Pharohs Story

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im a 21 year old, have had a natural far-back hairline as long as I can remember. Guess I must have started receding at around 18, but still managed to keep my hair long enough to style. For the last year however the hairloss has speeded up and so have been keeping my haid shaved (grade 1, not razored), and the last 6 months or so it seems to be speeding up even more. I am thinning all over on the top but thats not whats so noticeable - I have a receding hairline at the front, like I see with a lot of balding guys, so I'm left with a kinda mohican strip down the middle. I guess its similar to a norwood 3, but a bit different.

I know theres quite a lot of 30 years olds on here with hairloss, but man, what I wouldn't give to start losing my hair in my 30's rather than now! I wouldn't even mind losing it in my late 20's, but it just sucks already going bald when I'm still at university and supposedly in the prime of my life.

I've always been really self-concious about the way I look and little confidence with girls (which is odd because I had a lot of luck with girls when I was 17-19 and had my mad hair) and now that my girlfriend of 3 years has broken up with me its left me with no confidence whatsoever, and the main factor of this is my hairloss. I am forever checking my hair out in the mirror, and always worried when I go out that people are looking at my hair.

So finally after several months of research and putting if off have decided to do something about it.

I bought some Nisim shampoo because it looked a good place to start. However I noticed on these forums there is never much said about the stuff - the only post I read about it a user said they shed a lot of hair and got irritation from it. I only used it two days and got some mild irritation, and after reading the post decided to stop using it for a while.

So I have decided I am going to start with proscar (which I have ordered and awaiting delivery) in combination with using T-Gel/T-Sal and Nizoral. I am a bit reluctant to start using minoxidal just yet, mainly because not sure I want to go to that much trouble and plus I really don't like the idea of it initially making some of my hair fall out. I realise this is only supposed to be temporary, but I am very protective of what hair I still have! :)

Idealy I want to stop any further hairloss, and if really lucky to get a bit of regrowth. The good thing (if you can call it good) is that around my "mohican" strip there is still some hair, but obviously thinned out, losing its colour and becoming thinner as seems is the norm.

I also decided to take vitman C and Viamin B Complex supplements because supposedly they help that kinda thing.

I know this isn't a questions page, but would be very grateful if anyone can give any suggestions to a regrowth treatment other than minoxidil - I was thinking about maybe a folligen lotion, perhaps even try using revivogen - aslong as its not something likely to make more of my hair fall out.

I don't plan on seeing a doctor/GP about it, again mainly because I don't feel confident enough about it and would feel embarrasses...stupid I know, but unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Sorry for the long post guys :)

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am 28 years old, and you make a good point about losing your hair later. I am thankful to have started now, and not earlier. But I know that girls just don't care as much as we think. Keep that in mind, as hard as that might be. Don't let your confidence fall too much, and remember, in 2 or 3 years you might not have the hair that you have now. Depressing thought, but a powerful motivator when it comes to talking to girls and getting a girlfriend.

The only other piece of advice I have it to use minoxidil. I used it, and I have had no shed. I also read on a site that only 10% of users ever have a shed from it. You just hear about it more on this site. But it is better for regrowth, and works to maintain and grow hair in a different way than finasteride, so you are hitting male pattern baldness from a different angle.

I suggest using minoxidil as well.

Good luck.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey you are lucky, I seen your pics on your thread and I would love to have the same amount of hair as you!!

Have to say I don't ever notice hair shedding because my hair is clippered short.

I plan to go with 1/4 proscar, nizoral 1%/T-Gel shampoo and possibly folligen as a growth stimulant just for the time being, and only use minoxidil as a fall back if i have no luck with this combo.

I am sure again as you said that stress may have helped trigger more hairloss...my gf broke up with me, plus had to move flat, and financial problems due to paying two rents, missing lots of uni and behind in all my work...my hair was already going this way before but since I was with someone I tried to ignore it best I could. Its only been since then that its really affected me and I am certain it is falling out at a much greater rate than before. The same as I am sure I have started getting some scalp irritation...although mayb this is all in my mind.

Thanks for the words of advice :)

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pharoh212004/album?.dir=/hair

Well theres the pics of my hair before I started any treatment.

