Piece Won't Sit On Head Without Wrinkles

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this mean the piece isn't a correct fit? It should sit on your head fine, right? I'm having an impossible time trying to attach without wrinkles. Will the piece still be usable until I can order from a competent company? (i.e. not )

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Hi JC

After you put on the glue/tape, are you using a spritz of isopropyl alcohol on your scalp and on the underside of the piece to give yourself a few seconds when you can move the base around, before the adhesive kicks in? It gives you a little bit of flexibility to correct an error by sliding the base around, and the alcohol avaporates off after a few seconds and doesn't harm the bond.

If you are doing that and the piece is still wrinkling, then it is probably a poor fit. There may still be a possible fix though. Was it a stock or a custom piece? Lace or skin? Where does it normally wrinkle? What adhesives are you using? Full scalp or just perimeter?

Noah

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, Noah, thanks for the response,

I've been using alcohol, yes, and still wrinkling.

Custom piece from the clowns over at TOPLACE, lace, the one noticeable wrinkle is on the hairline but overall, it doesn't seem a great fit, True Blue tape as a temporary tape until I order a better one, and just perimeter.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, sounds like it's just not a good fit. The workaround I had in mind was to cut two pleats on the piece over the temples, out of sight of the hairline, so that you can make the fit slightly tighter. That is what this guy does:

and he gets a great result. Coincidentally (?!) it's a Toplace piece too. It's not ideal that you should have to do this, but maybe it's better than just throwing out an otherwise decent piece, or having wrinkles which compromise your undetectability.

Noah

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like it's just not a good fit. The workaround I had in mind was to cut two pleats on the piece over the temples, out of sight of the hairline, so that you can make the fit slightly tighter. That is what this guy does:

and he gets a great result. Coincidentally (?!) it's a Toplace piece too. It's not ideal that you should have to do this, but maybe it's better than just throwing out an otherwise decent piece, or having wrinkles which compromise your undetectability.

Noah

Thanks.

Maybe I'll try that. I'm ordering some 3 Mil anyway, so I'll try that too, see if it helps. I attached the piece myself for the first time and there are wrinkles and gaps everywhere, not sure if it's down to something I'm doing, or if have just sold me a complete dud. It's incredibly frustrating, as I asked the question at several forums about how accurate the template needs to be before doing it, and mine wouldn't have won any awards, but how can it be this bad? :( But then this is from the company that put a crown at the front of my hairpiece and just began ignoring my emails about that, so it can't be ruled out that this is on them.

Sigh. I would dearly like to throw in the towel, I've really had enough of hair pieces now, but when it's styled my piece looks awesome, and I can't work a shaved head, so I have no option but to continue. I'm obviously going to have to buy from a company that isn't a bunch of incompetent clowns. I'll have someone experienced in dealing with pieces do my template as well, I could never do my own again after this and risk throwing another £300+ down the toilet.

Last edited:

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've looked at the pleats thing, but there seem to be issues all around, I don't think it would work. Thanks anyway. Could it be the tape I'm using, maybe using glue might help? I don't want to just buy glue for the sake of it. When there is no adhesive and just the piece, should it not fit on the head fine with no wrinkles? That would be a way of telling if it is a bad fit or not?

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, it should be a snug fit without glue. As an experiment how about trying it with Got2BGlued? That gives you a lot of flexibility and time to get the piece into position.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe it's my own fault and the template wasn't good enough. On the other hand I was told in several forums that it didn't need to be perfect... who knows. Maybe are completely incompetent? I would strongly advise anyone else not to use them. I already have Got2B so maybe I'll try that. But sadly that's £300 odd down the toilet on the first piece and I'll have to get another. Based on my experience I would also strongly advise anyone else to not do the template by yourself, as you run the risk of ending up with a piece of rubbish that doesn't even seem like it was intended for your head. I'm absolutely hating hair pieces right now.

Last edited:

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be that bad when on my head with no adhesive, but still doesn't feel an especially good fit. But the man problem area is where the temple point? is, on the right side of the piece in the photo, right where the poly? ends and lace begins, where there is a ripple when I don't have the piece on. Also one right at the front of the piece at the hairline. Is there a way to straighten it out maybe?

Attachments

• WIN_20180502_18_17_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180502_18_17_29_Pro.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 378

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, had another look and it just doesn't seem it fits correctly. I can't lay it flat over my head, there are ripples everywhere. Utter piece of rubbish from .

Last edited:

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All mentions of the place I bought it from I've deleted. I'm sure genuine error on their part, or fault of my own, and my anger isn't justified. I'm just frustrated but need to deal with the whole process a lot better.