People who have maintained without finasteride/dutasteride

Obsidian

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of times those who are not finasteride/dutasteride are considered doom. Hell some try and preach it like gospel but there have been people maintaining without those. Yet I think those even with aggressive hair loss can maintain and possibly regrow (not slick bald areas though)

I think though if you use a topical approach you have to cover it from multiple angles.

Here is two of them.
http://hairlosshelp.com/websites/cloud/

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id=exstatic|gallery1.cfm

Of course IrishPride

and then Inland
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50763

and Brix
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61852&p=582194&hilit=brix#p582194

I can't believe I forgot this guy
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57556&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Although most of his regrowth his probably minoxidil, maybe the spironolactone is keeping it. Wish he would update.

and more.

So I don't think that people are necessarily doomed without internals, I just think it is the easier way about it. Does that mean it will work for you? Don't know, most treatments are a crapshoot. Many people say finasteride didn't work for them and others say it did.

MODS: Sorry if the first two links are not allowed

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
finasteride seems to have stopped my hairloss since I started it 6 months ago.

I have only recently started minoxidil and I am hoping it adds in thickness and maybe a little temple regrowth.

Some people have maintained, but if you look at some of these stories, their "recession" really wasn't there. Irishpride is a weird case because his hairline is 100% intact, its just that he's had weird problems with all of his hair shedding a lot on and off with minoxidil. I honestly think consistent finasteride useage would help him out.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
i like the idea of this thread, and those are 4 cases which i hadn't actually seen before.
having said that, inland says he used propecia...

edit: just noticed that he stopped for the last year. if he has still maintained then that's awesome and touch wood he doesn't begin to lose what he gained back. lotta potential in these threads.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah keep your eye on Hatguy too...

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=59811&p=566005#p566005

He's using spironolactone, Revivogen and minoxidil. Initially he said there was a large shed from Revivogen but that his hair was growing back stronger, but there hasn't been an update for a good couple of months now... I'm very interested to know the outcome.

I'm keeping an eye on these threads too, I believe that if you hit the topical approach from all the different angles you can achieve maintenance for a good number of years.

I'm 4months in with minoxidil and Tricomin and I may consider adding Revivogen once I get to the 6month mark.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your first link there got this written in it:
Night
- finasteride 0.5 mg

Nice thread btw :) i am also using a finasteride free approach. The past week now i have started to shed weak hairs and hairs that to me seems normal. Shall be fun to see the result after 2 - 3 months :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
I must have missed Inlands posts, but just read through his threads, and he seems to have lost hair since quitting finasteride, not the other way round.

Look at his pics on Jul 15th 2009 on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50763&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Then look at his pics almost a year later, 9 months after quitting finasteride on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=55450&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

his hair is not as good, although he states that his hair is better than ever. I think he's in denial, or it's a bad pic.

I'd like to believe it, but from the evidence, I think his hair has thinned since quitting finasteride. Although given the choice of great hair, but health problems, I think he chose the right course of action in quitting.

Obsidian

Reaction score
MrBastard said:
Your first link there got this written in it:
Night
- finasteride 0.5 mg

Nice thread btw :) i am also using a finasteride free approach. The past week now i have started to shed weak hairs and hairs that to me seems normal. Shall be fun to see the result after 2 - 3 months :)

If you look at his after photos it says in the caption 'a year's worth of minoxidil and spironolactone'

Obsidian

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
I must have missed Inlands posts, but just read through his threads, and he seems to have lost hair since quitting finasteride, not the other way round.

Look at his pics on Jul 15th 2009 on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50763&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Then look at his pics almost a year later, 9 months after quitting finasteride on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=55450&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

his hair is not as good, although he states that his hair is better than ever. I think he's in denial, or it's a bad pic.

I'd like to believe it, but from the evidence, I think his hair has thinned since quitting finasteride. Although given the choice of great hair, but health problems, I think he chose the right course of action in quitting.

Yeah, the hairline has taken a hit but the rest of the hair looks alright.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Petchsky - Just stumbed upon this thread and saw my name.

Its interesting seeing some blind feedback, plus I am the master of denial, I saw that when I was on finasteride and could barely get it up.

Whenever I take pictures, I just get excited that I went X amount of more time without aggressive loss. I see the pics and go "YAY HAIR IS BETTER THAN EVER!!" I thought for sure I would be NW5 by 25 and I'm turning 28 next summer. Honestly, most people should ignore the self-evaluations I give. I read them later on and do the face palm. I need to hear it from other people first.

But I think in this case it was just an illusion from the length of the hair / camera angle. I know now how to take proper pictures, and you can tell that by looking at my most recent pics. I really wish I had all the consistent pics over time :/ but oh well. I didn't know you guys were dissecting my threads / pics :)

edit: check the bottom of this page and tell me what you think. Looks like the hairline has improved, but I need that 2nd opinion :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50763&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

pieter

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I'm the fourth guy in the thread Pieter.

I've started thinning again and it looks like propecia will be my destiny in the near future :( Still trying to hold out but don't think I will last more than another 6 months without it!

My Doctor says he has seen more than 10 000 patients and treated them with finasteride, and have only had 2 guys with sides so the sides, although real for some, is probably more in ones head then anything else.

Will keep you guys up to date when I do start to use it.

Obsidian

Reaction score
pieter said:
Hey Guys!

I'm the fourth guy in the thread Pieter.

I've started thinning again and it looks like propecia will be my destiny in the near future :( Still trying to hold out but don't think I will last more than another 6 months without it!

My Doctor says he has seen more than 10 000 patients and treated them with finasteride, and have only had 2 guys with sides so the sides, although real for some, is probably more in ones head then anything else.

Will keep you guys up to date when I do start to use it.

That sucks, oh well, try finasteride and see what happens.

Petchsky

Reaction score
inland said:
edit: check the bottom of this page and tell me what you think. Looks like the hairline has improved, but I need that 2nd opinion :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=50763&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

I feel like i've been talking about you behind your back now :$

Just checked the pics out and i'd say the left pic is ever so slightly better, those little vellus hairs have now gone...

Nevertheless, it's normal for people to lose some hair when quitting finasteride and to still stablize. spironolactone will help, just keep taking pics, preferably in the same conditions and camara etc...