Over 2 years on finasteride 1mg, still constant shedding and hairline receding?

Ryko

Reaction score
Basically, I started taking finasteride 1mg a little more than 2 years ago on my 21st birthday. I have taken it everyday since then, with little side effects. Since around day 14 of taking finasteride - till this day, I have been experiencing increased shedding of hairs on my head and for some reason also eyebrows. Bottom line: I have been shedding hairs constantly since I started the medication and even after 2 years of use, my hair is worse than before starting finasteride...

I would also like to point out that my hair was always slightly thin all around even during my teen years, I assume I am classified as a diffuse thinner.

Basically, these are my options currently :

1. Continue finasteride and possibly get a hair transplant in the future
  2. Trying dutasteride and see if there is any improvement
  3. Stop the finasteride and see if there is any improvement
I know you are not doctors here I am simply looking for some advice or opinions on the matter. Any help will be appreciated, maybe someone had a similar experience?

finornottofin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it does not "work" for you in 2 years it is likely never going to work for you. Now it may still be "working" but your hairloss is still aggressive enough that it is only slowing it down. Consider getting a scalp biopsy if you can to see how much scalp dht is there.

Since you tolerate the drug well consider using a topical and oral dose on alternating days to get a localized effect. Dutasteride will obviously be more powerful in terms of reducing dht but take the oral at your own risk. You may want to check out the topical duta thread which some people have scalp but not serum dht reduction (ideal). Since you tolerate finasterifde relatively well even if it doesn't work out that way I would assume that sides shouldn't be too dehabilitating.

Finally you can try a AR antagonist in conjunction with oral finasteride. Personally i wouldn't touch a drug long term that there is not a sufficient length study for in humans. So out of all of these i would only consider CB because they have an ongoing phase 3 trial and it has been cleared at a lower dose for another problem (but sourcing and formulating it will be a pain).

On the off chance you could also have Telogen Effluvium further aggravated by your stress about hairloss.

Ryko

Reaction score
If it does not "work" for you in 2 years it is likely never going to work for you. Now it may still be "working" but your hairloss is still aggressive enough that it is only slowing it down. Consider getting a scalp biopsy if you can to see how much scalp dht is there.

Since you tolerate the drug well consider using a topical and oral dose on alternating days to get a localized effect. Dutasteride will obviously be more powerful in terms of reducing dht but take the oral at your own risk. You may want to check out the topical duta thread which some people have scalp but not serum dht reduction (ideal). Since you tolerate finasterifde relatively well even if it doesn't work out that way I would assume that sides shouldn't be too dehabilitating.

Finally you can try a AR antagonist in conjunction with oral finasteride. Personally i wouldn't touch a drug long term that there is not a sufficient length study for in humans. So out of all of these i would only consider CB because they have an ongoing phase 3 trial and it has been cleared at a lower dose for another problem (but sourcing and formulating it will be a pain).

On the off chance you could also have Telogen Effluvium further aggravated by your stress about hairloss.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, do you think it's worth trying to see how my hair will respond being off Finasteride? I may not have side effects but I rather not be on a drug that does not improve or maintain my hair. Unless would you recommend staying on finasteride if I want to get a hair transplant?

Last edited:

finornottofin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the detailed reply, do you think it's worth trying to see how my hair will respond being off Finasteride? I may not have side effects but I rather not be on a drug that does not improve or maintain my hair. Unless would you recommend staying on finasteride if I want to get a hair transplant?
A scalp biopsy would answer your question. Even though you don't have a baseline, if your results show much lower than average scalp DHT finasteride is likely doing something. Since you've been on the drug for two years it may take a couple months to see a change in shedding after stopping since 5-ar will take along time to come back to normal levels. As for transplants, you need a mechanism that works to halt hair loss so that you dont get a weird recession pattern. finasteride is obviously not doing that doing that for you so you will likely need to get on something more potent if you still want to save your hair.

johnlogan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same experience. It took a long time to reverse the hair loss. Im 16 years in and happy with my result. After about 8-9 years I stated to bald again and switched to 5mg. Still works for me. Don’t give up.

inmyhead

Reaction score
I had the same experience. It took a long time to reverse the hair loss. Im 16 years in and happy with my result. After about 8-9 years I stated to bald again and switched to 5mg. Still works for me. Don’t give up.
You mean you needed few years for finasteride to work?

jazz1

Reaction score
5mg? You take proscar full tablet per day?