paranoid me again

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, but the dude has great hair! so you mean to tell me that you wouldn't trade little boobies for a great head of hair?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, that's what i'm saying. i mean just imagine being in bed with your lady one night, and her feeling boobs on you. i'd rather her feel my bald head. which would explain why i'm very paranoid about gyno, as it's something i drastically want to avoid.

and could somebody please describe how sore your nipples need to be for it to be gyno? painful enough for you to wince? or painful enough just to make you aware of it? is it equivalent to pinching your nipples as hard as you can? or what is it equivalent to?

and how big are the balls under your nipples if you have gyno? i don't want to suddenly feel some muscle tissue and get paranoid again that it might be a ball. is it fairly obvious? (eyeball size?)

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, let me better rephrase my concerns.

i am sorry that i am asking the same question over. but i'm still unsure and worried about this issue.

i've read that even in the trials, the amount of men who had these symptoms were the same in the placebo trials as normal trials. this tells me something. this tells me that if i worry about it, it can affect me.

which is why i want to be able to stop worrying about it.

but it's hard to do that.

especially as today, i felt both my nipples were tender. they were both very sensitive. i don't know if this is a placebo effect or a symptom. around the circumference of my nipple i feel little lumps. again, i'm not sure if this is a symptom or a naturally occuring thing.

does avodart have the chance of this particular side effect too? because if worse comes to worse, i want to have something to turn to.

please don't post remarks such as "i'm a stupid person" or something along those lines, i genuinely am worried, but i want to know if my worries have any backing, or whether they're just groundless worries. i am. by no means, posting this to vex the fellow users of this forum.

i don't want to wake up one day and actually "have" gyno at an irreversible state. if it's going to happen, i want to stop it as soon as possible. but if it's not going to happen, i'd like to continue taking propecia.

again, i thank evarybody for their inputs.

ps: i feel like this is merely another hurdle in my race against hair loss. if i get past this hurdle, i see no other difficulties in my way. i'd just like to be rid of this worry. thanks for understanding.

Paul December

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you ever consider just wearing a training bra? :lol:
Seriously...even if these are not the dreaded man-boobs, you should stop taking the finasteride or Any non-medically-necessary meds. The amount of hair you have lost worrying about this alone would cause a net loss in the end. You just don't have the personality to stay the course...better to realize this now before causing irreversible damage.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
what do you mean? i feel like i've benefited from finasteride if anything (in terms of hair). i have the personality to stay the course, only if i clear any doubts first.

like with minoxidil, when i first started that, i was worried heaps about applying it twice a day, itching, sore scalp, grey hairs, and all that.

afterwards though, when it was clear that i wasn't getting any of those effects, i didn't worry anymore.

and what do you mean a training bra? i don't need a bra at this point in time. and i hope i never will.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, i've finally come to my senses.

i don't want to complain about "what if's" and "worries" anymore.

nothing is happening to me at the moment out of the ordinary, so i'll just be happy this is so.

sure, i may be feeling funny around my chest area, but i was always sort of fat there to begin with, all i need to do is work out.

sure, i may feel some tingly sensations every once in a while, but i probably always have due to climate change, seasonal irritation, allergic reactions, whatever. point is, it's probably because i'm thinking about it alot and noticing it alot more, whereas in the past, i might have just gone: oh, funny feeling. and then ignored it.

what i'm going to do is not worry about this anymore, and if i actually do get any "serious" symptoms, i'll post it here and ask for your advice then. but for now, since i'm not feeling "major" pain, or even any real pain (just irritation). i'll stop asking "what if" questions.

now that i think about it some more: i might be feeling these irritations because i've been touching myself around the chest area, squeezing, pushing, poking trying to see if i have gyno symptoms. and because i've been doing these poking, pushing, etc, now that area is tender. (like if you continually play with your belly button, it will eventually get sore).

so that's it from me for now. if you hear from me again, don't think "boy who cried wolf" because if you do hear from me again, it will be for something more serious.

thanks for your time, hope it wasn't wasted too much.

(i'll still be on the forums though, hopefully offering good advice and learning as well).

just no more paranoid delusion sh*t.

peace.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
ok. this genuinely sucks.

today, for alot of the day, i felt like my nipples were really sensitive (not sure if i would classify it as pain), but it most definately is not normal. have any of you ever worn those sport singlets that have little holes in them? well, if you do, you'll notice your nipples feel very uncomfortable when brushing against them (at first). this is how i feel. only it isn't at the "extremely" painful stage. i remember when i wore those singlets i'd try to run as little as possible to stop myself hurting. wasn't very good at sports as a results of that.

but back to the point. i know this isn't normal. this isn't one of my paranoid "phantom" pain posts. this is definately something out of the ordinary.

but will this go away? obviously it isn't gyno (i hope), as i don't feel like i have tits, and there isn't a ball under my nipples, and they're not very sore. so those aren't those simptoms. they are tender though.

