OT: Someone asking how many sets you have left at the gym

baldguy28

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been approached by guys at the gym multiple times in the past few weeks asking how many sets I have left even if I just got on a machine. Do you view this as a sign of me looking like a pushover? Normally if I need to use a machine, I'll wait until the person at the machine is done using it to do my sets unless he has just been sitting there doing nothing for awhile.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah, nobody asks a huge guy how much longer he's going to be. Its just their way of saying hurry the f"^k up.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did was invest in my own equipment. I work out whenever I want, all hours of the day and night. I take as much time as needed between sets. And I have absolutely no distractions. I've had some of the best workouts of my life. When I get the impulse to workout, my gym is just a few steps away. I'll even sometimes do housework between supersetting. ;)

CCS

Reaction score
I regularly ask big and small guys if they are using a machine, if they seem to just be there by circumstance and not doing anything. I can usually tell if he's taking a break or just felt like sitting somewhere random. If he's taking a break, and there is not too much or too little weight on the bar, I ask if I can work in. I never had an issue.

Some guys ask me if I'm using a machine when I'm taking a break, but no one asks me how many sets I have. And I don't care if they do. I'll just tell them how many I have, and if that is 5 minutes, they'll know to move on.

Last night at the gym I saw a guy my size struggling to bench 85 pounds. That brought back some memories of when I first started lifting. Amazing how the weight just keeps climbing over the years even though my body seems to look about the same.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Re: OT: Someone asking how many sets you have left at the g

baldguy28 said:
I have been approached by guys at the gym multiple times in the past few weeks asking how many sets I have left even if I just got on a machine. Do you view this as a sign of me looking like a pushover?
Asking that question is normal and acceptible gym etiquette. They aren't trying to rush you, it is a way of asking whether or not you would mind if they "worked in" with you.

baldguy28 said:
Normally if I need to use a machine, I'll wait until the person at the machine is done using it to do my sets unless he has just been sitting there doing nothing for awhile.
It is accepted etiquette to allow others to "work in", and share a machine, taking turns with your sets.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't get too worried about it, gyms get busy, and people only have a certain amount of time. If someone is standing around looking like they're waiting i'll offer to let them work in. But, if i get the vibe like someone is 'trying' to rush me, i usually slow right down, kick back, stretch etc etc. You pay your membership just like them, so if they don't want to play nice, f*ck em :p

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that people tend to hog machines and benchs, etc. The old way, and from what I can remember, the correct way, was to say "can I work in?".
Just because you are doing sets, doesn't mean you own the goddamn thing for 5-8miinutes- let someone else do sets in between, just don't let them take over or determine your pace. Really 3-4 people should be able to share and apparatus. And personal trainers are notorious for hogging gear for their clients- it seems too take ten minutes for them to do 3 sets,as they yammer and pump up their clients. Really, most of us don't have time for that- we are all paying dues, so working in on the same gear should be no big deal.

trapsource

Reaction score
ill only ask if that is a one of a kind machine that I must do, which is extremely rare. If someone is using a machine(unless the gym is packed) ill do something else and return when buddy is finished. If someone asks me, and I have a lot left they move to something else. If I have I or two sets ill let them know as well. There are tons of options and excersies you can do instead of waiting on a paticular machine.