Person's story (Updated 16/2/07)

G

Just be patient. Nothing's gonna happen that soon. You haven't been on finasteride for "A Few" weeks. You've been on it for 18 days. You won't see any regrowth for at least 90-120 days.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
wow, i just checked and i really have been on it for 18 days. how did you know? are you that good at remember when i posted? or maybe it was my previous post.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:

I've been on Propecia since September 20th last year.

I've only stopped taking it twice, once was one day, and the second time was half a week.

I've taken pictures to record my progress and I fear that my hair has become worse since last year.

The crown at June last year was very thin. When I started Propecia in September, it appeared to be thicker. Now it seems to have started to thin again.

I feel the thinning is working it's way down towards the top of my head as well (moving from my crown). I don't know if it's because of varying hair cuts, but this seems to be the general pattern at the moment.

The temples are still receeded. I can't tell if they've improved or gotten worse.

I don't know how long it will be before I see some positive results. I hope they'll appear within the next few weeks.

I get more and more depressed with each passing day now. Please somebody tell me that I still have a very good chance of getting more hair soon.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
add to your regimen man, why not do the big 3 and add minoxidil and nizoral shampoo? that's not so hard.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I do use Nizoral, I just don't use minoxidil. I used to, but I found it annoying and it gave my hair a bad look and feel.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
First off. Diet cola, you have an amazing avatar there. That is a pretty ***. (I know it isn't your ***)

Now back to my story: I've checked out the prices of Avodart, and it looks like I'll neither have access to it, nor will I be able to afford it.

I was under the impression it came in 5mg tablets, and that you could split it into portions to save money. I saw on a website that it cost $130US for 30 pills.

I just hope and pray now that finasteride will start working for me soon. I draw inspiration from people who say they respond at around the 6 month mark, bubka for example. Also from the threads about how you have to stick with it for a year before you know you aren't responding well.

I'll take a few more pictures in a month or so, but I know this month will be one of the worst ones since a long time for me. I know because I've contemplated stupid things (suicide, quitting school, self-inflicted pain) more often this month than past months.

At times I think to myself: I can go bald, I'll still find a girl who loves me one day, my friends will still be my friends. Sure I'll be the centre of some ridicule every now and then, but I can just take that in good humour. But the reality of it is, I would never be able to face my family members who mostly have NW1's, or many of the people I know who have NW1's. For these reasons I am depressed, because I know that even though some people will treat me mostly the same, most people will treat me completely differently.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
avodart is hella expensive. your best buying the generics. Most of us get it here..
http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/customer/
I buy Dutas.

What your thinking of is the 5mg fincar tabs that you chop up. Thoes are hella cheap. I'd say unless your a very accelerated case just start of on finasteride and move to dutasteride if necessary.

I'm only 24 and going nw5 so i started on the best possible because of my case.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for 5 months now. I'm not sure if it's working. It's so f*****g fucked up and f*****g depressing I seriously want to end my life so often. I know my hair loss isn't that bad yet. But I know it will get worse over time, and I can't face it. I feel miserable more than I feel good these days. I wish I could keep my train of thought along those positive ones I listed up there, but I honestly just can't. I know people want to say things about how I have so much going for me, or how this isn't the end of the world. But I've heard all that, it doesn't make me feel better.

One thing right now will make me feel better. A miracle cure for male pattern baldness. Hopefully they'll discover it the way they discovered penicillin, by accident. Hopefully while I sleep, so I can wake up to a better day.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's amazing how many people are bald, i wonder some times are all of them depressed or do some people ACTUALLY deep down not care at all. hair loss can make me depressed alot but you can't let it get the best of you. well you can and i think you are, but that's your personal choice to be so negative about it. i know quite a few bald guys that have fun and don't let it ruin their lives, that's the way to go about it. depressed people attract less members of the opposite sex than bald people, so by being depressed about being bald you're really only making your situation much much worse. things WILL be OK. you either will learn to be bald and accept it or you will treat it and all will be well.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
hey person_123, if it's really, really getting you down you might want to try Dutasteride as other people have said. Also get - and stay - on minoxidil if you want to regrow a lot of hair.

I get the feeling though that there's probably a lot more making you feel suicidal than your hair. It might be the thing you have transfered and focused a lot of your troubles on. But I don't want to be too presumptuous!

You might feel better if you try to tackle some of the sh*t going on in you life while you're tackling you hair. Ain't easy I know. Alternatively, if I'm completely wrong and have totally misinterpreted you... just ignore all this!

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want to use minoxidil because it leaves my hair feeling weird. I know rogaine foam is good in that it doesn't do this as much. But I want to grow hair and keep it without using minoxidil. I don't know why exactly, but it's just something I really don't like. I prefer to have a pill every day.

I was thinking about dutasteride, but it seems much too expensive. I just hope that what most people are saying is right, that I will get good results from finasteride really soon.

Hair loss is the major thing in my life making me feel like sh*t. There are other things that may get me down, but they're not at all serious.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stick with it - I'm getting good results after 8 months. But if you want enough regrowth to satisfy you, you need to get on minoxidil. There's no point wanting regrowth and then not using the one product which is most helpful that way. finasteride is more likely to maintain what you have but if what you have is not enough for you the look at the other options.

Australia, eh? I dated a Melbourne girl for a short while. She was fabulous.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be happy to retain what I have, but I want regrowth too. First of all, I want everything to revert back to the first pictures I took 5 months ago. Then, with any luck, more hair than that even.

I know you say minoxidil helps you regrow hair, but the truth is, I was on minoxidil. If you read the first few pages I think it will explain the situation, but I stopped because I didn't want to have to use it every day. It's also scary how quickly you lose all the hair you've gained if you were to stop minoxidil.