I have been using just T-Gel to wash my hair the last week, soon to be adding some Nizoral (either 1 or 2%) twice a week. I also plan to use some thickening shampoo maybeon the off days, else just baby shampoo.

I got my proscar through today, won't be starting it till tomorrow morning though because I want to get a pill cutter - I plan cutting it atleast into 1/6 portions for a 0.83mg daily dose, which I hope will cut down on some of the side effects.

Now all I need to add is the folligen, I am still trying to find somewhere in the UK I can buy this from though.

And in a months time depending on how things are going and my money situation I may start on the minoxidil, although if I do it will most likely only be once a day.

bombscience

Reaction score
folligen? no, minoxidil

pharoh said:
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pharoh212004/album?.dir=/hair

Well theres the pics of my hair before I started any treatment.

I have been using just T-Gel to wash my hair the last week, soon to be adding some Nizoral (either 1 or 2%) twice a week. I also plan to use some thickening shampoo maybeon the off days, else just baby shampoo.

I got my proscar through today, won't be starting it till tomorrow morning though because I want to get a pill cutter - I plan cutting it atleast into 1/6 portions for a 0.83mg daily dose, which I hope will cut down on some of the side effects.

Now all I need to add is the folligen, I am still trying to find somewhere in the UK I can buy this from though.

And in a months time depending on how things are going and my money situation I may start on the minoxidil, although if I do it will most likely only be once a day.

I think minoxidil is a better option for you to add at this point rather than folligen. Add folligen later if your scalp is irritated.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a quick update though I know its not needed...

Started finasteride a week ago, have currently been cutting proscar into 1/6 (very roughly!), will carry on with this for the next pill and may then increase to 1/5's if I still haven't had any side effects.

So far I don't appear to have any die effects...I think my hair is still thinning just as much. I still wake up with wood every morning, still banging one out every day without fail and semen still the same (sorry guys) - on that note am gona try cut down just in case it makes any difference to DHT levels :)

I plan to start minoxidil at end of January, but still a bit reluctant to start it.

As to my hair...this must be the longest I've had it for a long time, bearing in mind I normally shave it #1 every week without fail. Has been 3 weeks now and probably looks stupid with my "mohican" strip at the front and receding temples so don't know how much longer I will go without shaving it.

I may post some pics soon to see what ppl think :)

One thing that bothers me...does alchohol have any effect on finasteride? Just that being a uni student I do tend to drink a fair old amount, probably a glass or two of wine a night on average, although guess I could cut down.

I also work out and take vitamin C, B complex and cod liver, soon to have MSM added for hair growth. Also drink protein shakes

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
1 month update (propecia)

OK here is an update after my first month on propecia (well 36 days to be exact) - and yes I know its not always good to be making updates every month, but I plan to take pics every month to follow my progress and hopefully it will be useful to other people in my position.

I have been taking proscar since January 15th 2004, I started by cutting into 6ths but very soon moved upto 5ths (so 1mg a day) and have not missed a day. I take it first thing in the morning, and try not to eat too soon after since I read it is better to take it on an empty stomach.

Side effects: none to noticeable, in fact possibly the bigest effect I saw was depression and mood swings, although this seems to have gone now. Saying that, I am NOT saying it was definately due to the finasteride, I had been through quite a lot recently (nasty breakup with longterm gf, moving house, major financial problems) which I think may have helped speed up hairloss. No real noticeable libido effects, nor change in ejaculation consistency. ONE side effect I think has been a slight increase in body hair ( I am a hairy bastard anyway) and maybe spots flaring up once in a while

Progress: Well none that has been noticeable. Hair still seems to be thinning fast, still very thin (in diameter and density on the scalp) and growing slowly compared to sides and back. LUCKILY the thining hairs at my temples are still present which is kinda good. Of course I was not expecting to see any progress this early on.

One good thing (if you can call it good) is that because I keep my hair so short I do not notice shedding which everyone goes on about, although I am aware of how easy my hair comes out when running hands over it or tugging gently. But atleast I don't fret over the amount I am shedding.

