Partial Reversal Of Androgenetic Alopecia With Methotrexate

Juan1991

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this case report. Methotrexate is a chemotherapy agent and immune system suppressant, so it is not a drug to use unless strictly necessary. It is an interesting case report nonetheless and it appears that psoriasis and androgenic alopecia share some of their pathogenesis. It is worth investigating if more psoriasis treatments could also be useful to treat androgenic alopecia.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24153140/

We report the case of a 64-year-old man with androgenetic alopecia who was started on methotrexate therapy for treatment of psoriasis after traditional modalities failed. Following treatment with methotrexate, he noted hair regrowth on the scalp. We propose that methotrexate may inhibit gonadal steroidogenesis, therefore leading to lower testosterone levels, or may increase testosterone aromatization at the hair follicles. These mechanisms may account for the hair growth observed in our patient, which indicates that partial reversal of androgenetic alopecia may be a side effect of methotrexate therapy.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another immunosuppressant that grows hair is cyclosporine A but they're far too dangerous to use. Between that and the prevention of testosterone synthesis that also happens, sure you'll regrow a little hair like this man did but it's a ridiculous approach.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another immunosuppressant...but it's a ridiculous approach.

Androgenetic Alopecia is an autoimmune disease, immunosuppressants might be a cure someday, that implies the hope mankind will actually know something about immune system in the future.

Cause today we don't know sh*t about immune system, we're not even capable to completely cure simple allergies or fully understand why you can go suddently allergic to some molecules through your life or simply born with it, all we can do is relief symptoms and make you kinda insensitive through continuous exposure, just like some venoms or poisons....not quite advanced

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgenetic Alopecia is an autoimmune disease, immunosuppressants might be a cure someday, that implies the hope mankind will actually know something about immune system in the future.

Cause today we don't know sh*t about immune system, we're not even capable to completely cure simple allergies or fully understand why you can go suddently allergic to some molecules through your life or simply born with it, all we can do is relief symptoms and make you kinda insensitive through continuous exposure, just like some venoms or poisons....not quite advanced

Androgenic alopecia is not an autoimmune disease at all. Perhaps you're getting it confused with alopecia areata?

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems it has somethings in common with other Androgenetic Alopecia-reversing drugs:

'Methotrexate is a type of medicine called an immunosuppressant. It slows down your body's immune system and helps reduce inflammation.

It is used to treat inflammatory conditions, including:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methotrexate/

'Conclusion. The current evidence suggests that MTX use is associated with a reduced risk of CVD events in patients with RA. This suggests that reducing the inflammation in RA using MTX not only improves disease-specific outcomes but may also reduce collateral damage such as atherosclerosis.'

Methotrexate.jpg

'Ciclosporin, also spelled cyclosporine and cyclosporin, is a calcineurin inhibitor, used as an immunosuppressant medication. It is a natural product.[3] It is taken by mouth or by injection into a vein for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, [...]'

'A common side effect of both CsA [cyclosporine] and FK506 in the skin is induction of hair growth. This side effect is probably independent of the immune system because it occurs also in T cell-deficient nude mice (49).'

cyclosporine-injection.jpg

'Benoxaprofen [2‐(4‐chlorophenyl)‐α‐methyl‐5‐benzoxazole acetic acid] was given to patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis because of its anti-inflammatory effect.
[...]
A study shows that most side effects appear in patients with rheumatoid arthritis[10]
[...]
A study shows that benoxaprofen, or other lipoxygenase-inhibiting agents, might be helpful in the treatment of psoriasis because the migration inhibition of the inflammatory [white blood] cells (leukocytes) into the skin.[12]'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benoxaprofen

635858739268483208-Oraflex.jpg

bmjcred00603-0024.gif

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1498062/

'Abstract
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) has long been associated with increased cardiovascular risk, but despite substantial improvements in disease management, mortality remains high. Atherosclerosis is more prevalent in RA than in the general population, and atherosclerotic lesions progress at a faster rate and might be more prone to rupture, causing clinical events.'

