Pain from working out.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, well I want to see if any of you dudes have any experience with getting some pain from working out.

I know that people will be quick to say "if you feel pain stop!" and I agree with them but the thing is that i have these small injuries that do not go away even after a year of no exercise.

My achilles and shin and knee get tender and i feel minimal pain in these areas after exercise on a stationary bike.. the pain is not too bad at all, but it is there.

If I work out my chest my left pec gets extremely sore and it is weaker.

Trying to improve strength in these areas does nothing buy make it worse.

I have visited a chiropractor for an extended period of time and the things he did to me did not help.

I also visited a physical therapist for a while and she did not help either.

So my question is this... do you guys get these types of pains from exercising? Do you continue to exercise with the pain?

I just wish I had the ability to go to the gym and just work out. But I can't... I am extremely jealous of those who can work out how they want to. I know the proper way of lifting and even had a very good personal trainer for a while so it is not like i am just using improper form.

Lately I have been just continuing with my workouts even though there is a bit of pain.

Any of you guys have a similar experience?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Blueshard, the advice to always go heavy (or no pain no gain) never accounts for people like you. And those heavy lifters ultimately begin to pay a high price, and face injuries. I started off sensibly slower than those guys, but then built a solid foundation.... and eventually overtook them. They were sometimes sidelined with injuries, which ultimately would hamper their development. Yet, I have never had a SINGLE injury since entering bodybuilding as a teen.

I recommend alternating between light, medium, and heavy days. Especially light weights with high reps will help to strengthen and reinforce the number one thing most bodybuilders and weightlifters repeatedly ignore: connective tissue or ligaments and tendons, and even cartilage. Especially on low energy days, I will go with light weights and high reps. High energy days are spent busting my *** on the heaviest weights possible with absolutely perfect form.

Light sets of 20-24 reps (take shorter breaks in-between sets)
Medium sets of 10-12 reps
Heavy sets of 4-8 reps (you can take longer breaks in-between sets)

This stuff isn't rocket science either. If you feel anything other than a pleasurable pain, immediately stop doing that particular exercise. And Mulder's suggestion is a great one for recovery as well. You should purchase any product that contains MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, along with boswellic acid or especially 5-loxin, and hyaluronic acid.... for instance Osteo Bi-Flex with Joint Shield, great product.