Painful Withdrawal from Propecia?

redsox04

Reaction score
I started taking 1mg of Propecia in Sept. '06. I discontinued use approximately two weeks ago after attributing some issues I was having to being side-effects of finasteride. (anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, sensitivity to caffeine) Since discontinuing, the anxiety and caffeine problems have lessened. However, since saturday I've been experiencing what I can only describe as 'pressure headaches'.

Overall, I feel dizzy and lightheaded and the top, sides and rear of my head feel like they're under pressure. However, it never gets to the throbbing pain of a typical headache. Sometimes I feel the pressure in my ears as if they need to pop, but this is not common. Frequently the pressure will increase for a brief moment, making me feel faint, then it subsides. The 'headache' seems to go away if I keep moving, like going for a walk. I went to the ER last night and was rushed out of there. They just called it a headache despite my objections, and gave me some morphine and a vicodin prescription. My blood pressure was also elevated.

Could this be a result of my body normalizing its hormone levels after the Propecia treatment? Has anyone else experienced issues after discontinuing their finasteride treatment?

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
redsox04 said:
Could this be a result of my body normalizing its hormone levels after the Propecia treatment? Has anyone else experienced issues after discontinuing their finasteride treatment?
possible but unlikely. the only thing i've heard of happening (rarely) of people who go off finasteride is that side effects sometimes stay for longer than a few weeks off the drug. i guess your body has to adjust to the new hormone levels but it shouldn't make u have headaches that bad at all. i'd see a doctor about it.