Pictures

Reaction score
This was a full head of hair less than 4 months ago:

http://www.geocities.com/youcaneatpie5

A derm I saw [for another condition] said it looked like some hairs were actually breaking off. What would cause such a rapid hair loss and what's the right thing to do from here?

hopewas

Reaction score
it's hard to believe that happened in four months,..i'm sure you were thinning for at least a year or two..anyways..if i were you, i'd shave it all off..that's the best thing to do when it's so noticible like that. otherwise people will just be staring at your bald spot..at least shaved..withb the bald spot you have, people won't notice you're going bald

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree, right now it would probably be a good idea to go really short. Not nessisarily clean shaven, and people will still clearly see the bald spot, but when its really short it doesnt look bad.

As for that happening in 4 months, I have never heard of anyone losing so much hair so fast due to MBP. And although the area is one commonly associated with male pattern baldness, the pattern is unusually unsemetrical. I would not be supprised if you are experiencing some other form of alopecia. You might want to get another Dermatologists opinon or two.

Reaction score
Definitely going to see another derm, but finding a good one in my area has proved to be difficult. The only one that lists alopecia as one of his specialities doesn't accept insurance...

And actually, I started noticing the thinning less than 3 months ago but I assume about 4 months ago it was normal.

As for the asymmetry, my derm [and barber] said they haven't seen pattern loss like that before. But of course, I should see someone more qualified. The loss is already starting to creep down into the left temple [which the pictures don't accurately show] but the right temple is still somewhat [relatively] thick.

It doesn't look nearly as bad as I've shown in the pictures because I'm pulling my hair back and I'm also 6'2", so very few people can see the top of my head normally. I considered starting a minoxidil treatment but the box contained a warning against using it on rapid hair loss.

Reaction score
Saw another dermatologist about my situation. A skin biopsy came back not supporting other causes of hair loss (alopecia areata or even lupus). The dermatologist was almost certain it was alopecia areata until this test didn't support his impression. He said that it would seemingly be androgenic alopecia then.

Should I see yet another dermatologist. Would blood tests be much more conclusive than a skin biopsy?

hope is near

Reaction score
You need to have a fuul evaluation: Hormones levels, evaluate your diet, vitamin intake, ...

This isn't normal in 4 months.

That being said it could mean a complete reversal wintin time.