Perfectionism, Analysis Paralysis, Perfectionism and Chronic Indecisiveness

kingkong

Reaction score
* The title was specifically crafted to attract OCDs

I'm wondering if people that come here have something in common beside hair loss.

How come do some people go bald and live their lives, and others come here seeking for a solution that will never satisfy them, no matter how good it is.

I have a feeling that many people here "suffer" from perfectionism, analysis paralysis, or chronic indecisiveness (they all closely related). Could it be the case that we're the kind of people that always want things to be perfect, that are never satisfied with what they have, that always overanalyze everything? Are you, like me, constantly browsing hair loss forums trying to find the "perfect" solution, and reading as many testimonials and results as possible? Would you be using a treatment right now if it was not for panic? Would you still be shopping around, reading everything you can about hair loss, but not actually treating it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest that only perfectionists care about hair loss, or that decisive people don't shop around to make sure they make a good decision. But I feel like many people here (including many lurkers) are obsessively trying to find yet another thing to add to their regimen. I believe that most people out there would never go through all of that, and would happily follow their doctor's advices, or simply accept their hair loss (easier said than done, I know).

The point I'm trying to bring here is that hair loss is NOT the only thing making your life miserable. Even if you had a perfect head of hair, many of you would keep finding excuses to be miserable. After all, "crap" and "not-perfect" are synonyms for perfectionists. People with BDD are probably a perfect example of this.

• Does hair loss suck? Yes.
  • Do people treat you differently because of hair loss? If it makes you miserable, they will notice it.
  • Am I doing everything I can to treat my hair loss? Yes.
  • Would the path to acceptance be a better choice? Most likely.

I'm not saying that hair loss is no big deal, or that you should just accept it and go on. But chances are that if you realize that what's stopping you is not actually hair loss (in most cases), you might enjoy life more.

Let's be honest here. If you had a full head of hair (and never felt what hair loss is like), would you truly be happier, or would you find something else to focus on? All answers are good, but my objective is to identify people that might suffer from underlying psychological issues, and see if there's any pattern/correlation.

PS (unrelated): I don't recall noticing baldness in others (unless obvious bald/NW7 people) until I noticed that I was losing hair. And when I noticed, I did not think anything of it. Maybe I'm an isolated case, but this shows how strong self-consciousness is and how it affects how we perceive others. Now, that I'm losing hair, I can't look at someone without noticing the hair line. Maybe women do the same thing with shoes.

9tfrizzco

Established Member
Reaction score
i just don't see myself as a bald man. going bald would kill all my dreams and suck the life out of me. yes i do have my head in the clouds a bit and a i'm bit of a fantasist, though i think lots of people here are like that, young men with uncertain futures that far as we're concerned, are heavily reliant on our appearance. we are in a way deluded but it is fact that it's going to limit the number of women we can attract to varying degrees (some of us drastically, others not so much) and impact the way people perceive us. these are simply important things for lots of us here.

i think if you don't care about balding from my experience you're either pretty successful in other walks of life or just a bit of a numpty who doesn't really think much about anything.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Have you ever looked at the treatments? is it that hard of a question? All the conditions and problems people waste lots of money obsessing over are ones that have no good solutions or treatments. Why do men end up with 20 treatments because nothing works decently so its the only chance to get anything going and no treatment gives you that option I dont think its much harder then that. Some men dont think its worth the hassle,time,money or just dont think hair matters at all. Everyone is different you cant over generalize all men into any one or two categories
If one treatment solved my male pattern baldness I would not be here anymore period. Its really lack of viable options that is the problem