PICS of my hair loss, need advice! only 21 yrs old

hairloss1231

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need to do something about my hair loss/thinning and what better way to learn by asking people who are going through the same thing and can maybe shed (no pun intended) some light on what I need to do.

About my hair: I have an oily scalp and if I don't shampoo my hair everyday it gets oily and itchy. I barely used to shampoo everyday because I heard it can damage your hair. Then I heard that if you have an oily scalp you should shampoo everyday so I began to do so about a couple weeks ago. I use Johnson's baby shampoo. I've heard a sign of male pattern baldness is when your hairline begins to recede. However, mine has not receded at all, instead, I'm just losing a lot of hair on the top of my head as well as the crown area. I also barely see any hair on my pillow when I wake up (maybe 1-3 strands). However, I usually see around 20 strands when I shampoo my hair.

I've included 6 pics of my head so you guys can see what type of hair loss it is (if there are any types).

The first two pics is how I usually style my hair (kind of like a slick back except hair is not as long and i don't use any products) Don't know if there is even a name of this hairstyle.

The next two pics is of the right of my crown where you can notice a bald spot. I've had this little spot since beginning high school I believe (i'm entering my 4th year in College now). I've never got any stitches or surgery of some sort on that spot so I'm pretty much its been there because of my hair thinning.

The last two pics is my how the top of my head looks when I brush my hair down.

Genetics: Well, both my parents are above 50. My dad has pretty much lost all his hair on the top with like around 50 strands remaining. And my mom's hair is very thin as well. However, my dad and mom are usually stressed out a lot so that could have caused the hair loss/thinning. My dad also got his hair permed when he was young and I heard that can cause hair loss because both my dad's brothers have never had any hair loss. I'm telling you this because I am not entirely sure if genes are the reason for my hair loss.

Diet: I've very healthy. I watch my macros and make sure I get sufficient amount of protein, carbs, and healthy fats. I also take multi-vitamins. And I workout 5 times a week.

As a kid, around age 12-19, my hairs always been itchy but I never seemed to care and I've always had dandruff all my life and when I use something like head & shoulders i see more flakes in my head.

I've been shampooing everyday for the last two weeks and my flakes have pretty much disappeared and there's barely any sense of itchiness. However I continue to lose around 20+ strands of hair every time I shampoo (Johnson's Baby Shampoo).

My question is that I don't know if this is male pattern baldness or is it because I never really took care of my hair especially since its always been oily and has dandruff. My dandruff has been pretty mild btw since the last year or so.

I'm really shocked I'm seeing signs of hair loss at such a young age and I'm hoping I can still regrow my hair before my hairline begins to recede.

I think I've given you guys all the information I could possibly give you about my hair so if you have any advice on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any more questions for me, just comment below and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

2014-07-21 18.43.30.jpg2014-07-21 18.44.17.jpg2014-07-21 18.45.49.jpg2014-07-21 18.46.31.jpg2014-07-21 18.47.45.jpg2014-07-21 18.47.29.jpg

aero1976

Reaction score
We have the exact same hair loss. Use finasteride, minoxidil once a day and get nizoral shampoo 2% on ebay from Australia. You might want to consider a hair transplant.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairloss is following the female pattern. Interesting..
Anyways, finasteride, minoxidil and ketokonazole shampoo. Forget the hair transplant, you are too young and not in need of it at all.

hairloss1231

Reaction score
Hey eenrak and aero1976. I know I can get Minoxidil over the counter but what about Finasteride? And is Finasteride in a pill form? Btw, I live in Canada

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
You can only get 2% over the counter in Canada afaik. However, it is available online (don't know the risks of it getting taken by customs). I suggest you get the 5% if you can.
Finasteride is best to get a prescription for, yes it is in pill form. Ask for 5mg pills that you can split in to fourths since it is many times cheaper than Propecia which is basically the same but at the lower dose of 1mg.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
yes OP. get on the big 3. Finasteride, Minoxidil and Ketoconazole shampoo. Good luck!