist would be cyproterone acetate)

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Talk about PO exposure time:

http://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/j.1467-2494.2003.00195.x

Both shampoos induced significant reductions in scaliness and yeast colonization. The beneficial effects were obvious immediately after one single shampooing and 3 days later as well.

The improvement was greater with a 5-min residence time. The piroctone olamine treatment benefited more than the ketoconazole treatment from the extension of shampoo-exposure time. In conclusion, the benefit of a residence time in treating dandruff is documented. The level of improvement efficacy may vary according to the nature of the shampoo.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seborin Haarwasser
I've been an advocate of Piroctone Olamine for years. It actually has a synergetic effect with Keto. Unlike Zinc P, they are more effective when stacked. And unlike Zinc P, it doesn't interfere with minoxidil.

The problem is most shampoos that feature it have trivial amounts of it. There's a german "shampoo" that's basically liquid alcohol and not what I think of when I think shampoo. It's STRONG. Like 3% PO and can dry your scalp out pretty bad if used daily. It penetrates really well though. I still have it, but rarely use it. It's name is "Seborin Haarwasser" and it's moderately priced around $15 for what would have lasted me for about 3-4 months of daily use.

I've been using ClubRoots shampoo for a while, and it does have useful levels of PO(1%), and adenosine. But it doesn't penetrate as well as that German shampoo. Depending on scalp type I'd suggest the German one. Club roots is also about 6x as expensive ounce for ounce. $30 for 8 oz is pushing it for me, but it does have a good mix of ingredients(if you do buy, avoid their stupid brush it's absolute trash and leaves your hair a sticky mess).
Were is written 3% po?