'The study concluded that patients with psoriasis had a higher prevalence of coronary atherosclerosis (coronary calcification score (CCS) > 0; 28.6% vs. 3.9%, P < 0.01) and a higher degree of coronary atherosclerosis estimated by the mean CCS (67.4 349.2 vs. 0.5 3.0, P < 0.05) compared with controls. Similarly, carotid intimamedia thickness (cIMT) was significantly greater in patients with psoriasis than in control subjects. Multiple logistic regression revealed that psoriasis and serum total cholesterol level were associated with the presence of coronary atherosclerosis (CCS > 0) [1]. [...]
Psoriasis is concomitant with several cardiovascular manifestations, in part because of accelerated atherosclerosis [...]'

'[...] among patients with psoriasis followed for 1 year, improvement in psoriasis severity was associated with improvement in total coronary plaque burden (β=0.45, 0.23–0.67; P<0.001) and NCB (β=0.53, 0.32–0.74; P<0.001) beyond traditional risk factors.'

'Severe vertex pattern Androgenetic Alopecia should be considered to have an increased risk of subclinical atherosclerosis.'

'All six studies together showed that the people who had vertex and frontal balding were 69 percent more likely to have heart disease than those with a full head of hair. People who had just vertex balding had a 52 percent higher chance compared to those who were not balding. The risk dropped to 22 percent more for those with frontal balding.'

'Pathological examination confirmed that both ranitidine and finasteride reduced atherosclerosis and renal [kidney] damage in mice.'

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgenic alopecia is not an autoimmune disease at all. Perhaps you're getting it confused with alopecia areata?
Yes, it is. The final turn it off of the follicle is caused by the inmune system, DHT just started the reaction . In fact, most alopecia are caused , at the end, cause the f*****g inmune system , excample, cicatricial alopecias.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Dude, i just tell you we don't know sh*t about immune system
But Androgenetic Alopecia obviously have immune system correlations in HF health...inflammatory responses and so on...

"The HF maintains its own distinctive immune system, and the interplay between HFs with immune cells ensures proper hair growth and protection against autoimmunity [30, 35, 80, 81]. The immune cells, including macrophages, mast cells, and T cells, modulate the activity of HFSCs (Fig. (Fig.2)2) [3032, 35]. Mast cells are found in the perifollicular compartment of the HF [80]. While the role of mast cells in HFSC activation and differentiation is still unclear, histochemical and ultrastructural analysis in the murine skin showed a high level of degranulation during late telogen to early anagen transition and late anagen to early catagen transition [32, 82]. Several molecules secreted by mast cells could contribute to HF turnover, including histamine and serotonin which promote epidermal keratinocyte proliferation in situ [83]. Mast cell activity is also suspected to contribute to hair loss disorders, such as androgenic alopecia and cicatricial alopecia [8486]."

A functional body part like an hair follicle start to die by it's own ? And you're telling me this is not an autoimmune disease ?
High PGD2 concentration in balding scalp, inflammatory response, does it really not ring your bell ?

Functional complexity of hair follicle stem cell niche and therapeutic targeting of niche dysfunction for hair regeneration
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7073016/

Remember, we still don't know what's trigger allergies in first place through your life, still not ring any bell ?

Edit: I almost forgot, to confirm Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosis, derms tend to check your scalp with traction with fingers, but also look for some seborrheic dermatitis...that can confirm diagnosis...

Seborrheic dermatitis...autoimmune disease...overlapping and coexisting with Androgenetic Alopecia

Last edited:

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it is. The final turn it off of the follicle is caused by the inmune system, DHT just started the reaction . In fact, most alopecia are caused , at the end, cause the f*****g inmune system , excample, cicatricial alopecias.
You can f*** right off I don't think you've ever written anything worth reading

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, i just tell you we don't know sh*t about immune system
But Androgenetic Alopecia obviously have immune system correlations in HF health...inflammatory responses and so on...

"The HF maintains its own distinctive immune system, and the interplay between HFs with immune cells ensures proper hair growth and protection against autoimmunity [30, 35, 80, 81]. The immune cells, including macrophages, mast cells, and T cells, modulate the activity of HFSCs (Fig. (Fig.2)2) [3032, 35]. Mast cells are found in the perifollicular compartment of the HF [80]. While the role of mast cells in HFSC activation and differentiation is still unclear, histochemical and ultrastructural analysis in the murine skin showed a high level of degranulation during late telogen to early anagen transition and late anagen to early catagen transition [32, 82]. Several molecules secreted by mast cells could contribute to HF turnover, including histamine and serotonin which promote epidermal keratinocyte proliferation in situ [83]. Mast cell activity is also suspected to contribute to hair loss disorders, such as androgenic alopecia and cicatricial alopecia [8486]."