i'm going to visit the doctor tomorrow to make sure. but i want some advice from people who are experienced in this area as well.

if i keep going with finasteride, will this eventually go away? is it a common side effect? it's something i can live with, but i'd prefer not to. sensitive nipples are not fun. they're irritating.

if the side will go away, how long before it does? if i got this side from finasteride, will i most likely get it from avodart as well?

i'll see what the Doctor says tomorrow, but yeah, contribute your thoughts and advice too please.

bubka

Reaction score
you said you are overweight and already have slight breasts to begin with (correct?) maybe this is just some extra clothing chaffing?

otherwise, i would suggest quitting because you sir just worry way to freaking much

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
if anything, i've been losing weight since starting finasteride, because i've been eating healthier now.

it might just be chaffing from clothing, true. but i feel better since i went to the doctors to confirm it yesterday.

and i know i worry too much, that's just the type of person i am. if i wasn't on propecia, i'd worry even more about hair loss. at least now, since i have peace of mind, i wont worry for a while.

anyway, the point of this post was to say everything is all good now.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
if anything, i've been losing weight since starting finasteride, because i've been eating healthier now.

it might just be chaffing from clothing, true. but i feel better since i went to the doctors to confirm it yesterday.

and i know i worry too much, that's just the type of person i am. if i wasn't on propecia, i'd worry even more about hair loss. at least now, since i have peace of mind, i wont worry for a while.

anyway, the point of this post was to say everything is all good now.

Any shedding?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed much pain in my chest/nipples at all lately. Only due to muscle stress (I've been starting to work out).

The thing is, I've noticed when I wear same sized shirts, now compared to before, I see a bigger chest than before. Is this possible? I haven't experienced pain, so what is this? Am I just imagining things?

And I have fat on the side of my chest (my side region, above love handles). Is this normal? I don't like the fact that I have fat there, and I am going to try and lose it, it makes my chest look more like man-boobs.

Just let me know if fat on the side of the chest is normal. And why does my chest look bigger if I haven't felt any pain?

I tried taking a few pictures, and I feel it does look bigger... Though I can't be sure if it's my mind or whether it's real. I haven't got any pictures from before to compare it to.

Could it be that I'm developing pecs? Or what is it? Does anybody else have fat on the side of their chest? Please tell me it's normal.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the medication is turning you into a woman. :hairy:

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the overly helpful advice. Why do you even bother posting if you're not going to help?

G

I also noticed that my chest started looking bigger after a couple months of being on finasteride.

Also my nipples are sensitive some days (I can feel what I'm wearing, it's very uncomfortable).

I'm just getting used to it as I'm not going to quit finasteride, I know I will get sides as I am messing up with my hormones.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had gyno-like symptoms after 8-12 months on 1mg finasteride daily. My areolas started getting puffy, or appeared to protrude almost as if being pinched to a peak. Basically lumpy tissue developed behind the nipple that wasn't there previously. If you're a guy, this is the last thing you want to see... believe me.

Strangely, I never felt any pain or discomfort in my chest. And only really started noticing the problem after taking a shirtless picture at the beach. I've worked out my entire life, but am not one for looking in the mirror. But comparing before and after pictures really startled me. Suddenly, not only my nipples, but especially my areolas became more pronounced while wearing light shirts; you couldn't miss it.

I immediately cut my finasteride dosage to half, or .5mg, and intensified my cardiovascular workouts, and started some crazy chest training (100 rep sets etc.) Only a year later would I discover charts showing how doses of finasteride as low as .2mg were almost as effective as 1mg... in treating hairloss.

Fast-forward, three years later, and the signs of gynecomastia have mostly vanished. I was probably lucky to catch it before it was too advanced. There are still remaining vestiges of the problem, but nothing about which to be bothered. I wouldn't doubt if some men are more susceptible than others to this problem.

BTW, I remember at one time being mocked and shouted down in this very forum for repeating my story. I guess people didn't want to believe that something helping them grow hair could also be gravely hurting them. Same thing about sexual side effects. I had a good deal reduction of sensation in my penis, and was told it was all in my head. So it's nice to see greater acceptance to any potential side-effects, and perhaps better guidance for this problem.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
well. i've been on finasteride for a month now.

i haven't experienced any major pains, but i have been noticing lumps behind my left nipple. my left nipple has always been a bit bigger than my right though, for reasons unknown to me.

i'm going to visit a doctor again sometime in the next week, and ask them what is happening?

whenever i press into my left nipple, there is sharp and obvious pain, but it goes away after a while.

what are the areolas? I'm not sure what they are. either way, i'm going to start eating healthy so that i can lose weight, that way, i can know for sure if i have gynecomastia for sure or not. i'm sick of being paranoid (also sick of being fat).

did cutting finasteride dosage to half make much difference? how did you know it stopped the gyno? if i cut my dosage to half, how will i tell if my condition is improving?

i'm still not sure if it's gyno, which is annoying me. hopefully the doctors will be able to give me a definate answer this time.