outstanding's Story

outstanding

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm 24 going on 25. I had noticed my hairline was starting to recede noticeably a year or two ago, but it wasn't until my haircutter(s) pointed out to me that my hair was thinning that I started to take notice. The first time I received the comment my response was 'yeh.. right'. But I've gotten the same remark from three different haircutters and a gf, now an ex-gf (the ex's insensitivity on the whole issue drove me away from her). And I had thought that the haircutters were just trying to con me into buying a hair product... since december I've noticed that I am thinning right behind my hairline, and in Late January, I decided to do something about it. I'm currently using 5% minoxidil and propecia tablets.

So I guess you can say I went from denial-anger-acceptance-reaction (is there a 12 step program for hairloss?) I guess I have my ex-gf and my haircutter to thank for me taking the initiative to confront the issue 'head on'.

I plan to update this thread semi-regularly, to show my (hopeful) progress/stabilization. I took a set of photos last month and plan to update when I think my hair is similar in length to the original photos.

I have received a lot of frustration from before/afters where it is not obvious that it is the same person or where results are obscured due to hairlength or lighting. Sad to say that most of the stories I see on the hairloss forums seem to be getting inappropriately dubbed as 'excellent responders' when it isn't really apparent that there was a problem in the first place.

Side Effects: I have noticed a few side effects. The most obvious one is dry/itchy scalp. From time to time I notice hair on the pillow or sink/tub. I'm not sure if this is increased shed or not. I have also noticed what I believed to be watery semen. Again, I'm not sure if it is or not.

Reactions to Side Effects:
Dry Scalp
I've been using Neutrogena T-gel about 3-4 time a week and head and shoulders on the other days. I also use Vive Conditioner for fine/thinning hair. This seems to keep my dry scalp in check and makes me feel that I'm doing what I need to keep my hair as healthy as possible.

shedding
Yes, it does kindof get me on edge. But I find if I stand 2 feet from the mirror and look at my hair... it looks just as good as it did the day before. and this helps me make it out from the mirror and helps me have a productive day.

watery semen
Haven't really figured out what to do to this yet... I was concerned that propecia might cause problems... in which case I was prepared to go let balding run its course and still be able to function. Luckily, all seems well down there... and hopefully this will go away.

I'll post the pictures that I took last month in a day or so.

Let me know if there's any other info you'd like to know.

outstanding

Reaction score
front.jpg

left_side.jpg

right_side.jpg

top_dry.jpg

top_wet.jpg

I got a little overambitious and went ahead and resized/cropped them tonight to post.

perhaps it's not obvious in the first 4... but the wet hair pic seems to show thinning the best to me. These were all taken 02/09/2006 (with the exception of the last, that was 02/15/2006). Updates to follow in the next coming months.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing the right thing.

I hope the results come to you soon.

Best of luck, but you won't need it!

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate that minoxidil itchy scalp. Hard to get rid of. nizoral shampoo seems to help. Keep up with your regimen. I had the same sides as well.