Overwhelmed, panicking and at a complete loss... Need help..

LostGeneticLotto

Reaction score
New member here with rapid/aggressive diffuse and I am sorry for the massive wall of text but I don't really know where else to turn. I will try to give a little bit of incite into my issue. Basically 1 year ago around this time, I had no noticeable hair loss problem at all, thick hair as far as I can remember and couldn't see through to my scalp. 6 months later I have my first physical in a few years, everything is fine, pretty much a good bill of health, and I'm a normal 22 year old. 5 Months later everything is in complete shambles.

I don't know what happened, but I will try and detail my symptoms. I started noticing a DRASTIC difference in my hair around early Oct 2011, not shedding really but after a shower in my bathroom light I could see right through to my scalp. I would comb my hair back and would not have total coverage of my scalp. To my knowledge I don't have a history of early male pattern baldness, both grandfathers had hair until they passed, father has a pretty admirable head of hair in his 60's and my 2 Uncles have receded a bit but no diffuse thinning really. Around this time I also started noticing my sideburns were falling out if i tugged at them gently and the my hair was more brittle, almost like coarse straw, like when I comb it halves of hair would snap off and fall in to the sink. The odd thing is my hairline hasn't moved at all really and is pretty similar to where it has been for a while, but I realize male pattern baldness can begin with diffuse thinning.

So I went to my back to my doctor for a check up and he told me I had lost 15lbs in a matter of 5 months, this worried me as I am already underweight. They did a bunch of blood tests and I came back positive for hypothyroid (weird, because I lost weight not gained). 5.0 is not really high yet but supposedly I am now a 5.0, which he said is still technically normal range but the fact that it had a drastic jump in 5 months and that I have a pretty solid family history of it concerned him. Pretty much every female on my mothers side of the family has it and a few men. My blood tests also confirmed that I have very low testosterone. So i am pretty overwhelmed at this point but I wanted to try to treat my hair loss while it was still treatable and not too noticeable. I really want to get on propecia ASAP but both the dermatologist and endocrinologist I saw do not want to put me on it yet. The endocrinologist said that she didn't want me on any medications that alter hormone levels until my low T and more importantly thyroid fluctuation is figured out. and the derm said that he would rather see me in a few months or so after I have my thyroid regulated then he would discuss the medication with me if I still need it. I don't think I have that kind of time. My hair loss has progressed very fast in a just a few months and If I don't do something I fear I may be in bad shape within the next few months. I have read here how fast some peoples aggressive male pattern baldness progressed and how the key is to catch it early. I tried nizoral but it dried my already coarse hair out even further and might be too harsh for my already brittle hair.

So basically I am in a catch-22 and cycle of misery. I suppose I am of age where I can take the matter into my own hands and order the medication online. I just don't want to lose valuable time with how fast my male pattern baldness or whatever else is cause it is progressing. I can't stop worrying, I'm getting panic attacks for the first time in my life and I have this burning/irritation on my scalp that wont go away. The derm thinks it could be psychosomatic with my worrying but I just don't know.

I'm sorry for the novel, but I just don't know what to do. I don't know if my hair loss is male pattern baldness or something else, or if I should medicate myself or what... I will post some photos later if anyone thinks they will help, but I am pretty confident my hair is not the same as it used to be.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about what you're going through.

First off, get your stress under control. Stress can cause hair loss and some people believe that it can trigger of even speed up male pattern baldness.

With regards to your hair you could try nizoral shampoo a couple of times per week (it's not approved for hair loss but is considered a mild topical anti androgen and may help) - then you have minoxidil - personally it didn't work for me and i don't believe it is particularly effective over a long period of time but others will tell you differently - so this is something you could look into.

I think your endocrinologists are right to keep you off propecia for a while though - your health should come first and if your testosterone levels are low then it's wise not to mess around too much.

Remember, losing your hair is tough but it happens to half of all men and is not the end of the world - it also wont ruin your chances with women which is most guys worry - some women dont like it, some women do and its that simple.