Other Finasteride side effects- weight gain, water retention

everlastinggaze

Reaction score
These aren't talked about that much. Anyone notice weight gain or flab since starting finasteride? Maybe a puffy face or fat on the chest and abs?

I work out alot and take pride in my body and don't want to see extra flab on my 6 pak that i'm working on.

NHLfan

Reaction score
Yeah...I used to have some pretty sweet abs, but gained a whole bunch of weight on finasteride (there was no other change to my lifestyle, and I'm rather dedicated at the gym). I gained it mostly on my abs and chest in the 1st 2 months.

I'm on 0.25mg dosage now, and I think it's stabilzed and I've even begun to lose some of the weight. I'm planning on getting back to where I was before the new year by June, or else it's time to quit

holyhead

Reaction score
I got the water weight gain around stomach big time after stopping this ****...Suck a dick merck...

shookwun

Reaction score
I got the water weight gain around stomach big time after stopping this ****...Suck a dick merck...

beta genes. :mrgreen:

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I used to have some pretty sweet abs, but gained a whole bunch of weight on finasteride (there was no other change to my lifestyle, and I'm rather dedicated at the gym). I gained it mostly on my abs and chest in the 1st 2 months.

I'm on 0.25mg dosage now, and I think it's stabilzed and I've even begun to lose some of the weight. I'm planning on getting back to where I was before the new year by June, or else it's time to quit

Is this dose recommended ? Seems low.
I started 2 months ago today. 1.25 Proscar (finasteride).

Been having very low sex drive the past week. Watery semen went away though. Hair is worse too

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are classic side effects associated with high estrogen levels.
Get a blood test to be sure, but I'm sure high e2 is responsible.
Water retention, low sex drive, probably mood swings, lack lustre erections, a few pimples that didn't exist before, etc... all estrogen related.

Hop on some aromasin or arimidex and it'll clear up in no time.

br1

Reaction score
I never noticed weight gain. But when I quit finasteride, during the first 2 months I lost fat on the waist/belly region soooo easily.. even working out less, I would just get ripped.

- - - Updated - - -

I never noticed weight gain. But when I quit finasteride, during the first 2 months I lost fat on the waist/belly region soooo easily.. even working out less, I would just get ripped.

I wasn't fat while on finasteride, though. Just not ripped.. :p

holyhead

Reaction score
Damn I was hoping this would clear up on its own in time..just seems to be worsning..but I am get more hard ons and sex drive has increased but my swollen waist remains..It looks rather odd or abnormal and I have also noted a difference in skin appearance itself..I didn't even notice the lack of sex drive until after stopping the drug for months...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah my hair also got worse and looks nothing now like it did before starting the drug..The density is way less and it sheds constantly and it didn't before..Even the texture has changed and it's finer..Before my hair was thick and strong feeling..Now it's sorta wavy and thin..

br1

Reaction score
Damn I was hoping this would clear up on its own in time..just seems to be worsning..but I am get more hard ons and sex drive has increased but my swollen waist remains..It looks rather odd or abnormal and I have also noted a difference in skin appearance itself..I didn't even notice the lack of sex drive until after stopping the drug for months...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah my hair also got worse and looks nothing now like it did before starting the drug..The density is way less and it sheds constantly and it didn't before..Even the texture has changed and it's finer..Before my hair was thick and strong feeling..Now it's sorta wavy and thin..

for how long did you take finasteride?

holyhead

Reaction score
6 months..Been off about 8..I looked up the drugs they mentioned above for estrogen..Looks like they for postmenopausal women with breast cancer..How am I to get a script for that? I am serious about this guys..from my experience don't mess with this crap if your hair loss isn't even to the point of you noticing shedding..Mine wasn't but boy did it she'd after this and I just have such guilt and regret over this..u just keep thinking of your life before taking this..over and over..your just not the same as before taking it..hard to explain.

br1

Reaction score
Man, I took finasteride for 13+ years.. never had any issues...

I am off it for 4 months now.. didn't notice any changes either.. Well, I did notice some increased sensations in my orgasms.. but now it's back to normal..

My hair thinned after I quit finasteride, it was thicker before I started.. but hey, I was 25.. I am 38 now, I have no means to know if my hair would still be thick... :/

- - - Updated - - -

You might very well be suffering from stress.. Stress can and DOES affect the hormones levels..

