Persistent Sexual Side Effects From Finasteride

How long did it take for side effects to resolve AFTER stopping propecia

• Total voters

Jom88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted to survey for some advice. I took finasteride for about a month in October 2018. I'm 22. I lost morning erections the morning right after I took the first pill but decided to stick it out to see if sides would go away, as some suggest on this forum. Eventually, I got full out ED and stopped the drug. For a week or so after stopping, I was back to normal, but then everything went seriously downhill. Morning erections still absent, ED, penis shrinkage when flaccid and erect, severe genital numbness, no libido, no tone to my penis, dilated veins even when flaccid, etc all persist and I'm nearing the 3 month mark since stopping. Labs are fine. I have 2 doctors following my case and they are intrigued but have read the literature and definitely know about it. I just wanted to see if anyone here was hit by something similar and eventually recovered after a few months, and if so, what they did if anything.

I am not interested in starting a debate between people who experienced sides vs those who take it without a problem. I am also not interested in coming here and warning people who will eventually try it anyways, because I was one of them. However, I am a medical student who did his research before this drug, spoke to my teachers about it, and didn't believe any of this until it happened. What I am experiencing is very real and horrifying and I am just looking for some support. Thanks.

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry that you decided to "stick it out" as many idiots on the internet tell you to do. I'm a bit fortunate that my sides were so f*****g bad after 2 days it simply wasn't possible to continue.

I took finasteride from 6 Sep 18 - 7 Sep 18. (2 days, over 4 months ago)

I wouldn't say the effects have fully gone really.

Sorry that you're going through that man. I think the best thing anyone can do is wait it out for 1 year and let the body restore naturally. I was in so much pain 4 months ago. I had one of the worst reactions to this drug given that I only took 2 doses but right now it's like I never took it. Work out and do some pelvic floor exercises.

Good luck. It's gonna be alright I think.

Edit: Removed some stuff.

Last edited:

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry that you decided to "stick it out" as many idiots on the internet tell you to do. I'm a bit fortunate that my sides were so f*****g bad after 2 days it simply wasn't possible to continue.

I took finasteride from 6 Sep 18 - 7 Sep 18. (2 days, over 4 months ago)

I wouldn't say the effects have fully gone really. My issue was bad pain in the prostate and balls, which is currently not happening but it seems to come and go for a few days with weeks in between. It gets milder every time it pops up and right now there's nothing but I'm sure it will show itself again in a few weeks. Basically finasteride gave me prostatitis which is relating to the area that it is supposed to treat. Oh also I had two "crashes" while on/after taking finasteride. Horrible. I did write a whole thing about my experience but I really don't want it on this site.

Sex drive is lower than it was before taking finasteride but there is a lot of things that I can attribute that to; a lot of stuff happened at the same time for me. I'd say it's a combination of pretty much everything and finasteride probably had an impact.

Sorry that you're going through that man. I think the best thing anyone can do is wait it out for 1 year and let the body restore naturally. I was in so much pain 4 months ago. I had one of the worst reactions to this drug given that I only took 2 doses but right now it's like I never took it. Work out and do some pelvic floor exercises.

Good luck. It's gonna be alright I think.

I got this pain bad after 4 days on topical finasteride, I quit straight away.

Sorry you are going through this, there may be other members who have been in the same situation that can help.

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped between 20-30 december and I started getting morning wood, random boners, and wet dreams 3 weeks later.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am soon reaching the 1 year mark. No real improvement.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No improvement in desired result or in improving undesired sides?

Procar_2017

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been 2 years for me..no improvement in reducing side effects...i took 5mg for two months a couple of years ago for prostrate enlargement

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you explain?
i posted that link to propose an alternative
im 2 months off finasteride ; brain damage is now clear for me, my hormones are back to normal. i get morning boners all days, i still feel very light discomfert in my balls, and nothink is back to normal; like sex urge or excitement or orgasm , it seems a long way to go .im very blessed having quit this drug at an early stage( 6months) even it was my biggest mistake that made me learned the biggest lesson .hope i will get better with time .

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i posted that link to propose an alternative
im 2 months off finasteride ; brain damage is now clear for me, my hormones are back to normal. i get morning boners all days, i still feel very light discomfert in my balls, and nothink is back to normal; like sex urge or excitement or orgasm , it seems a long way to go .im very blessed having quit this drug at an early stage( 6months) even it was my biggest mistake that made me learned the biggest lesson .hope i will get better with time .

Why and how did you conclude that you have brain damage? Brain damage from finasteride? So your boners and morning wood returned but you still struggle with libido and ball ache? No improvement at all in the 2 months off? How old are you?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been 2 years for me..no improvement in reducing side effects...i took 5mg for two months a couple of years ago for prostrate enlargement

Yeah, I've been reading your posts/comments and you seemed to have been recouping for a while after trying Cabaser (if I remember correctly) but then it stopped working for you. Have you ever had this issue before trying finasteride? Even small episodes? If I remember right you are struggling with low libido and sexual anhedonia, right? Are you absolutely sure this is from finasteride?

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why and how did you conclude that you have brain damage? Brain damage from finasteride? So your boners and morning wood returned but you still struggle with libido and ball ache? No improvement at all in the 2 months off? How old are you?
middle 20 , i can explain ; random , morning and night boners mean that the hormone levels are coming back to normal but not as before finasteride, there is a change in my brain ,i m 100% sure that im way far from before finasteride state, im like 60 or 70% , that is somthing that i can feel,its not in my head , i still can feel my memory thoughts and overall brain capacity lack, im not trying to scare or lie to any one .i just want to share my exp with other human beings to be aware of the risk that they are taking since im regretting taking finasteride more than any other decision.