PHOTOS http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pharoh212004/album?.dir=/hair: I am sorry again for the quality of the pics. Also this time the lighting is different which I know is not good when trying to make comparisons plus my hair is not quite as short but it is the best I could do. I have put one pic in there with some yellow lines to show where I still have some thinning hair areas which are hard to see - this is where I hope to experience regrowth :)

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
by the way thought I would list my objectives

1)halting further hairloss - if I could keep what I have now I would be more than happy

2) thicken up existing hair

3)regrow hair at temples - bearing in mind there is still hair there rather than being completely slick I hope will help matters

Of course I don't expect this all to happen, just listing in order what I would like to happen

ShedMaster

Reaction score
pharoh said:
by the way thought I would list my objectives

1)halting further hairloss - if I could keep what I have now I would be more than happy

2) thicken up existing hair

3)regrow hair at temples - bearing in mind there is still hair there rather than being completely slick I hope will help matters

Of course I don't expect this all to happen, just listing in order what I would like to happen

I would say those are reasonable goals, and you have a good chace to achieve them. Keep in mind, even the best responders didn't notice a marginal change in the 1st month. If they did, it was probably mental. Theres a good chance it will get worse before it gets better. Keep it up and keep faith. By the way, I would use minoxidil if I were you. Its really not that bad.

sucks2bme

Reaction score
My hairloss looks similar to yours, I am 22 and it sucks. I just ordered some proscar the other day hopefully it will work. I tried propecia about 2 years ago when i first started noticing that my hairline was receding but only used it for about 3 months. I stopped because I didnt think it was doing anything. I have recently started thinking about starting an intensive work out plan to get to a decent size and then shaving it all off, although I would rather just be able to keep my hair if possible. Well let me know how it goes if you start with the minoxidil, I am a little scared to try it since some people shed because of it. Maybe i will just try putting some on the temples to see if any hair grows there. Hmm do you think if i put it on my temples it will affect the surrounding hair in the front and cause it to shed?

Vampa

Reaction score
Eeek it's almost scary to look at your pics. I pulled back my hair yesterday and after looking at your pics, if I shaved my head, it would look EXACTLY like yours!

I'm going to be starting a Nizoral &minoxidil regimen soon, and add propecia/proscar as soon as I can afford it. I'll try to take pics. Hopefully we can both have similar success.

Also, from what I've heard, having a shaved head is better if you're losing your hair. I was reading it in some fashion article that it makes it look "right" that the hairline is further back. I can't do it because my brother has his head shaved and I'd rather us not look alike. Plus, at least now (and hopefully I'll be able to maintain/further this), my hair does a pretty good job covering the temples.

Enquiringminds

Reaction score
Proscar cost

I thought proscar was fairly cheap.....Its true I live in Canada and we get fairly cheap drugs, but the gov't doesn't sponsor cosmetic stuff. With a perscription I think it only cost me 42 dollars for 3 months worth of proscar using 1/4 capsul a day. I checked minoxil and it was more expensive....its different for you I take it?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Pharoh:

How are you doing man? I'd be interested to see how your fairing with your treatments.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Kramer good to hear from ya :)

Well to cut a long story short...you may remember back in march as I was planning to give my 2 month update I had an accidnt with the clippers and shaved off a chunk from my hairline, so decided to delay my monthly update till it had grown back.

Anyway, due to my top/front hair being crappy it took 3 weeks to grow back so just decided to wait until 3 months to give an update. And guess what - I did it again!!! I can't believe it. Decided to cut my hair before I took pics, decided I missed a patch and stuck the clippers on it forgetting I'd taken the guard off. However this time it is ALOT worse, a big 2 inch square right on top of my head, looks like I have a square bald patch :(

I will wait until this has grown back (which won't be for another month) to give an update with pics.

Another reason I will leave the update till then is because I took a forced 3 week break from finasteride, not out of choice but because I ran out then had a long problem with bank cards meaning I couldn't order online etc etc.

So have been back on the finasteride for 5 days after a 3 week break. Not sure if the time off had an adverse affect on my hair, but noticed within days of coming off finasteride that I was getting raging boners all the goddamn time! I hadn't thought my sex drive had been affected, but the finasteride has definately stopped the little man getting aroused so often.

My experiment with henna failed before I really started due to excessive head staining when I tried it. Currently have added Boots botanics conditioner to my regime (only use it few times a week) which has some extracts in it which are supposed to enhance brown in your hair (a mild dye I guess).

Anyway, will update properly with pics next month after I've been back on finasteride for a while.

Kramer - how is your regime going? Good luck to you and everyone else :)