(photo) Is This How A Thin Skin Hairline Should Look?

Is this hairline the best that I can expect is cost is not an issue?

• Yes, it's attached correctly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, something is wrong and it should be better.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Steve Michael

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just had a "thin skin" system attached by a professional salon that specializes in men's hair systems and women's wigs. I am unhappy with the hairline of the "thin skin" system (photos attached). The hair professional that attached it cut it in, and styled it says that my skin is too tan for the stock system and a darker scalp material is available for custom thin skin systems, but that the standard dark would be too dark for me.

Is this hairline normal? I was expecting it to look much more "undetectable". The white excess material that scallops from the hairline is quite visible and not what I expected at all. Will a full swiss lace cap provide me with better results?

Also, this system is incredibly itchy every time I sweat just a little bit. The hair replacement professional that attached it recommended that I soak my scalp in sea breeze to alleviate itching. This seems off to me as Sea Breeze is made up of mostly alcohol and I fear it will prematurely degrade the bonding tape.

Please help with any feedback or advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,122
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,123

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately wigs are a very imperfect solution to hair loss and most of the fantastic pics you see online are smoke and mirrors. Ie. Perfect lighting, perfect angles, perfect glue job which isnt all attainable in the real world.

It could probably be a tiny bit better as I think that's whitening from the glue at the edge which shouldn't be visible, but not dramatically better overall.

You may wish to start wearing your hair down or forward to hide the hairline. It will make it much easier over the long term as keep in mind you will always have good attachment days and bad attachment days and this will give you one less thing to stress about.

The blend and style looks very good though.

Regarding itching with thins I've heard of some having tiny ventilation holes to help the skin breathe.

Do you know what thickness in mm the base is? Also how is the hair attached to the base? Ie. Knotted/injected/v-looped?

Steve Michael

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you ideal forehead. Yeah, I definitely understand that many of the photos may set unreasonable expectations. So, I was basing my expectations on actual user submitted photos from YouTube and other sources.

This system is a .03mm thin skin that was attached using double sided clear super thin tape and no glue. I believe the white material that is visible in the hairline is excess “skin” or poly material from the base. Is this normal?

I’m having a hard time finishing men’s hairstyles that are contemporary and cover the hairline. It seems like all modern men’s hairstyles leave an exposed hairline. Do you have a source of photos that might show hidden hairline hairstyles?

I thank you in advance for all of your help and advice!

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not an expert at this but I think a lot of guys prefer to use glue at the hairline because tape is by definition a sheet of plastic with glue on it. So if you're using tape youre adding yet another layer of plastic under the base.

I would try substituting the tape at the hairline for a glue and see if it gives you a more natural result.

What I meant about hiding it is a slightly forward combed style long term may make wearing more stress free.

58206bcd55c364e4851505b2a4ba1ce5--older-men-hairstyles-mens-haircuts.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Steve

You do have a very deep tan, and I just think the standard whitish thinskin base is not going to work for you. I don't know what colour variations are available for thinskin, so you could investigate that for your next system, but it sounds like it would mean changing supplier too. I do know that lace bases are available in a wide variety of different skin tones, and I am confident that you could get a good match using lace.

I agree with you that it is hard to find a "grown up" hairstyle which has a completely covered-up hairline. I brush my hair forward and then flip it up with a bit of gel of wax, which means the hairline is exposed but permanently in the shade. You might try that.

Switching to lace might also cure the itching problem. Lace is breathable, and sweat just goes through the base and evaporates away as it does with growing hair, whereas skin bases are impermeable and the sweat gets trapped under the base. I wouldn't ignore the itch - it could be that the adhesive being used is irritating your skin. You don't want to get to the point where you end up having to take your system off to let the skin recover. I would go back to your supplier and ask him to change your adhesive, or to use a scalp-protector (barrier liquid) to prevent the irritation.

Noah