A functional body part like an hair follicle start to die by it's own ? And you're telling me this is not an autoimmune disease ?
High PGD2 concentration in balding scalp, inflammatory response, does it really not ring your bell ?

Functional complexity of hair follicle stem cell niche and therapeutic targeting of niche dysfunction for hair regeneration
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7073016/

Remember, we still don't know what's trigger allergies in first place through your life, still not ring any bell ?

Perhaps you should all look up what constitutes an autoimmune disease. It's when your immune system mistakes your own tissue as foreign and triggers a reaction to attack it.

Just because certain cells belonging to the immune system are also in some way involved in other processes in the body such as androgenic alopecia, that doesn't make it an autoimmune disease.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps you should all look up what constitutes an autoimmune disease. It's when your immune system mistakes your own tissue as foreign and triggers a reaction to attack it.

Just because certain cells belonging to the immune system are also in some way involved in other processes in the body such as androgenic alopecia, that doesn't make it an autoimmune disease.

If , your own inmune syste, at the end, attach healthy own body, it is an auto inmune disease . So Androgenetic Alopecia could be consider like that .
For example :
"
The role of inflammation and immunity in the pathogenesis of androgenetic alopecia"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22134564/

"A lymphocytic microfolliculitis targeting the bulge epithelium along with deposits of epithelial basement membrane zone immunoreactants are frequent findings in androgenetic alopecia and could point toward an immunologically driven trigger"

Min0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follicles from balding scalp regrow faster and bigger than doner area follicles when planted into immunodeficient mice.

Obviously Androgenetic Alopecia is related to both hormones and the immune system and other stuff we don't know about yet.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
The fact that the mice are immunodeficient just prevents the hairs from being rejected. It's the healthy scalp environment and lack of DHT that makes them grow. Same thing happens to miniaturized hairs transplanted to a human's arm.

What makes you say that there would be a lack of DHT in a mouse? Far as I can see, mice have similar testosterone levels as humans:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0018506X81900131
(5.2 ± 1.0 ng/ml works out to about 526 ng/dL)

And the transplanted follicle would still have its own 5-alpha reductase enzymes intact to convert it into DHT.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes you say that there would be a lack of DHT in a mouse? Far as I can see, mice have similar testosterone levels as humans:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0018506X81900131
(5.2 ± 1.0 ng/ml works out to about 526 ng/dL)

And the transplanted follicle would still have its own 5-alpha reductase enzymes intact to convert it into DHT.
Not a complete lack of it, but less. You don't have to completely eliminate DHT to stop hair loss. Finasteride only inhibits around 40% of scalp DHT, but it still halts hair loss in most men. It can't give regrowth because of the secondary issues in the scalp, which are fixed when transplanted elsewhere, like to a mouse. If you think Androgenetic Alopecia is an autoimmune disorder then take JAK inhibitors, it will cure you.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not a complete lack of it, but less. You don't have to completely eliminate DHT to stop hair loss. Finasteride only inhibits around 40% of scalp DHT, but it still halts hair loss in most men. It can't give regrowth because of the secondary issues in the scalp, which are fixed when transplanted elsewhere, like to a mouse. If you think Androgenetic Alopecia is an autoimmune disorder then take JAK inhibitors, it will cure you.
Lol, is like saying " if you think that , then multiple sclerosis JAK inhibitors will cure you " that is pretty stupid and can only be base it on a ignorant mind.
There are pretty more thing in the inmune system than JAK, in case you didn't know it . Hey , transplant people also use JAK inhibitors ?
lol

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where have you been for the last five years, did you miss Christiano's research? JAK inhibitors cure autoimmune related hair loss.
Where have you being the last 30 years ?
Yes ? It did cure Decalvans Folliculitis, for example ? Lol dude, really, you are too simple, to ignorant average Joe, don't make me lose my time.