Peppermint Oil probably beneficial due to Rosmarinic Acid content.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So we all know according to this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10641130 Rosmarinic
Acid (in Rosemary) increases PGE2.

However if you look at this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3307200/ that details Rosmarinic
Acid content in Labiatae family plants, specifically Table 2 lists peppermint oil as having 4x the Rosmarinic
Acid content than Rosemary.

Spearmint oil does even better at 8x the content, however the menthol in Peppermint oil causes increased blood flow so most likely results in better absorption.

abcdefg

Reaction score
It still seems to me like something natural would inhibit DHT to some extent. I dont know if just dumping stuff together or wiping peppermint oil on your head is going to get good absorption though if peppermint oil even worked. Even other stuff like saw palmetto, beta sis, caffeine, and so on it seems like something would work pretty good if applied correctly in a topical form. Yet tons of stuff attempted to do that like over priced revivogen that basically dont work. Odd we dont have anything

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It still seems to me like something natural would inhibit DHT to some extent. I dont know if just dumping stuff together or wiping peppermint oil on your head is going to get good absorption though if peppermint oil even worked. Even other stuff like saw palmetto, beta sis, caffeine, and so on it seems like something would work pretty good if applied correctly in a topical form. Yet tons of stuff attempted to do that like over priced revivogen that basically dont work. Odd we dont have anything

It does not inhibit DHT, it (in theory due to the rosmarinic acid content) increases PGE2 and by itself is no replacement for minoxidil. You are definitely getting absorption due to the fact that you get the cooling sensation, you would not get that if there was no absorption. In fact I noticed that when I started using it that there was hardly any reaction on my vertex, which is the area where I have had the least regrowth which would coincide with less absorption. Additionally rosmarinic acid has a molar mass of 360 so will pass through the skin easily.

Sweuser

Reaction score
Hi Robot,

I don't think the oil is a good source for rosmarinic acid: If you look at the composition of oils from Rosemary, spearmint etc...
Rosmarinic acid is water soluble.

I'm interested in increasing PgE, exo- endogenously, and therefor made my own tonic. Just dried spearmint in some water, EtOH, MeOH, filter, and some addition for viscosity. Feels good on skit and smells good, too early to say if it's working though.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well peppermint is a spearmint hybrid, besides none of the plants have particular high amount of RA as a %. Plus I think with all plants the content varies depending on the region.

Why go to all the hassle of making your own solution when you get spearmint oil for a very low cost?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish there was a good choice to buy an enhanced minoxidil topical that contained all of this nice extra stuff.

Sweuser

Reaction score
The amount, they extracted in the paper u linked, 5,85%, is very much pharmacologically significant, also the amount in oil, is not.

The time it took me to make the tonic is less than it takes to make a buy on amazon.

Snake oil

Reaction score
I would suggest using fresh rosemary for blood flow , and take it orally instead.
More effective if get it in your system directly.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Robot,

I don't think the oil is a good source for rosmarinic acid: If you look at the composition of oils from Rosemary, spearmint etc...
Rosmarinic acid is water soluble.

Ok, I understand now due to oil being extracted via steam distillation the Romarinic acid ends up in the hyrdosol rather than the essential oil. Apparently they sell the hydrosol as "Floral Water" really cheap as it only has a very small percentage of the essential oil in it but in the case of spearmint it would contain all the RA. I'm considering getting 500ml or so and slowly boiling off the water and see what I'm left with.

Heavyduty

Reaction score
I'd have to seriously advise against anything of the topical variety that hasn't seen evidence based on studies, or even anecdotal evidence.

Pharmacodynamics is one of the most complex areas of medicine and you do not want to be the guinea pig unless it's your Hail Mary.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd have to seriously advise against anything of the topical variety that hasn't seen evidence based on studies, or even anecdotal evidence.

Pharmacodynamics is one of the most complex areas of medicine and you do not want to be the guinea pig unless it's your Hail Mary.

Well millions of people drink peppermint tea on a daily basis and it's already present in various shampoos.

BaldAsshole

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read that the CYRACOS extract of Melissa Officinalis is 15% Rosmarinic Acid.

Toby0823

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Applying Rosemarie’s or peppermint on your head in hope of some sort of hair thickening?

The world needs to see this and make finding a cure for baldness a priority. Maybe they’ll pity us after seeing the things we’re willing to do. Laser helmets, Italian lotions, and now Rosemarie’s.