Overuse Of Nizoral Thinned Out And Made My Hair Incredibly Dry. Options?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys as title mentions I used nizoral for too long by accident. It actually made my hair look thinner so I'm just wondering what you guys suggest that I could do. It has happened once before and it recovered by me simply stopping the use of nizoral for a while.

Are there any other options though? Oils, etc. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

iCurly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nirozal wrecked my hair aswel man and i only used it like once every 4 days .it made it soo dry, itchy and inflamed. Made me shed more also. I quit using it like a month ago and my scalp feels better and i am shedding much less. Currently i am using nanogen hair thickening shampoo, i might buy reganepure but i heard that also could have similar effects as nirozal due to then having the same active ingredient.

Also blackseed oil works good for me, i leave it on for a day then i shampoo it. Makes my hair look thicker.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nirozal wrecked my hair aswel man and i only used it like once every 4 days .it made it soo dry, itchy and inflamed. Made me shed more also. I quit using it like a month ago and my scalp feels better and i am shedding much less. Currently i am using nanogen hair thickening shampoo, i might buy reganepure but i heard that also could have similar effects as nirozal due to then having the same active ingredient.

Also blackseed oil works good for me, i leave it on for a day then i shampoo it. Makes my hair look thicker.

It's been working great. I use the normal nizoral every other day, but lately I purchased a new one, left it on for like 20 minutes and it dry out my hair as hell lol. Word of advice, don't put it on for more than 5 min.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been working great. I use the normal nizoral every other day, but lately I purchased a new one, left it on for like 20 minutes and it dry out my hair as hell lol. Word of advice, don't put it on for more than 5 min.

What % Nizoral you use? If it's 1%, Regenpure DR is less harsh on your hair. I left Regenpure for 20 minutes before and of course my hair was squeaky clean but wasn't too bad. Always use a conditioner if you're using a shampoo with Ketoconazole. I've also found blow drying hair on cool instead of air dry helps keep hair less frizzy/dry.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
What % Nizoral you use? If it's 1%, Regenpure DR is less harsh on your hair. I left Regenpure for 20 minutes before and of course my hair was squeaky clean but wasn't too bad. Always use a conditioner if you're using a shampoo with Ketoconazole. I've also found blow drying hair on cool instead of air dry helps keep hair less frizzy/dry.

Nizoral 2%, It ain't regen or anything like that, just cheap bottle for like 10 $

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve completely fried my hair before by letting girl friends and friends bleach it at home. The easiest and most effective treatment for this I found was olive oil. Massage it into the roots and the ends, keep it on for an hour and then rinse it out. Takes a bit of effort to rinse it out with water alone but it’s not that difficult and it’s important you don’t use any shampoo doing this or it will just strip your hair again. Has a ‘deep conditioning’ effect. 1 time use should solve your problem.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve completely fried my hair before by letting girl friends and friends bleach it at home. The easiest and most effective treatment for this I found was olive oil. Massage it into the roots and the ends, keep it on for an hour and then rinse it out. Takes a bit of effort to rinse it out with water alone but it’s not that difficult and it’s important you don’t use any shampoo doing this or it will just strip your hair again. Has a ‘deep conditioning’ effect. 1 time use should solve your problem.

Thanks!

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re supposed to heat the olive oil a bit for it to better soak it into the hair. Sometimes I wouldn’t bother with it and it would still work fine. My hair was always 10x softer and more pliable after and a bit thicker. Eventually your hair will just return back to its natural state.

Beware if you’re not used to your own shedding- you will definitely notice when applying this and rinsing it out. It’s good for hair and has no effect on male pattern baldness, won’t make you lose any more hair than you normally would. But the hairs will stick to you and you will notice all of them lol.

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@hopeforhappiness @Unlucky93 Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it a lot. I'll try out the olive oil trick today, and see how that goes. Should I use conditioner after though? Or should I wait til the next day?
Haven't used olive oil before, but with castor oil, you'll want to leave it in for as little as 15mins or up to 9hours, then use shampoo (I use Alpecin) to get it all out, then use conditioner.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven't used olive oil before, but with castor oil, you'll want to leave it in for as little as 15mins or up to 9hours, then use shampoo (I use Alpecin) to get it all out, then use conditioner.

Don't really have castor oil/olive oil at home atm. Will coconut oil suffice? Do you know anything about it?

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For how long should I leave it on the hair if I want to make the hair less dry?
Only like 15mins as you haven't used it before and unlike castor oil, some (not many) people seem to find it MORE drying, so just give it a little try.

I also recommend this (I've attached a pic). It's super cheap and worked really well when I over-processed my hair with perms and bleach

Attachments

• 20180522_181935.jpg
    20180522_181935.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 167

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys as title mentions I used nizoral for too long by accident. It actually made my hair look thinner so I'm just wondering what you guys suggest that I could do. It has happened once before and it recovered by me simply stopping the use of nizoral for a while.

Are there any other options though? Oils, etc. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

If you use the 2% this will happen - you need to switch to the 1% and use it max 2-3x per week - it's the best shampoo to hinder hair loss

https://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-D-An...lo-20&linkId=cc35f0ffd1720a5f8942dc87acf427ba

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about using the 2% max twice a week from here on out. I usually use it EOD but ever since I got a more harsch ketoconazole shampoo that simply won't work.

The 2% is too drying even at that rate - the 1% is way less harsh and more effective.