OT : Does Propecia work against ACNE ?

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
It did for me and I know a few others have said the same. I had very mild acne, which the propecia has since cleared and my skin isn't as oily as it once was either.

On the other hand, others have said that finasteride made their acne worse or that finasteride gave them acne... so it seems like a bit of a crap shoot.

DarkSockedFox

Reaction score
In all honesty my acne seems to be a bit worse now that I'm on finasteride. I'd reached the point where it was basically 100% under control with just salicylic acid and benzo treatments. Now I'm back to fighting the occasional breakout.

Moony

Reaction score
Mine actually seemed to have gotten worse also. I'm not sure if it was due to finasteride but it definitely got bad for the first time during taking finasteride.

On a side note, I'm using a benzoyl peroxide face wash and that is clearing it up.

rint

Reaction score
I had mild acne, and it cleared most of it up. If I stop finasteride for a few days, it comes back.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
captain_que said:
Simple: has anybody had any luck reducing acne with propecia? :)

If even MK386 (Merck's experimental 5a-reductase type I inhibitor) failed to help acne in a large, carefully-controlled trial a few years ago, what do you think is the chance that Propecia could do that? :)

shadowRX

Established Member
Reaction score
I can also attest to my acne completely clearing up. I only had mild acne, but I at least always had one pimple. I haven't seen a pimple in about 2 months, though they do come up occasionally.

Also, I know for a fact this is not due to aging, because when I had quit finasteride for about 4 months my acne was terrible the whole time, and as soon as I started it got better.

Maybe there is a correlation between Acne clearing up and effectiveness of the treatment? Perhaps something to due with the type of DHT AR receptor.

Of you who have had your acne get better, has finasteride stabilized your hairless?

For me it has.

(This is by no means a scientific study Bryan :p )

abcdefg

Reaction score
Did the type 1 blocker merk tried have any affect on the skin quality of certain people? It seems since 5 ar type 1 is found in the skin mainly that reducing it would have some affect on your skin over time.