G

person_123 said:
First off. Diet cola, you have an amazing avatar there. That is a pretty ***. (I know it isn't your ***)

Now back to my story: I've checked out the prices of Avodart, and it looks like I'll neither have access to it, nor will I be able to afford it.

I was under the impression it came in 5mg tablets, and that you could split it into portions to save money. I saw on a website that it cost $130US for 30 pills.

I just hope and pray now that finasteride will start working for me soon. I draw inspiration from people who say they respond at around the 6 month mark, bubka for example. Also from the threads about how you have to stick with it for a year before you know you aren't responding well.

I'll take a few more pictures in a month or so, but I know this month will be one of the worst ones since a long time for me. I know because I've contemplated stupid things (suicide, quitting school, self-inflicted pain) more often this month than past months.

At times I think to myself: I can go bald, I'll still find a girl who loves me one day, my friends will still be my friends. Sure I'll be the centre of some ridicule every now and then, but I can just take that in good humour. But the reality of it is, I would never be able to face my family members who mostly have NW1's, or many of the people I know who have NW1's. For these reasons I am depressed, because I know that even though some people will treat me mostly the same, most people will treat me completely differently.

I share similiar feelings. I am feeling so inferior to all these NW1 people of my age. Like a piece of sh*t. I couldn´t deal with these people if my hairline is fucked up. To me it would be like we aren´t dealing on the same level anymore. So depressing....

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously dude(s).. Relaaaaaaaax :)

Honestly, I think the best way to stay sane during this ordeal is to stay calm.. Just pop the bloody pill, etc.. Then forget about it! It's the only way! No one is even looking at your hair, except all the other bald(ing) dudes..

Today, style your hair to the best you can, walk out to the nearest place filled with good looking girls, pick one, walk up to her and say, "Sorry, can I just ask you a question, should I shave my head?" (Remember to smile! Maybe drink a beer if you're that scared to do it!).. If she says "yes", shave it and continue the regimen, if she says "no", she'll probably just give you a tip like "cut it short", or "grow it longer" .. 50 bucks says you'll feel better for it, and your confidence will be improved! Just make sure she is alone and doesn't look like a total biatch!

I did this to a girl and she looked at me funny, and said "Why would you shave it?" .. I showed her some pictures on my phone and said "short or long hair?" .. She just said, "You look hotter with it short", and I said "Thanks" .. That's it.. Since then I've ironically decided to grow it long, haha!

Anyway, you'd rather be bald than ugly right? Unless of course you're ugly too, in which case you should seriously think about working on being funny, smart, interesting, cool, confident, etc.. :lol:

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I try not to look at my hair, some times I manage, some times I look at it and see a bit of scalp, so I keep messing with my hair to see more, or less, and usually I feel like crap afterwards. If I don't I'll feel self concious when I'm out, thinking, is my hair looking thin?

What should I do about that? I've tried not caring, but since I'm on the forum, I obviously care.

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
I try not to look at my hair, some times I manage, some times I look at it and see a bit of scalp, so I keep messing with my hair to see more, or less, and usually I feel like crap afterwards. If I don't I'll feel self concious when I'm out, thinking, is my hair looking thin?

What should I do about that? I've tried not caring, but since I'm on the forum, I obviously care.

Dude.. You sound like me before I hardened up!

Step 1 - OK, so what you have to do is STOP thinking about it! Just force yourself not to, like when you get dumped by a girl (like I do ALL the time, haha!).. When it comes into your mind, STOP IT! It's easy, just force yourself to stop :) I've been stressing over mine for almost 2 months, and have lost A LOT of density purely because of stress I swear! Just stop it now!

Step 2 - Next, remember the last time you felt good about your looks? Mine was 2 months ago, and I felt damn sexy! Try to cut your hair in the same way as that time.. I'm in the process of trying to grow mine (MSM is amazing!) out.

Step 3 - Finasteride and Nizoral.. Minoxidil if you're REALLY worried, but it causes sheds first.. Honestly, a lor of chicks like a little bit of a receeding hairline! Makes it easier to bed older gals ;-) Kidding!

Please relax and don't be depressed ok.? :) I can't have a fellow Aussie stressing out and getting all down because of some shitty hair that IS GOING TO GROW BACK ANYWAY! 6 months down the line mate, and you'll be laughing!

Cheers mate!

PS: Or you could shave, that makes you look SUPER confident to the girls.. Or just flaunt your hair like nothing is wrong! Only people who know you already will notice, if any..

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I really can't help it. I'm too self concious about my hair at the moment.

It's gotten back to the stage where it was at before I started Propecia. Whenever I tug a bit at my hair, a few will come out. I sometimes sit here for a few minutes just tugging and placing them on a sheet of paper. It's terribly depressing.

I don't think people who know me notice it at all. Noboby would stare that long and hard at the top of my head after all.

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
I really can't help it. I'm too self concious about my hair at the moment.

It's gotten back to the stage where it was at before I started Propecia. Whenever I tug a bit at my hair, a few will come out. I sometimes sit here for a few minutes just tugging and placing them on a sheet of paper. It's terribly depressing.

I don't think people who know me notice it at all. Noboby would stare that long and hard at the top of my head after all.

It seems to me like you don't even want to get over this depression.. If your hair is better than mine I'll be really p*ssed off the way your talking!

I've lost HEAPS of density over the last 2 months purely because of stressing, and pulling hair out, and brushing, and washing consantly, etc.. If you don't stop NOW you'll make it WAY worse.. So stop..

Really man, it's not easy, but you have to make a big effort just to stop thinking about it :) It's hard, so you just have to force yourself to stop!

The finasteride is working! Just give it time to show results!