Ordering Second Piece. Wondering What Base To Get.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've a full lace unit with which I'm very happy right now, but I take it off pretty frequently and worry doing so will compromise the shelf life of the hair piece.

I'm considering getting a poly-side-and-back wig for my next one.

Will I, having come from lace, be disappointed? Is it much thicker/hotter?

Last edited:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been there, so here is my take on it.
Pros for poly side and back on a lace unit are:
- less fraying on side, back
- unit keeps it's curved head shape, where as all lace unit would flatten out and I end up with creases at edges
- less shedding on poly parts
- more sturdy ( unit and bond)

Cons with poly sides-back are:
- thicker edge so more detectable when running fingers through hair. You feel a ridge at joint whereas lace is less thick
- poly side can sometimes be seen at temple for light density but for custom pieces, ask the the poly start one inch further back.

For custom orders, you should also be able to ask for thinner poly if that is an issue. Also you can specify the width of poly. I prefer one inch or less, idealy the width of the tape you use.

I don't find it hotter than all lace unit.

hope this helps

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Ordered an all-lace before getting this response. Good deal from Lord. Hope it's good.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will say, I have a rather expensive French lace system, and I have no issues with fraying, shape, and shedding. I have one that I retired after wearing on and off for a year.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow toobad, for a 3 mil piece, that's amazing. What is your routine (or secret) to be able to use it that long?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow toobad, for a 3 mil piece, that's amazing. What is your routine (or secret) to be able to use it that long?
Shampoo every 5-7 days with pro hair labs, rinse and condition with Redken extreme daily.... if it's feeling extra dry I also add Redken all soft Mega too. When it starts to lose a bit of its red tone and appears greenish, I use One and Only Argan Oil color conditioner. ( typically every couple weeks once it approaches 2 months of use) then follow up again with the Redken conditioner.... I rotate daily leave in conditioner's: Redken one United, Redken Anti snap, Biosilk serum, or jojoba oil. Jojoba oil makes it look and feel the best. I think one of the biggest things that made it last so long, and it's still going, is not trimming back the hairline every time I see a little extra poly or missing hair.... being so picky in the past I ended up trimming a quarter inch (over time) and and had to keep stretching it to fit Also not scratching my head when I have an itch. I now place a towel or cloth on my head and scratch that instead of the hair. Styling products: Redken cream pomade and elnett hairspray. Typically though, I style it when wet with a blow dryer and then hit it lightly with elnett UV Hairspray. Elnett is known for being the finest mist and hitting it with a brush basically makes the hair spray disappear. Extremely happy it's lasting so long. However, not all is as great for me.

I have oily skin and can't seem to get more than 3 days out of clear Bonded hairline and 7 or so days out of a taped perimeter.
Things I've tried:
*Scalp scrub
*Pro Hair Labs dermal mud
* Max hold Sport scalp protector
* Walker no sweat
* HD no sweat
* KP scalp protector
* Davlyn Green
* Davlyn Black
* Ultra hold
* Ghost bond platinum
* Ghost bond Supreme
* Super tape
* Ultra hold tape
* Sunshine tape
* Tac Duo
* Lace front tape
* Stick it tape
* All base tape

Believe it or not other than adding the max hold sport, there's no appreciable difference between products

I am planning on ordering 3-mil tape to try on the hairline....

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've a full lace unit with which I'm very happy right now, but I take it off pretty frequently and worry doing so will compromise the shelf life of the hair piece.

I'm considering getting a poly-side-and-back wig for my next one.

Will I, having come from lace, be disappointed? Is it much thicker/hotter?

My
1st System Full French Lace
2nd System French lace with clear poly(skin) on the sides and back.
3rd system .08mm Super Thin Skin (STS)
4th system .03mm Ultra Thin Skin (UTS)

I like UTS the best because the clean up is so easy and super comfortable. I don't recommend wear UTS for more than 3 days if you sweat a lot or during summer. I swap it to lace on weekend backpacking trips with stronger tapes and glues.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm very impressed by this all-lace (French) system from Lord Hair.

Its quality clearly exceeds that of the first stock unit I bought for like 400 USD from a salon.

The base has better reinforcements to hold the unit's shape, the knots are at least somewhat bleached & the hairline density is graduated.

Now I can go HAM on my original unit, testing & experimenting, not babying the toupee as I got a beautiful backup!