I tell you what, I quit finasteride because I got scared after reading a lot of **** online.. Before that, I was a happy ignorant.. I am considering going back to it, but now I can't un-read what I read.. Even though I never had ONE issue with it. Never felt better than while I was on finasteride.. Hair loss was something I did NOT worried about, never..

Now, it's a constant worry in bogging me all the time.. "am I going to bald in like 1 year?", "was finasteride really keeping my hair or I got a ****ty up-regulation and I am balding BECAUSE of finasteride?", etc etc... I stressed so much, to the point I could not sleep for 4 days STRAIGHT. ZERO hours of sleep.. Of course I thought I was going through PFS..

What I did? Well, my wife helped me a lot, I can say... I put my sh1t together, calmed down.. Managed to get back to my normal routine (exercises, food, etc), and my sleep is just fine. Energy levels too.. I am still a bit depressed, for sure. As I am balding again, after freaking 15 years... My hair was absolute the same during this period.. now my hairline has receded a good 2cm at least, and my hair is much thinner in general..

So, chill out.. I know it's not easy. But try for a month, one day at a time. And let your body adjust itself. It will!

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im serious too man,
Your side effects are related to high estrogen.
Get a blood test to confirm,
Its not hard to get these medications..
Finasteride was originally prescribed for guys with enlarged prostates/prostate cancer, remember that

holyhead

Reaction score
I am just getting worse..It's not stoping..I am gonna try and find an endocrinologist soon..I went to my primary dr back after I had not been taking the med long..she said blood was normal but I don't really know what they took..she said them estrogen was normal range..

holyhead

Reaction score
I think basic ly ftom other thing I have read and experienced first hand it's safe to say this **** will **** u up..I don't understand why this even stays on the market..I have even had thoughts of killing myself over what this has done...

holyhead

Reaction score
Saw my dr last week..weight is getting even worse.Did a cbc said it was all normal and put me on prozac..Refered me to a holistic Medical clinic next where she said they do a mouth swab test for hormones..I am going there next week.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Man, I took finasteride for 13+ years.. never had any issues...

I am off it for 4 months now.. didn't notice any changes either.. Well, I did notice some increased sensations in my orgasms.. but now it's back to normal..

My hair thinned after I quit finasteride, it was thicker before I started.. but hey, I was 25.. I am 38 now, I have no means to know if my hair would still be thick... :/

- - - Updated - - -

You might very well be suffering from stress.. Stress can and DOES affect the hormones levels..

I tell you what, I quit finasteride because I got scared after reading a lot of **** online.. Before that, I was a happy ignorant.. I am considering going back to it, but now I can't un-read what I read.. Even though I never had ONE issue with it. Never felt better than while I was on finasteride.. Hair loss was something I did NOT worried about, never..

Now, it's a constant worry in bogging me all the time.. "am I going to bald in like 1 year?", "was finasteride really keeping my hair or I got a ****ty up-regulation and I am balding BECAUSE of finasteride?", etc etc... I stressed so much, to the point I could not sleep for 4 days STRAIGHT. ZERO hours of sleep.. Of course I thought I was going through PFS..

What I did? Well, my wife helped me a lot, I can say... I put my sh1t together, calmed down.. Managed to get back to my normal routine (exercises, food, etc), and my sleep is just fine. Energy levels too.. I am still a bit depressed, for sure. As I am balding again, after freaking 15 years... My hair was absolute the same during this period.. now my hairline has receded a good 2cm at least, and my hair is much thinner in general..

So, chill out.. I know it's not easy. But try for a month, one day at a time. And let your body adjust itself. It will!

I have suffered from bad depression / anxiety before taking finasteride. I read a lot about finasteride before taking it, and PFS seems very very similar to anxiety/depression imo. For me it came out of nowhere. I spent thousands of dollars going to many doctors to figure out what was wrong. If I would have taken finasteride a couple years earlier I would be on those forums blaming it for ruining my life / cursing merks existence / ect. I think misdiagnosing it as 'PFS' is even worse because those affected are never going to get better when they are blaming the wrong thing. My 2 cents I guess