Photos over five and a half years

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
I joined the forum in 2006 because my wife and I had noticed one of our sons had a bald patch starting on the top of his head. It had never been noticeable a few months earlier when we had last seen him. The original post is at: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28925&p=238687#p238687

I posted a few photos a while back but now have June 2011

He has been 'taking': Proscar (1/6 approx. of a tablet daily); Proxiphen and Nizerol shampoo
He is now only taking the Proscar every other day, so most probably not enough after so long. The reason is that, he has been worried about long term affects on his body and is now in a steady relationship - unfortunately, the girl likes hair!
The Photobucket file is at:

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/pratc/Hair/

Hovering the mouse over them gives the date and clicking enlarges them.
I thought I would update as when I first read the forums people were saying there were so many negatives and not many positives. As was pointed out by someone, that is because many who are having/had success don't come back.

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He still you the minoxidil? How much per day?

Did he go through any sheds with finasteride.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
He still you the minoxidil? How much per day?

Did he go through any sheds with finasteride.

Hi
No minoxidil (except what is in Proxiphen - I think) and no sheds

jd_uk

Reaction score
I'm so confused by this. You told your son he was balding and gave him strong medication which has potentially very strong side effects and unknown long term effects (recently reported increased risk of deadly prostate cancer - FDA have made them change labels), and looking at the pictures - all I can see is a fairly normal looking crown anyway???

There's something a bit messed up about this. What message have you given your son about what going bald means?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
He has a normal looking crown because they jumped on treatment sooner rather than later. I fail to see what the problem is.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
jd_uk said:
I'm so confused by this. You told your son he was balding and gave him strong medication which has potentially very strong side effects and unknown long term effects (recently reported increased risk of deadly prostate cancer - FDA have made them change labels), and looking at the pictures - all I can see is a fairly normal looking crown anyway???

There's something a bit messed up about this. What message have you given your son about what going bald means?

Fact:

(1) He was a student and there was no noticeable hair loss at Easter BUT by the summer vacation both my wife and I independently noticed a bald patch. It may not be as obvious from the photos, but it was strikingly obvious to us.
(2) I joined the forum and asked... We then discussed it with him. He is scientifically trained and we did not GIVE them to him. He made the decision. At the time, some medical people were actually saying that finasteride was 'good' and in future may be given to stop the onset of prostate cancer.
(3) The items he was/is taking did help. He wasn't taking much finasteride and is now taking much less and is going to stop becasue of potential problems. His decision. The early high rate of hair loss was obvious and it stopped. Perhaps it was one in particular or a combination.

The End