PFS and the Dopamine-Prolactin connection

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Recently, I came across the thread where a new treatment is being discussed that involves antagonism of prolactin and/or the prolactin receptor. I was intrigued by the relationship between dopamine, prolactin, and their receptors and decided to do a little research because of the connection with Finasteride and hyperprolactinemia.

To give a little background: I made a full recovery from PFS due to finasteride use almost 3 years ago, but shortly thereafter put myself right back into the same mess by trying to experiment with topical microdosing of finasteride. I've been steadily (albeit, very slowly) recovering from finasteride since then by replicating what I did the first time I recovered, but about a month ago I decided to incorporate 100% pure l-dopa into my protocol. I did this because I realized that I had been using it for a least a few weeks when I recovered the first time around, but I thought that I had been using mucuna pruriens and didn't think much of it.

After some research, I believe that dopamine and prolactin may be involved in a signaling cascade that leads to regulation of 5-alpha reductase. Both dopamine and DHT have highly anti-prolactinogenic effects. It would make sense to me that the lack of 5AR expression (and, thus, lack of DHT) would cause the suppression of anti-prolactinogenic activity, leading to the hyperprolactinemia that is seen with finasteride use. I've not found any clinical studies defining a relationship between DHT, 5AR, and dopaminergic activity, but I would not be surprised if there's an interdependency between them. Finasteride could have disturbed a self-sustaining feedback loop by decreasing DHT (and, thus, its inhibitory action on prolactin) and set prolactinogenic activity high. With prolactinogenic activity high and dopaminergic activity low, this could be how 5AR expression may be stuck low. There's also a connection between dopamine and human growth hormone releasing hormone (hGHRH). l-dopa causes a significant increase in the secretion of hGHRH (and, thus, hGH) and there have been some interesting stories about hGH helping in the recovery of PFS.

If I recover from finasteride over the coming weeks, it doesn't necessarily mean it was from the l-dopa. That's why, if I do recover, I'd like to see if I can encourage some other people struggling with PFS to try using l-dopa to verify that it played a role in helping me both this time and the last time I recovered.

If you are struggling with PFS, I think I might try l-dopa. The only negative effects that I experience are a temporary increase in epinephrine, elevated heart rate and blood pressure... that nervous fight or flight rush. And technically, if I used carbidopa along with the l-dopa, I probably wouldn't experience those side effects. I'm not really bothered much by them, though.

I'm taking 750 mg of l-dopa, but, if anyone is interested in trying this, I would say that you should use at least 500 mg daily and see how it affects you over the course of 1-3 months. If it actually works, I don't think it should take much longer than a month.

For anyone interested, here are a few of the studies I've looked at over the past week that have led me to this belief:

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Under the "Discussions and conclusions" of the Parkinson study:

These results suggest that neither levodopa nor pramipexole decrease testosterone level in early PD. The observation that the untreated group experienced further lowering of free testosterone levels lends support to the hypothesis that testosterone decline in PD may be a result of disease-specific factors, and that the decline is less likely iatrogenically induced by dopaminergic medications. It is not entirely clear why the increase in free testosterone levels persisted in the dopamine agonist group post-washout. Dopamine agonists have been used in the treatment of prolactinoma, because dopamine is a natural inhibitor of prolactin [9, 10]. Prolactin lowers leutenizing hormone (LH) which in turn lowers testosterone level [1116]. Thus, dopamine agonists may theoretically increase testosterone levels by inhibiting prolactin. This point will need further clarification.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's really interesting.

Btw, did you do any bloodwork before you recovered?

And could you list all the side effects you experienc(ed) with PFS?
I have blood work that I've done in late 2018. During that time I was screwed up from finasteride and to this day I'm still screwed up and recovering.

As far as the side effects, I've pretty much experienced what everyone else has. All the sexual side effects, the cognitive effects, lack of motivation and drive, slow in the head, confusion, loss of physical endurance during workout or sports, poor digestion of food, loss of deep voice. There's probably plenty more I'm leaving out, but mainly those off the top of my head.

Last edited:

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's my blood work. Everything above the line was taken in Jan. of 2019. Below the line was March of 2018. Both of them were taken while using clomid 25 mg daily, so this is why testosterone, free testosterone, SHBG, DHEA are elevated.

Attachments

• 20180326_25mg Clomifene Citrate EOD.png
    20180326_25mg Clomifene Citrate EOD.png
    259 KB · Views: 186

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never felt or been the same person before and after finasteride i feel blunted.. i used to be happy/interested in things now nothng.